Need advice dealing with a car dealership

smashweights

So here's the story, I bought a '09 Subaru Legacy back in 2011 as a Certified Pre-Owned car.  They have all these requirements that the dealership is supposed to go through to certify the car and offer the extended warranty.   Took my car into a dealership here in town 3 weeks ago to get the starter replaced under warranty, no problem.  But they mentioned my car had no record of the 60k service being done on it.  This is a pretty extensive (and most expensive) of all the scheduled maintenance and one that should have been done before I bought the car given that it had 61,xxx miles and the inspection sheet specifically says "if the car is within 2000 miles of a scheduled maintenance, this must be performed."  So we're getting ready for a 1500mi road trip out to Iowa and the car is 20k past this scheduled maintenance and I told them to just get it done cause I didn't want to risk things screwing up on this trip and continuing the excessive wear of not replacing plugs, fluids, etc.  Called the original dealer I bought it from and told them what was going on, they admitted there was NO record of anything but a rotation and oil change done on the car after they got it.  They admitted it was a mistake and should have been done.  Their solution was for me to drive 8 hours round trip, 250 miles each way, to get have them perform the service they should have done 2 years and 20k miles ago.  Problem is, service is already done and they refuse to cover the costs of the other dealership doing my the work that they were required to do before I had bought the car.  We're talking about $700+ of scheduled maintenance.

Thoughts?  Am I just SOL?  This seems ridiculous to me and thinking back, looking at the car the brake pads were shot after about 1k miles and the tires after 5k, both of which seemed pretty short given Subie's inspection requirements (50% pad life >6/32" tread life).  I'm thinking they never even bothered doing the official Certified Pre-Owned inspection and just rubber stamped the car when they first got it in...

What other avenues do I have to make this right because I feel seriously fucked over right now...

Edited by smashweights

Pay bill and take it up with Subaru.

I have already paid the bill...  Interestingly, after we got off the phone with me concluding about finding who I'd need to talk to next, they called back and said they were going to contact a local dealer about the work and paying them directly...  So we'll see how it pans out.

Edited by smashweights

Had something similar with a home warranty.  Something was already broke when I moved in, shouldn't have passed inspection(faucet dripping), and shouldn't have been able to issue a home warranty.  I had a plumber come fix it, paid, and figured it was like insurance, turn in the bill, get reimbursed X dollars.  Nope, was SOL and paid the whole thing myself.

Had to get it done through an approved(in your case, original dealer) plumber.

I however would try to get at least 50% of the bill covered, yes they screwed up and shouldn't have sold it as they did, however they did offer to make things right IF you were still in the original location.  They can't help you moved, granted you can't either, but still.

Hope it works out.

I have a "pre-own , subaru certified" Legacy. 

If you contact Subaru north america, they will tell you if the car is listed as Subaru Certified.

I re-read and see that you think they have said it certified but not have actually performed anything related to the certification process.

call Subaru and as to speak with the DM for your region.

Dealerships are not going to make the call as it is a Subaru issue and Corporate won't help. District Manager has the authority to make it right for you.

I had a similar issue with my Volvo and we had to go to the DM for resolution.

I however would try to get at least 50% of the bill covered, yes they screwed up and shouldn't have sold it as they did, however they did offer to make things right IF you were still in the original location.  They can't help you moved, granted you can't either, but still.

Hope it works out.

I didn't move, I drove 4 hours to buy the car and drove it home.  Don't worry, I'm extremely courteous and appreciate them trying to make it right so far, but when I drop thousands on something under false pretenses... I get a little steamed.  Like I told them on the phone, I don't feel like I should have to take a Certified Pre-Owned car down the street to have an independent mechanic check to make sure they did what they said they did.  I want to believe they just oopsied on noting the mileage, but there's a number of other minor things that were on the CPO inspection sheet that weren't done: brake pads were way less than 50% life, wiper blades were not replaced.  Minor, yes, but when one of the check boxes on the list is "replace wiper blades" that's pretty hard to overlook.  Makes me wonder if they actually put it through the process or not.  It would be easy to try and save a few hundred bucks not performing required work on it, hope I never catch it, then look good trying to reconcile.  I know, I'm a skeptic.

I have a "pre-own , subaru certified" Legacy. 

