One for the Harley Guys

HeavyDuty

You'd be surprised. I've had more than a few...maybe some were just fucking around to see if I'd run them but more than a couple actually thought they could take my Jap crap. Had a guy on an old amf shovel try and race me on my 72 cb 750 once and he was super pissed that he lost. Had a buddy who thought his iron head spotster was hot shit till I whipped him on my tl...Also had a guy on one of those hideous big dog choppers try and race me on my old fzr600. He made lots of noise, got the jump but once I came up on 6k rpm I passed him. Happens more than you think.

My bad, I never took your CB into consideration. I was thinking your Bandit or your TL. I owned both those bikes and never had any crusier guy want to run me.

Now days I think 90% of the Harley riders know better If not they learn fast and we only build our bikes to play with other Harleys and mine is not stock either but I have learned to do as many mods as you can while always trying to keep it looking as stock as possible.

That is a good statement Heavy, any of the guys I ride with who have "Modified" their HD's do it to be different than the rest of the pack- and race and or one up other Harleys. (or Metrics) . I don't think any of the HD guys here think thier sleds are fast, but we are not thinking their junk either. Each their own, people can like or hate whatever they want; that's why there are so many choices in the bike world. 

Not to change the subject but I would love to try this some time I tried to get our ALR post to set up a coarse like this but where can you get that many cones I ride 52 miles to work every day in the summer and one of the games I like to play is to never put my feet down so I have gotten pretty good at very slow speeds I think I could do this with a little practice Anyone know where I can find this layout plan.

http://youtu.be/xAWFGu5by2I

Old UJM's are like catnip to harleys,  every single one I've ridden I've had a harley try to race me...

In high school I had a 77 CB750, and the only other MC in the parking lot was a buell blast that this kid named kenny had.

He insisted that because his was a harley and a sport bike that it must be faster than an old UJM with king and queen seat, a fairing, and a stereo.

He clearly had no idea what he was up against. That old girl was a pig with a final drive chain that you could use for commercial logging, but she still had quite a bit of get-up-and-go left in her, by the time i shifted to third he just gave up. 

Most Harley riders have never ridden a fast bike. Or one that can handle. I often hear them say Harley Fast. The younger riders think a 1200 sportster with a little work and straight pipes is fast. A true Biker knows the facts. Last summer two of the guys I work with who own bobber style, rigid frame, straight pipe, and a head job were talking about how fast they were. I told them we could start at the light and I would race them if they put up lunch and I put up a $100 for each of them against my Concours 14. I also told them I would start in 2nd gear and not shift past 3rd. They laughed at me. Well you know the outcome. It was not even close. My Wife got mad at me for wrecking there fun and said it was wrong to bury them. They think they can beat my almost 40 year old KZ900. Free Lunch time again. I have raced a lot of Harleys on my KZ900 including V-Rods on the street and never lost. I actually think a V-ROD could come close to or maybe beat the KZ900 in the 1/4 mile with the right rider. But it is rare to find a Harley rider that knows how to get off the line. I suspect the ones who do are no longer riding Harleys. 

Edited by KZ900

Real racing and being fast is not in a straight line, and once again even great riders on many Harleys will get smoked by much lesser bikes probably 95% of the time. The only nice thing about Winter is the peace and quiet of not hearing loud obnoxious Harleys and the likes.

I like how everyone says "real racing is not in a straight line"

I'd like to see you pilot a 7 second bike and run it to its potential.

Just because it's not your thing, doesn't mean it's easy.

Go tell Rickey Gadson he isn't a real racer and has no skills.

Real racing and being fast is not in a straight line, and once again even great riders on many Harleys will get smoked by much lesser bikes probably 95% of the time. The only nice thing about Winter is the peace and quiet of not hearing loud obnoxious Harleys and the likes.

I have seen many a Harley rider smoke a squid in the twisties. I know a guy on a fully loaded Goldwing  that most people couldn't keep up with. 

I like how everyone says "real racing is not in a straight line"

I'd like to see you pilot a 7 second bike and run it to its potential.

Just because it's not your thing, doesn't mean it's easy.

Go tell Rickey Gadson he isn't a real racer and has no skills.

He'll i would love to see 80% of sport bike guys or most any other bikes run even close to there advertised times. I see lots of 11 second liter bikes at the strip. I read somewhere here about 90% bike and 10% rider crap , that's funny shit. It's the other way around. The launch and 60 foot time is the whole race, not the mention staying in your bracket. After that it's tuck and twist the throttle. Even road race guys work their launch skills to get the hole shot .

I have seen many a Harley rider smoke a squid in the twisties. I know a guy on a fully loaded Goldwing  that most people couldn't keep up with.

The yellow one at deals gap?

• 3 weeks later...

There are some Harleys that run good "for a Harley" I put together a few baggers that will out run a Vrod with no problem. Some of these Harleys run very strong but won't beat a newer 600 in the quarter-mile with a good rider.

There are always guys here in my garage screwing around betting money on who's bike is faster in drag.......and some of these Harley's I didn't put together, so yes it fun watching or hearing about races and some of these bike have big dollars in the motors, but like I said about the only thing your going to out run is another Harley.

Yes, there are some 9-10 sec Harley's out there but there are not a everyday cruiser or bikes that you can ride very far and most likely don't run on shit pump gas......

The key is to win some of your money back from some sucker........but yes, 1 cube per HP is fair to say and some will go plus 10 more overall (I know of a few 95 ci making 105-107RWHP and 100 plus on torque or 107ci making 120RWHP but after that things start to break)

You might be surprised that some of these guys have less money than you think in the motor. The big joke around here and the most fun is to whip the guys that have the most worthless amount of money in the them...........The more they have spent the more fun it is!!!