Rode today - anyone else?

rayzzr

Took the bikes out and ran them for a bit, dumped in some Startron stabilizer, wiped them down, and parked them for the season. Roads were clear of salt and grime from the rain, and I didn't see too many potholes.

I wonder how many more 'warm' days we will have until spring?

Today was actually not that bad. I wore a base layer with a fleece long sleeve shirt under my Olympia Phantom suit. If you find one of those on clearance, buy it. Very versatile textile suit, and blocks the wind well. Get it a bit big if you plan to layer up under it. Mine fits near perfect, save for the collar. Even expanded to the widest point it feels like it is choking me. Nothing a seamstress with a roll of Velcro couldn't fit. The suit would be likely miserable in the summer though, I wear mesh gear then.

Saw one guy on a Harley sans helmet. He looked cold.

I got the bike out, started it up and let it run a bit. Doesn't count but it made me happy to hear the vroom vroom

Too much salt on the roads for me

Me too!!!  Wanted to ride but just a bit too much salt where I live.  Started it up and let her run a bit to wet my palette and make me want to ride... :cry:

30 miles, man it sure felt good. The upside of all the rain we got is that most of the salt was washed off the roads.

50 degrees is my limit as I can ride with base layer under normal riding clothing. Anything colder than that and I have to start putting on ski gear and that gets too bulky. Not going to electo aides or a suit, quite yet.

Put 150 miles on last Sunday (12/22 after the big rains) and rode out to Serpent Mound, 100 miles Friday morning (started out when the temp was in the low 30s) and about 150 miles yesterday.  There was a bit of salt around, but I look at bikes as depreciable assets.  They're gonna lose money whether I ride 'em or not.  Little water will wash the salt off and keep the rust at bay.

I do begin to feel like a little kid going out to play in the snow, all bundled up.  And just like a little kid, it seems like I gotta pee right after I get the last of my gear on….

Got the VFR and the new Buell out and let them idle in the driveway till they got good and warmed up.  Went down the road and back, about 10 minutes each.  Very tempting to take off, but I had family coming over and still had to put on a pot of venison chili...

blue balls?

this made me LOL! 

yes blue balls are partially the issue. The other part of the issue, is that "they" claim not allowing an engine to get up to operating temp does more harm than good. Moisture inside your engine doesn't get evaporated because its never to temp. Thus starting the corrosion process. 

I rarely go out for a ride just to go for a ride, but I ride almost everywhere I need to go. So I was out running some errands yesterday, less than 50 miles. Salt on the roads? Lots, which is why I took the old bike. One thing I was reminded of is that when the salt gets thick, it worsens the already poor traction due to the cold. I felt some slippage at really modest lean angles once or twice AFTER my tires were "warm." Well, as warm as they were going to get.

this made me LOL! 

yes blue balls are partially the issue. The other part of the issue, is that "they" claim not allowing an engine to get up to operating temp does more harm than good. Moisture inside your engine doesn't get evaporated because its never to temp. Thus starting the corrosion process. 

Yeah, I had heard that before. I ran it for about 20 mins with some good revving in there at the end. I think she got pretty hot.

No riding for me. I'm stuck down here in St. Lucia. The roads down here make Deals Gap look straight though. Would have rented something two wheeled but the open culverts, poor pavement, 1000 foot vertical run offs, crazy local drivers, & driving on the wrong side of the road dissuaded me. Rented a microMazda instead.