I do the flyers/graphics for Vance's, Buckeye Outdoors...

warrior62

If it is somebody that I regularly ride with in a group and know their skill set and habits, I have no problem with us all passing and changing positions. Of course I am not a big fan of group rides, therefore it is usually never more than 4 of us together. 

On the group rides I've been on we had agreed on the order when we all set out and it generally stays the same until the next gas stop. I guess I was unclear...If you try and pass me in a way that creates a dangerous situation ie: in a blind curve, on one wheel, etc.. you won't be thought of kindly.

And yes, you have to buy us all chicken wings before we will like you.

Different groups look at passing differently.   This should be a pre-ride conversation, especially when riding with unfamiliar riders.

I'll always wave a faster rider ahead.  And if they are faster, I want to see their technique anyway. 

I don't mind getting passed as long as it's not too close or a surprise.  There are a few exceptions, and those are the guys I've ridden with for years.  I can trust their ability and judgment.

I knew you'd get it pauly...you get all my obscure references...maybe because you also watch too much tv and enjoy a wide range of music.

As far as fighting for the front, you're a fucking idiot OP. You ride against your friends on the track, ride with them on the street. I get it, you're 23...hopefully you're not a squid...but if you try and pass me on a group ride without me signaling you to do so, you're going to get stomped on. We ride for fun here, and people who do stupid shit and endanger other riders need not apply.

I remember passing you spaghetti through a straight as we passed a mini-cooper that decided he wanted to show how big his penis was and try to turn the road into a race track and wouldn't let me get in behind you, but I only passed you for my safety, and then signaled for you to pass me... You didn't seem to mad, glad I didn't get 'spaghetti'ed.   :excited: 

I remember passing you spaghetti through a straight as we passed a mini-cooper that decided he wanted to show how big his penis was and try to turn the road into a race track and wouldn't let me get in behind you, but I only passed you for my safety, and then signaled for you to pass me... You didn't seem to mad, glad I didn't get 'spaghetti'ed. :excited:

Yeah that guy was a dick. If I had known he was going to try and race a liter bike with a fucking clown car I would have kept accelerating after I passed him and given you more room behind me. In this case you did what you had to do because captain Cooper created an unsafe situation. That's why you didn't taste my noodely wrath lol...

We all know you don't give a fuck steve.

The rides I've been on usually organized themselves based on skill. Guys who know they're fast up front, guys who are kind of fast in the middle, humble riders towards the end and an experienced guy riding sweep. Last ride I was on I was at the front of the middle. The guy behind me, gunner75, belonged in the back. Twice he almost hit me or haphazardly passed me because he was trying to push his ninja 650 too hard in the straits to keep up with the liters. We would put a huge gap in the group, he would run the balls off his bike in the straits and at the next curve he would be either up my ass or next to me. At one curve he went so wide he said 'fuck it', got lucky and went up some guys driveway...ahead of me and across the double yellow. That dude sketched me out, I'm not in my mirrors all the time, I like having an entire lane to operate within. I guess what I'm trying to say is if I'm holding you up and you need to pass, do so in the oncoming lane safely...I think it's past my bedtime.

Again, I like this guy. In a non homo way.

Agreed, the ability to take a joke in stride is refreshing!

He passes.

He gets our sick humor, that is a rarity! :)

Thanks! I'll be here all week;)

Depending on you goals as a rider, you may want to rethink the Club thing.

If you really want to learn how to ride that 1000RR, you aren't going to do it bar hopping in formation wearing a vest.  Plus most skilled street & track riders (that have tons of riding knowledge) probably aren't going to join you.

Kinda of like you, I have a large group of old friends.  None of them like to ride the way I do.  So, I found a group that likes sport bikes at hyper legal speeds and they're skilled enough to do it without crashing.  We ride every weekend the weather allows.  We ride uber twisty backroads.  It's ridiculous fun.  

Beats the hell out of formation rides

Wow for 23 I'm impressed. Let me give you a little nugget though. Everything you want and state you are looking for can all be done without a club. When I started riding I had zero friends who rode. Almost 5 years of being a forum member and I bet I have at least 30 friends I met through this forum. You don't need no stinkin club!

Also, ride with the right guys and your skill level will develop 10 fold

Lastly, "fighting for the front" for any group ride is about the worst idea ever and will surely result in some serious wrecks. So in the interest of fellow motorcyclist safety, please rethink that

You sir have made some valid points & I thoroughly enjoyed the video evidence! that is definitely moreso what I am looking to get involved in. Where might be the best place to start? I am hoping to get on the track for the first time (on a sportbike) this summer.