If you contact Subaru north america, they will tell you if the car is listed as Subaru Certified.

I re-read and see that you think they have said it certified but not have actually performed anything related to the certification process.

I have the booklet and warranty that states it's Certified Pre-Owned from Subie.

call Subaru and as to speak with the DM for your region.

Dealerships are not going to make the call as it is a Subaru issue and Corporate won't help. District Manager has the authority to make it right for you.

I had a similar issue with my Volvo and we had to go to the DM for resolution.

I will keep that in mind if things don't pan out with their current bid to make things right.  I'm a pretty reasonable person and will work with them as best I can as long as I think I'm being treated fairly.

Edited by smashweights

So what do you all think of this offer they made to me today: they'd send someone down with a rental to swap cars, drive mine back to their dealership, do the next major service (90k or 105k), and bring it back to me.  IMO, this seems like a pretty fair offer, but seems like a much larger inconvenience to them to pay a tech to essentially spend their entire shift driving my car around, which seems odd considering it would seem easier to just have another dealership do the work.  Seems like a lot of trouble to go through on their part, which the excessively skeptical person I am wonders why?  I get you'd save some labor cost, but they'd be paying someone who works for them for the 8 hours they are driving to me.  Maybe I'm just being crazy, but it kinda fits with my thought that the car was improperly inspected and they're trying to avoid someone finding out?  Yeah, it sounds crazy just typing it out but still...

Anyway, I'm inclined to take them up on it with a few reservations:
-The 90k service is only 10k miles after I had it all this work done, so most of the fluids/plugs/etc that are inspected wont need replaced, ie: probably not even worth having this service done at all
-The 105k service is a more reasonable interval, but doesn't include any fluids (brake, ATF, coolant, etc), and things like the coolant and ATF were costly out of pocket for me and still likely won't need to be re-done then.

- 500 unnecessary miles on the car/tires for the trip

I just want to make sure I'm not getting the short end of the stick here but still being reasonable.  Maybe see if they'll combine the major parts of both services at the 105k since having a 2nd major service after 10k is kinda redundant?

Edited by smashweights

I didn't move, I drove 4 hours to buy the car and drove it home.  Don't worry, I'm extremely courteous and appreciate them trying to make it right so far, but when I drop thousands on something under false pretenses... I get a little steamed.  Like I told them on the phone, I don't feel like I should have to take a Certified Pre-Owned car down the street to have an independent mechanic check to make sure they did what they said they did.  I want to believe they just oopsied on noting the mileage, but there's a number of other minor things that were on the CPO inspection sheet that weren't done: brake pads were way less than 50% life, wiper blades were not replaced.  Minor, yes, but when one of the check boxes on the list is "replace wiper blades" that's pretty hard to overlook.  Makes me wonder if they actually put it through the process or not.  It would be easy to try and save a few hundred bucks not performing required work on it, hope I never catch it, then look good trying to reconcile.  I know, I'm a skeptic.

I have the booklet and warranty that states it's Certified Pre-Owned from Subie.

I will keep that in mind if things don't pan out with their current bid to make things right.  I'm a pretty reasonable person and will work with them as best I can as long as I think I'm being treated fairly.

Ahh gotcha, then yeah, I'd keep pressing cuz you also already made that trip on your own dime once.  Actually make sure they know you want the car back with a full tank of fuel too ;)

Read your next response, I would 100% take them up on that and be pretty okay with it now.  I wouldn't exactly say kudos to them for not doing what supposedly already was done, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone, BUT to get a free major service, yes, I would take them up and I agree, push for service equal to what you paid out of pocket.  If it's just an oil change and tire rotation, no way jose.  Should include major components and fluids or similar to what you already paid. 

I'm curious.  Is the car "certified" by the dealer or by the dealer on behalf of Subaru?  If the car is certified by Subaru then it should not matter where you take it for service.  And if they then told you that the service was not performed, the dealer you bought it from should reimburse you all out of pocket expenses...period.  You caught them with their hand in the cookie jar and they should make it right.

I would firstly make them re-certify the car and fix anything that's wrong, i.e. your brakes, wipers, etc.  Then I would take the 100K service offer by them and make them do everything needed for that AND do what was needed at the 60k mile service that you paid out of pocket for.

