Surprise Bike Wash on Highway

Agent3012

Maybe a reason to practice riding through water, heh?

I used to do it, it's really rather fun till it gets up to your airbox/throttle bodies.

Most bikes throw enough wake to prevent that. If they stay moving.

Start downshifting till applied torque is greater than applied resistance. And ride it out. Should be pavement under the water, until it erodes away. I do remember one bike (not mine) that went down on on it's side in water, and the uneven cooling shock to the air cooled engine caused it to crack the cylinder, head, whatever. It was dead.

I ran into a river running across the freeway in someplace like Missouri, I think. With a heavily loaded van. Water was deep and swift, but it drove through it. You just can't see that stuff ahead of you. What you can see is people's brake lights suddenly coming on off in the distance, and then they disappear from view.

A good reason to have an air filter, it keeps the water out of the cylinders. But with a wet air filter, it won't run or start. A good reason to keep a spare air filter in the trunk. Having done that, I will tell you that the water can be very cold when you get out to fix it. After your engine quits running in deep water.

A good reason to have an air filter, it keeps the water out of the cylinders. But with a wet air filter, it won't run or start. A good reason to keep a spare air filter in the trunk. Having done that, I will tell you that the water can be very cold when you get out to fix it. After your engine quits running in deep water.

i gotta pull the gas tank to get to the filter... not a practical field repair...

The xx has a decent system for keeping water out of the engine. The raim air nostrils under the headlight feed a separator in the air box, water will drain out for quite a while...

during fonzies wet river ride i was afraid i had a coolant leak because so much water was draining out of the bike when we stopped...it just kept flowing.

Edited by magley64

Had the same thing happen to me and my gf a few years ago. I hit it first at about 45 over on 33 by the quarry and she managed to slow down a bit before she hit. Luckily we were 3 blocks from home when it happened. We both stayed upright but she was crying hysterically when we got to the apt and shaking so bad from the scare that she couldnt even get her helmet off. 

Mag, I was more or less meaning an air filter for a car or truck. I wouldn't bother with it on a bike.

A water separator on the ram air intake should do the job. They are necessary on aircraft, and almost always work.

Edited by ReconRat