Suzuki GS 500 F

TurnOne's Sammich Maker

This was one I researched a lot before buying my first and was planning to get one.  The general consensus back about 7 years ago was great starter bike with enough power for a new rider to enjoy without being boring, but for those prone to like high performance, they'll likely get the itch to upgrade to a 600cc supersport in a year or two once their skills improve.  More comfortable than a supersport.

Edited by smashweights

I test rode a newer one for someone a couple years ago.  My impression was that a beginner would outgrow it rather quickly.  The gearbox stood out as the weak point, with the brakes not far behind.  Its much less capable than an SV650 which is a great choice for a new rider or an experienced one.

Great first bike, last bike, or anytime bike.  Enough power to go anywhere and do anything when you learn how to ride one.  My first bike was a CB400 that I traded in on a CB750 six months and 6k miles later because it just didn't have enough performance for the freeways, that was about 30 years ago.  After a couple other bikes I traded a Nighthawk 650 in on my 1st GS500 and it felt like a sportbike compared to the old NH 650.  I've done my last 14 years and 180k miles on a couple GS500s doing 400-500 mile Interstate days getting to the mountains to play with friends on all kinds of bikes.  Did my last trip to the mountains back in 04 at age 71 on my current 02 GS that just turned over 100k miles last summer.  You'll enjoy a GS500 if you stick with it long enough to really ride it.

Jack flash has one maybe he'll chime in

Yeah, here I am.  Sorry, I was asleep at the wheel.

Anyways, I got my GS 500 F almost two years ago.

It had 1300 miles on it.  Now it has about 6900, I think.

I have a 29" inseam and this bike's seat sits at 31.1

inches.  I can flatfoot it without stretching, but usually

my heals are up a hair when I'm sitting, relaxed at a

light.

It's my first bike, so I don't have anything to compare

it to, but I'm glad I got it and not a 250.  I dropped it

on 555 and scuffed it up a little, but a change of the

handlebars got me back on the road.

It's fast enough for me to enjoy.  When I first learned

how to ride it, I got it up to 45 MPH.  Wow!  I was flyin'.

Now, 80 is the new 60 and I'm having a blast with it.

After this riding season, if money is right, I'll have the

itch to upgrade to something else.  But, I've read that

many who have owned one wish they still had it to

buzz about on, due to their upgrade being a bit

cumbersome for short jaunts to the market, or around

town.  I've always said that there is absolutely nothing

at all wrong with having more than one motorcycle.

Send me a PM with questions and I'll tell you what I

know about the bike.  I'm happy with it and It's some of

the most fun I've had with my pants on.

My dad owned one for a cup of coffee. I rode it more than he did.

At the time, I had only owned my EX500, and my brother had his Seca II. With that said, I rode 3 of the 90's most popular beginner bikes back-to-back-to-back on multiple occasions.

I liked the handling and brakes of the GS the best. By a lot. It also felt the lightest, and probably is. Magazines disagree with me about the brakes. They liked the EX's better.

The Seca feels smoothest, but definitely heaviest. The GS was least powerful, but fun to wring the piss out of at every green light. I like the naked model better. The faired one does look good compared to the Ex500, but an EX will leave it far behind if acceleration or top speed are involved. The GS500 tips out around 100mph, in ninja 250 territory.