Regarding the "fighting for the front" comment, I was just puffing my chest ;) I am a aggressive but cautious rider, with still a lot to learn.

You sir have made some valid points & I thoroughly enjoyed the video evidence! that is definitely moreso what I am looking to get involved in. Where might be the best place to start? I am hoping to get on the track for the first time (on a sportbike) this summer.

SE Ohio and WV have some amazing roads for sport bikes.  If you're willing to ride a few hundred miles in a day, you may just find sport bike Nirvana.  When the weather cooperates there will be plenty of group rides posted.  There's a good number of seasoned ride leaders that post on this board, with plenty of knowledge about riding/motorcycles/routes.

Get some gear if you don't already have it.  Helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and over the ankle boots at a minimum.  Armored pants or a riding suit are a really good idea, too.

Learn proper riding/cornering technique.  

Don't be one of the guys that wants to show everyone how fast he is, only to crash on your first group ride...never to return.  There have been too many of those guys to count.  No matter how good of a rider you are or how fast your bike is, there will always be someone better, faster, smoother.  Leave the ego at home.  Use it as an opportunity to to learn.  Ask questions at gas stops, ask someone to follow you though the corners to give feedback, etc.  And read this:  http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/

I'm sure others will chime in with stuff I didn't mention...

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 4

We need a tee shirt with "I Survived" and a column of check boxes on the back.

Just use a sharpie to check off the ones you haven't crash on:

Coshocton

Hocking Hills

Mohican

Little Dragon

Dragon's Tail

etc

Required to cross out any you later dump it on...

edit: umm, just a thought, some need a tee shirt that says "I didn't survive" and check boxes....

Edited by ReconRat

Haven crashed on any of those, but I did have the rear slide out in Coshocton. It was near the dam and I found some sand at a decent lean. Scared the ever living shit out of me.

Everyone should know how to throw it sideways and enjoy it. Makes it so much easier to survive when it happens without warning.

Yeah, that means get a dirt bike...

I power slid sideways pulling into morning traffic on a cold road. Quick juggle the power and balance. Yeah, as usual, scared the crap out of the cars around me. I rather enjoyed it. Couldn't back off, there were cars coming at me. Well, ok, I could have aborted up the middle turn lane... edit: Yes, I'm too old for that crap.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

SE Ohio and WV have some amazing roads for sport bikes.  If you're willing to ride a few hundred miles in a day, you may just find sport bike Nirvana.  When the weather cooperates there will be plenty of group rides posted.  There's a good number of seasoned ride leaders that post on this board, with plenty of knowledge about riding/motorcycles/routes.

Get some gear if you don't already have it.  Helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and over the ankle boots at a minimum.  Armored pants or a riding suit are a really good idea, too.

Learn proper riding/cornering technique.  

Don't be one of the guys that wants to show everyone how fast he is, only to crash on your first group ride...never to return.  There have been too many of those guys to count.  No matter how good of a rider you are or how fast your bike is, there will always be someone better, faster, smoother.  Leave the ego at home.  Use it as an opportunity to to learn.  Ask questions at gas stops, ask someone to follow you though the corners to give feedback, etc.  And read this:  http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/

I'm sure others will chime in with stuff I didn't mention...

Please excuse my untimely reply, been swamped...

Sportbike nirvana is exactly what I'm looking for. No doubt, you'll find me at some rides and the track this riding season. In addition to the gear, which I'm pretty much have, I'll be bringing along with me a list of questions if you don't mind.

In regards to Twist of the Wrist II, since your recommendation, I've listened to the video probably around 7 times now lol and will be quick to admit just how much I've learned. I strongly second your recommendation of this material... Any new riders out there, this is a must!

Tpoppa, cant thank you enough for the advice. I owe you a brew!

I

Come to Coshocton with Hutch and I, as long as you listen to our warning talk before the ride you'll have a great day.

If you don't, you'll find yourself under a guard rail or in the woods somewhere. This is common knowledge.

"Fighting for the front" on our ride is also encouraged, but not from newbs

Count me in! I'll pm you

Tpoppa is a good guy and very good rider, listen to him. If you ride in cershockton don't come on a katana it means you will crash LOL! Put in some miles and do lots of rides and it will come to you after awhile. And keep riding or it will get rusty to you like it has to me. I use to be fast but now have taken to much time off and am to leery to push it anymore.