Anyone own a Versys?

ScubaCinci

I've seen a lot of these for sale over the past year and for whatever reason, they don't seem to hold their value well. As such, people seem to sell them pretty cheap. I've kinda been thinking about either getting something like it to supplement my Z or just switching out altogether and do more distance rides. I had a Vstrom 650 about 8 years or so ago and really didn't like the engine, the bike felt like a pig. To be fair, I had been riding an FZ1 so in comparison, it was a pig. Had I been able to test ride the bike beforehand, I never would've bought it. This makes me worried that I may no't like the Versys motor so I really want to ride one first to see what I think. I missed the Kawi demo rides last year because I was out of town.

Long story short, if anyone within a few hours of Cinci has one and wouldn't mind me taking a spin on it when the weather breaks, let me know. Obviously you are free to test ride my Z1000 :)

Actually, this might make a good meet-up for a group to get a chance to ride other bikes (responsibly) since it's tough to get demo rides on new bikes.

Buddy of mine has one and he rides it more than his new 1200RT. The V-Strom 650 engine is amazing "especially the latest", but comparing it to an FZ1 or Z1000 engine is comparing apples to oranges. The 1000 V-Strom engine runs pretty strong, I find I am lacking nothing coming off a C14. Of course I already owned a 1000 Strom previously, so I was not ignorant by getting another. Different character and power curves with the twins, personally I enjoy them much more than a 4 cylinder. 

i really like the versys seems like a better road bike than the storm, but i don't think you can go wrong either way.  but yes it is not a rocket, but what could be more fun than taking that little motor to the ragged edge.  as i have learned, small HP is more fun, cause you get to use the power and ride them harder.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm thinking I want something a little more tame. Most of the miles I put on the bike are from commuting and **I think** I'm ready for something different. I have a lot of fun putting around on my Husky 1 banger. Been eyeballing the Super Tenere's for awhile but that's a much more serious investment as is a new Strom 1K (those look pretty sweet too). Again, I'd like to ride one first.

Edited by ScubaCinci

unless your offloading, id look away from the tenere 
now the new storm 1000 is an awesome bike, its more of a road worthy bike, its adventured styled, but is meant to be a road touring bike.  which is what everyone wants now, upright seating position that the adventure bikes give, but something that you can put loads of road miles on and handles well.

i just don't get why people buy the GS, KTM Adventure, Super Tenere and the likes (serious off road adventure bikes)  but never ride them off road.  if your gonna ride on road only, buy something that will fit those needs.

Edited by Hoblick
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm thinking I want something a little more tame. Most of the miles I put on the bike are from commuting and **I think** I'm ready for something different. I have a lot of fun putting around on my Husky 1 banger. Been eyeballing the Super Tenere's for awhile but that's a much more serious investment as is a new Strom 1K (those look pretty sweet too). Again, I'd like to ride one first.

I have big expectations for the new 1000 V-Strom, and I have a feeling it is going to deliver BIGTIME. Some are complaining that it does not have the HP of the Multi or the KTM and even calling the engine adequate or bland "hilarious", but to me 150 HP in a bike like that is nothing but a total waste of HP "and possibly engine longevity". A legitimate 100 HP race derived twin that revs quick and has a sweet torque hit and powerband, which can run in excess of 130 MPH and also reportedly gets killer gas mileage too.....what is not to like? ZUK made some fabulous changes to the new Strom, it is a totally new bike and not a reworked model at all. Love my well equipped 2006, but I must admit the new Vee II has really got me thinking and wanting a bit too much.

unless your offloading, id look away from the tenere 

now the new storm 1000 is an awesome bike, its more of a road worthy bike, its adventured styled, but is meant to be a road touring bike.  which is what everyone wants now, upright seating position that the adventure bikes give, but something that you can put loads of road miles on and handles well.

i just don't get why people buy the GS, KTM Adventure, Super Tenere and the likes (serious off road adventure bikes)  but never ride them off road.  if your gonna ride on road only, buy something that will fit those needs.

Honestly, I like the ST because of the shaft drive (less daily maintenance). I'm not sure I see the big V to be any more or less of a dual purpose bike than the ST. I would definitely be up for hitting some fore roads on either.

the reason the reviews are terrible, is because its what is expected.  every other touring bike is loaded with power.  

thing is though, the new strom is priced right, and lower than its competitors.  so if you want a reasonably priced touring bike, with adventure bike feel, and some cool electronic features, whats not to like about it?  yeah its not a power house, but its a touring bike, not a sport bike.  

to each their own i guess.  the multistrada was an amazing bike, and id love to have another, but the power was just unusable.  

Honestly, I like the ST because of the shaft drive (less daily maintenance). I'm not sure I see the big V to be any more or less of a dual purpose bike than the ST. I would definitely be up for hitting some fore roads on either.

