One for the Harley Guys

HeavyDuty

Can't defend a lot of this , I know too many harley guys who have bought full on into the Screamin Eagle stuff. They really do think it makes their stuff faster . They bike should come with the parts but why ? We buy the shit anyway. I used Fuel Moto parts in my build and did the work myself, saved a ton .

Harley's can easily come with more power but not air cooled like they are now. they are set up so lean from the factory just to clear EPA regulations so simple mods really do wake them up a bit. The liquid cooled models this year will be the norm shortly . The Screamin a Eagle 110 bikes are about as big as HD can now without emissions issues in the USA.

Lol....harley makes an ok bike for what it is. People often ask me why I don't just buy a harley. I tell them that I don't want one, that they don't make a bike for me. Their immediate response is either sportster or vrod. I remind them that one is slow and the other handles like a fat chick on a bigwheel. I've ridden several harley bikes, the acceleration of the vrod impressed me but that's about it.

I had a v-rod before my glide, you are dead on about shit handling! Motor was good but sitting with your feet in front of you with zero wind protection at 125 sucked ! Motor was too heavy to do much else with it.

The shit HD guys catch here ain't crap compared to the hazing V-rod guys got from the push rod crowd. We were hated. I heard nice Porsche about 2 times a day. They never understood.

What really holds hd back is basic design. 45° pushrod 2 valve head motor with knife and fork con rods and a single pin crank. High tech shit....for 1903. And what holds the company back from making a better motor is all the dick heads that insist that this antiquated tractor mill is somehow good. Big Bad v twin power blah blah...Most hd bikes will get stomped by a ninja 300. Pretty fuckin bad ass.

I'll never understand the mentality of hd fan boys. It's just bullshit they put up to justify paying tomorrow's prices for yesterday's technology.

What really holds hd back is basic design. 45° pushrod 2 valve head motor with knife and fork con rods and a single pin crank. High tech shit....for 1903. And what holds the company back from making a better motor is all the dick heads that insist that this antiquated tractor mill is somehow good. Big Bad v twin power blah blah...Most hd bikes will get stomped by a ninja 300. Pretty fuckin bad ass.

I'll never understand the mentality of hd fan boys. It's just bullshit they put up to justify paying tomorrow's prices for yesterday's technology.

Whoa you need a Snickers .

Can't defend a lot of this , I know too many harley guys who have bought full on into the Screamin Eagle stuff. They really do think it makes their stuff faster . They bike should come with the parts but why ? We buy the shit anyway. I used Fuel Moto parts in my build and did the work myself, saved a ton .

Harley's can easily come with more power but not air cooled like they are now. they are set up so lean from the factory just to clear EPA regulations so simple mods really do wake them up a bit. The liquid cooled models this year will be the norm shortly . The Screamin a Eagle 110 bikes are about as big as HD can now without emissions issues in the USA.

I actually had FuelMoto custom tune my 300.  Awesome group of guys.  They all appreciated differences in bikes.  Not what I expected in northern WI. LOL.

HDs are what they are. I don't understand why they give the VRod guys a hard time. At least they are HD guys.

It will be interesting to see if they are more open to water cooled bikes in the future. You can only reliably produce so much power with an air cooled motor. Water cooled Harley's are inevitable. Project Rushmore and the small entry level bikes are just the beginning.

If you guys can't make a VROD handle decently for what it is, you're doing it wrong

I've seen 2 board members ride the hell out of that thing. Or maybe I'm just slow and it looked better than it was. Either or lol

Oh they handle better than a dyna or road glide but nowhere near even my old fzr600. Too much rake for that 'look cool in the parking lot' effect, makes it impossible to flick them around...they handle better than they should based on weight due to the low c of g. They handle good for a harley

I've personally rode (from Harley) spotters (883 and 1200), dyna, road king, fat bob, street glide, road glide, and the ultras. None are fast or worth owning IMO.

And as mentioned in above posts 1200 sportsters are slow as f

HDs are what they are. I don't understand why they give the VRod guys a hard time. At least they are HD guys.

It will be interesting to see if they are more open to water cooled bikes in the future. You can only reliably produce so much power with an air cooled motor. Water cooled Harley's are inevitable. Project Rushmore and the small entry level bikes are just the beginning.

Because they were different mike , and people don't like change . I would hear the Porsche crap all the time . I would quickly remind them that Harley and Davidson hired Paul Kruger - a German to build the first motor from a blue print in 1903 . They would get quiet !

Didn't someone on here smoke a 1200 spotster with a honda 450 a few years back? I seem to recall that happening.

It was my test ride on Heather's cm450e that I smoked a 883. Guy said he had it all screaming Eagle and tuned. The little $300 ujm had no trouble pulling away from it with little over half the displacement. I think the higher revs made the biggest difference in power and speed.

Edited by magley64

Nice. I love smoking harleys.

Sam how many harley guys really race you? How many times has one tried to pass you or pulled up and said " let's race" - I bet less than a few. Unless there is a huge Harley drag racing scene in Massillon.

Most guys just know better and don't even look your way.

• Upvote 1

You'd be surprised. I've had more than a few...maybe some were just fucking around to see if I'd run them but more than a couple actually thought they could take my Jap crap. Had a guy on an old amf shovel try and race me on my 72 cb 750 once and he was super pissed that he lost. Had a buddy who thought his iron head spotster was hot shit till I whipped him on my tl...Also had a guy on one of those hideous big dog choppers try and race me on my old fzr600. He made lots of noise, got the jump but once I came up on 6k rpm I passed him. Happens more than you think.

Sam how many harley guys really race you? How many times has one tried to pass you or pulled up and said " let's race" - I bet less than a few. Unless there is a huge Harley drag racing scene in Massillon.

Most guys just know better and don't even look your way.

Back in 76 when I got my KZ1000 almost every Harley I came across wanted to race most of the time I was 2 up with the wife we would be at a light when it turned green my favorite thing to do was to always let the Harley take the lead thru the first two gears I would hang on his back wheel and stay in first gear until I heard him shift to 3rd then I would go to full throttle and do a full power shift to 2nd by the time my front wheel would touch the ground again we would be at least 5 bike lengths in front and still pulling away. I hated Harleys back then but time has away of changing your thinking. The KZ is not stock it is 1170cc with a few extra mods the turbo is long gone I found out I could get better times with high compression pistons, better cams and 4- 42mm Mikuni Carbs the transmission is beefed up after blowing 2 gear which they were famous for. Now days I think 90% of the Harley riders know better If not they learn fast and we only build our bikes to play with other Harleys and mine is not stock either but I have learned to do as many mods as you can while always trying to keep it looking as stock as possible. I know I can not beat the new rice burners on either bike any more but it is still fun to mess with the squids LOL

Edited by HeavyDuty

Ducati sure made some fast and powerful air cooled twins. :)

• Upvote 1

Back in the 80's I rode my Kaw 750 twin and my buddy was a long time HD man.  He was a wrench and always kept his bikes in tip top running shape,  But he could never get any of his Harley's to be as fast as my 750 twin was.  And it's like a snail compared to today's sportbikes.  My glide is fast, but then there's 'fast'..........like a few of what most here ride.

I don't ride to be the fastest, I ride to ride.  We all like to get fast, but no way can a street Harley ever compete with sport bikes.  Not happenin