The idiot, the witch, and the accident

RSparky

So, here's an unfortunate story. I have had an sr-22 insurance policy for a few years, since I did some stupid shit as a teenager. 8 actually. Anywho, I got married last year, and I've had a pretty clean record for a bit, so we put me on my wife's insurance.

February 14th rolls around and we get snowed on. I'm usually a pretty good driver in the snow. Well, I was stopping, and slid, and barely bumped into the lady in front of me. Seriously. Barely. I couldn't find the dent. In her Honda Odyssey...

Then she pointed out a little black spot smaller than a dime. And that her little plastic grip piece on top of the bumper had a bend crease in it.

I'm sure it's nothing. I have worse dings from salt chunks hitting my bumper. But she wants insurance. No biggie.

Shit, I left my wallet at home. She gets awfully suspicious of this. Completely understandable. I say let me call you so you have my number. She agreed.

I get home to some terrible news. My truck isn't covered. I had the wife put me on her insurance, but she only put me on for driving her car... Great.

Clever idea from my brother, he says to get insurance now, and have her say I hit her at a later date. Definitely fraud, but it would work...

The lady is much less thrilled about that idea. Now I'm a creep who definitely looks like I knew I wasn't covered, and tried to cover up. Idiot.

Get a call from the ohsp, to complete an accident report. So I went. He didn't cite me, as he wasn't present at the scene. I'm pretty sure the whole situation disgusted him.

So, now her insurance sent me a letter to "discuss the matter".

I could fix her bumper with silver nail polish in less than 60 seconds...

A new one costs 200 on eBay, and 800 from Honda. Plus shop fees...

Ugh.

Fix this with the insurance company. They can, if they wish, file a form with the state and your license is gone for six months plus however long it takes to make payment arrangements. One you start paying you get your license back, after the initial six month suspension.

You are going to have to pay for this no matter what. So you might as well get started.

And don't post your insurance fraud plans on the internet.

• Upvote 1

I made no statement that I wasn't going to pay. Calm your tits. I'm just pissed at the whole thing. Can't be mad at the wife, but man of only I would have actually read the insurance bill...

Whether we admit it here or not, we all know the feeling. I paid $500 last fall for landscaping over a filled trench that hadn't settled yet. Everyone told me I was being too quick, but the mound of dirt was hideous. Guess what? Yea, the dirt settled and now I'll have to spend another $750 to haul in dirt, grade it, wait a month for it to settle then reset the pavers. I could try to blame the contractor but the reality is that I have nobody else to blame but myself.

Do the right thing and take your situation as a learning lesson. And review all your other insurance documents while you're at it!

You guys are harsh.

Bad times are usually due to multiple things going wrong at once that individually are not problems, but collectively cause a mess. I can see how that may have happened and how it looks to those on the outside looking in.

I guess I'm assuming the OP is being honest and have no reason to expect otherwise - what are you seeing that I'm not? Why would someone start a post (to vent?) and lie about it? He's not asking for anything nor is it going to influence the situation. In other words, there's nothing to gain from embellishing the truth other than to save face and if that's the case why post at all? Frankly, it seems lot of people on here are the "glass is half empty" types.

My post was not intended to be a slam on the OP. I certainly was blunt about what could happen to him, but it needed to be said so he knew he had to respond to the insurance company right away and get it cleared up before they made his life a living hell.

Instead of whining about this, the OP should right the wrong & be thankful he isn't getting his ass sued off for a more serious accident. Not a lot of sympathy from me for people that drive without insurance, whatever the excuse.

• Upvote 1

Yeah we were hit by an old man with no insurance. Cost us a grand for the copay on our uninsured motorist coverage.

over half my insurance cost is uninsured motorist. And when you sign that paper when you renew your license plates you are stating you have insurance. Such bullshit. I think those that don't have insurance should have their balls chopped off so they cannot pollute the rest of the world with their stupidity

over half my insurance cost is uninsured motorist. And when you sign that paper when you renew your license plates you are stating you have insurance. Such bullshit. I think those that don't have insurance should have their balls chopped off so they cannot pollute the rest of the world with their stupidity

In the last 15 years or so I have been hit once and the wife twice. None of the three asshats had insurance. I agree, the law needs some teeth. For example, no offense to the OP, he went down and filled out a police report....with no insurance...and the cop didn't ticket him for that.

In the last 15 years or so I have been hit once and the wife twice. None of the three asshats had insurance. I agree, the law needs some teeth. For example, no offense to the OP, he went down and filled out a police report....with no insurance...and the cop didn't ticket him for that.

I'm glad he wasn't ticketed for being accountable.  I think a better solution would be to have an integrated verification process but a lot of you guys don't believe in government intervention.

Nope. Not a fan of prison, at all. I see it as a necessary evil, but not in it's current shape. (Prison for profit)

I totally agree with you, but then how would you pin financial responsibility for accidents to drivers?

I'm glad he wasn't ticketed for being accountable.  I think a better solution would be to have an integrated verification process but a lot of you guys don't believe in government intervention.

Can't be too hard to do, if you have a car loan and drop your insurance the bank seems to know in about two seconds.

I got hit by a 23 year old girl talking on her phone with no insurance in 2010 I ended up with $180,000 in medical bills 2 broken hips a mirror thru my stomach and 3 months out of work. There is no excuses for not having insurance NO SYMPATHY HERE. I did get some satisfaction she called my house about 3 weeks after the accident and asked for me I recognized her name on the caller ID when I answered the phone I told her that he doesn’t live here anymore and that he died from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. That might have been a little cold but it made me feel better at the time.