I hit allot of gravel and fire roads in my big Strom quite often. As for the Versys, that parallel twin is pretty sweet and the bike overall is a hoot to ride and very flexible.

the reason the reviews are terrible, is because its what is expected.  every other touring bike is loaded with power.  

thing is though, the new strom is priced right, and lower than its competitors.  so if you want a reasonably priced touring bike, with adventure bike feel, and some cool electronic features, whats not to like about it?  yeah its not a power house, but its a touring bike, not a sport bike.  

to each their own i guess.  the multistrada was an amazing bike, and id love to have another, but the power was just unusable.  

You for sure get it Ryan, and I have never had an issue passing anything "or multiple anythings" quite briskly on the Vee.......it easily lifts the front wheel up in the air too from 1st through third. :) You need to ride mine one of these days, especially since I have gotten it dialed in. The new Vee II has actually gotten some very favorable reviews, and I am betting when there is another big ADV bike shootout, it will be an all around preferable bike for the "honest" testers. 

Hmmm...the reviews I read on the ST were pretty good, obviously not up to the standard of the beemer but I don't recall anything about it being underpowered.

Per Cycleworld

In each machine’s more aggressive setting, or with both in a “regular” setting, the BMW always comes across as having more punch when the throttle is turned and always drinks from a slightly deeper pool of torque. The Ténéré’s power at low revs and at very slow speeds is softer, in comparison, but once moving, it would be malicious to call it anything but right there. In fact, as the bikes spin up, the Yamaha has more of a four-cylinder feel, where the GS always remains distinctly “Twin.” Either way, long, broad torque curves mated to well-spaced six-speed transmissions spread power from here to Tierra del Fuego.

Like I said, I'd need to ride one to decide how I liked it. Demo days can't come soon enough (nor the good weather!).

Edited by ScubaCinci

The versys is an extremely good bike as is the weestrom for what they were built for. I've seen both bikes on long multiple day if not week tours they offer great fuel economy,reasonable comfort and decent power at a rock bottom price. What they lack besides raw power and electronics is more than compensated for in there very basic nature. As for daily commuting they are both great. As for the new strom, Suzuki has made a lot of money on the original don't bet that they will mess this one up. The multi is not in the same league with either the GS or the Tenere they are touring bikes that can be ridden off-road.

I love the 650 parelle twin. Uses the same firing and rotation pattern as triumphs twins iirc. It has a very distinct sound. Now I do love the roar of a v twin. But even better would be a vfr adventure bike with the gear to gear v4 with the gears on the outside instead of the middle of the block. The suspension is great on the versys. I would have got the versys instead of the ninja 650 but my wife being a bigger woman and shorter woman would never have been able to get on the back. But I will tell you the ninja 650 has plenty of power for 2 bigger people. One of the reasons I went with the 650 was it has an unusually high weight rating for a small bike. But really the 650 is great. It can take 87 octane and get 45mpg while beating the crap out of it. If I use shell 91/93 I can get 52 riding conservatively and 50mpg using 87 riding conservatively. If I end up not selling it for a triumph at the end of this year I will be switching over to a versys from end and using clip ons because the versys has a much better suspension than the 650. But the versys/650 is a great design.

Like Mags said I love mine, I also have a DL1000 Vstrom, but the Versys is my favorite....I've had a couple of them, got rid of them for something else, and came back to the Versys every time... Great ergo's decent power, great handling, many options available for storage, windshields, ergo's, etc....

I've taken mine on many trips including a few to the Gap, and down the BRP..IMO a perfect all around bike...cruising at 80 on the interstate is no problem..I've owned a ton of bikes, but the Versys has knocked my gen1 FZ1, and my RD350's off of my top spot......  

I especially don't care for the new one. At least the old or knew its place in the circus. It was a rock-bottom utilitarian motorcycle. I appreciated it for what it was. Ugly, but very much at ease with its image. The new one has a serious crisis of identity. It's not sure if it wants to be a KLR, or a BMW. Neither, of which, it's very good at pulling off.

I'd call it a great commuter and all-around bike, but with far less charm than the old, uber-ugly version.

That was hurtful!

• Upvote 1

I'm way late to the conversation, but you can read my impressions of my Versys here and more here.

As of last week, after my first road trip of the year, I have about 35,000 miles on my Versys. The V-Strom 650 is better if you're going to do any unpaved roads, but I prefer the more nimble feel of the Versys on pavement. JMO.

Feb2014a.JPG

I'm way late to the conversation, but you can read my impressions of my Versys here and more here.

As of last week, after my first road trip of the year, I have about 35,000 miles on my Versys. The V-Strom 650 is better if you're going to do any unpaved roads, but I prefer the more nimble feel of the Versys on pavement. JMO.

That seems to parallel the reviews.  Nods have also been given to the Strom for long-distance travel when 2-up, but the Versys usually gets the "more fun, more exciting" mention over the Strom.  I think both are still better than the NC700X and a better value than the Triumph 800, BMW F700GS and G650GS.  I think Honda's CB500X would be a tough competitor, especially for the price.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the Versys!  Awesome color too.