That's not what I'm saying, IP.  I'm saying if his local Subaru dealer finds that the car is not certified then it was sold to him under false pretenses.  The dealership he bought it from should pay for whatever is necessary for his local Subaru dealer to correct it to make it truly certified.  None of this you crap with we'll come get the car, drive it around and "make it right" business.  They fucked up and the last thing I personally am going to do is let them take it back to do something they said was already done.

Edited by r1crusher
  • Upvote 1

I agree. I'd insist on being reimbursed for my service cost, or given credit in the same amount on future services. Their offer is not bad, but certainly doesn't really do much for smashbandicoot. The 60k is the larger service for that vehicle, if I'm not mistaken. The timing belt, tension pulley and whatnots are almost $500, by themselves. I'd be getting that money back in cash, or in credit.

The timing and cam belt replacement are in the 105k service.  The 60k is coolant, ATF, brake fluid, oil, cabin filter, engine filter, spark plugs, as well as some inspection points.  Most of that is also in the 90k as well.

IP, do you know much about how the structure of the dealerships works with this stuff?  I'm wondering if I have the leverage to really insist on having things done my way.  AKA: is this something Subie corporate might come down on them for?  Or are they just gonna side with the dealership?

Ok I've noticed some misinformation in this threads.

1. A CPO car goes through a detailed inspection at the dealership.

2. A Subaru trained tech goes over the car and see what needs attention.

3. If it is a broken part, Subaru warranty covers it.

4. IF IT IS A MAINTENANCE ISSUE THE DEALER PAYS FOR IT

5. After the inspection is done there is big money to be made in CPO cars especially for the dealer because most likely it was a low mileage lease. The first lessee most likely paid 60% of the coat of the car so the dealer marks it up because they can and when they sell it they pat their bank loan on it and the rest is profit. (Ie: a car is 20k new, it was leased for 3 years at 200 a month with 2,000 down. So the original lessee has paid 9,200 into the car, assuming that the dealer puts less than 500 into maintenance at end of lease, that means they only need to sell the car for 11,300 to break even. And I'm not sure but the last time I checked CPO cars are very expensive, so they mark the car up to 18,000 and take the first 17,509 that walks in. A profit of 6,200. For just one CPO car.

6. If you take it to another dealer after you bought the car because a certain maintenance wasn't done and it was suppose to be done, you're expecting the other dealer to foot the bill because there is no maintenance reimbursement from Subaru.

7. Pay the bill, take it up with the original dealer.

8. Don't buy CPO cars, it's a scam. Most cars don't have issues until past 100,000 miles anyway

9. Next time buy a car with a few more miles and maybe a couple years older, you will save yourself $5-6,000 over a CPO car, and basically get the same thing.

10. Never ever ever ever ever ever take a dealers word on what has been done to the car always take it to a local competent mechanic.

Edited by zx3vfr

All of that is about what I expected.  Though, according to KBB I paid roughing what the normal cost of a private sale would be for a car with a warranty and I've already had warranty work done on it at this point.  I take it you're suggesting I press them for the expenses already paid, rather than equivalent services?

I wouldn't the the deal only because they will send the youngest lowest paid douche bag to come get the car and drive it back. Too many horror stories of techs wrecking cars or driving them like they stole them on test drives. I'd want cash or equivalent service. Cash obviously is best. Especially with them being 4 hours away.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, spoke with the manager again and he agreed to combine the 90k and 105k service: basically all belts, fluids, filters, and spark plugs for me, so I think it'll end up being a equitable solution.

I wouldn't the the deal only because they will send the youngest lowest paid douche bag to come get the car and drive it back. Too many horror stories of techs wrecking cars or driving them like they stole them on test drives. I'd want cash or equivalent service. Cash obviously is best. Especially with them being 4 hours away.

Yeah, I had thought about that... wouldn't the dealership be liable for any damages while the car is in their employee's possession?

Havent you heard about the dealership that wrecked the ZL1 Camaro and is totally screwing the owners out of a car like the one they had. they apparently will " make them a really good deal on another one." or something along those lines. ill try to find it. 

EDIT for story link

http://jalopnik.com/dealership-totals-customers-camaro-zl1-owner-and-deal-1498804012

anyway i could take a car and tear it up and you may not see immediate cause for alarm but next week you could have major problems or some time soon down the line. 

Edited by shadyone