Mileage reimbursement

M_Quick

My employer just cut our already low mileage reimbursement by 12 1/2%!  IRS allows you to claim $0.56 a mile, my employer has dropped us from $0.40 to $0.35! It was $0.32 a mile when I started back in Sept, of 2000! Then gas was roughly $1.19 a gal. I remember always filling up for around $12.00

I drive about 700-900 miles a week for work but fortunately they pay us the max for mileage. I need it with the depreciation hit that I am sure I have taken already. Car is 10 1/2 months old and is already at 38k+ miles.

I would tell them to eat shit and die if the job requires any large amount of driving. After finding a new job of course. At .36 you are losing money.

How do you figure hes losing at .36? is that counting depreciation and maintenance. I figure with my Truck it cost me .25 a mile in gas at best.

How do you figure hes losing at .36? is that counting depreciation and maintenance. I figure with my Truck it cost me .25 a mile in gas at best.

Yea, you got to count it all.....If it costs you money it is part of the cost...oil changes, tire wear, brakes....most studies put it at 60 to 65 per mile for a mid sized sedan.

You should be figuring maintenance and depreciation into the number. Those miles that you are driving have more expense to them than the gas that you use. At $3.50/gal, it costs me about 15 cents/mile in gas, 26 cents for my car payment/insurance/extended warranty, 2 cents a mile for tires, and roughly 4 cents for maintenance. I figure it costs me roughly 47 cents/mile for my car and I am not concerned with depreciation since my entire car bill is covered by my mileage checks.

I don't have enough deduction to itemize. And my car averages 34 mph on the road, but for work like today for example. I left the office around 8 am pulled in around 1:45 pm. Truck ran the whole time all but about 10 mins, and I logged 46 miles!  On average I only get 17 mpg using vehicle for work. I did tell them it was F'ing BS and asked for a company vehicle. Today they gave me one, and also said around April I'd  be back in my own car again. So I promptly asked if mileage was going to go back up by then, and got blown off. The truck they put me in the service light came on as soon as I started it! I didn't feel like sitting at a service center till 3-4pm today so I didn't see the light, lol....