Rider dies after hitting pothole while traveling over 100 mph in Minnesota

Casper

You always hate to hear someone getting killed on a bike but when you read the article: 100-120 mph and the other bike fled the scene (which was described as a sportbike); you cant help but think, "squid".

Edited by Bakemono

If you head out riding early in the year, there's just some stuff you've got to be more cognisant of.  I'm personally not in a big hurry to get out there, I'll let the cage take the beating first.

You always hate to hear someone getting killed on a bike but when you read the article: 100-120 mph and the other bike fled the scene (which was described as a sportbike); you cant help but think, "squid".

I would have fled the scene too... You know what happens when 2 bikes are riding over 100mph and someone dies? The other rider is charged with manslaughter and goes to prison for a long fucking time... I love my friends, but dead is dead, if I can avoid prison I'm going to... Plenty of witnesses to call this incident in, nothing the second rider could even do, and no reason to get locked up for it

I have to admit, beyond salt and sand, my biggest fear around taking advantage of these brief warm days in the middle of Winter are all the potholes you discover.

That look familiar :)

There are advantages to riding a bike with some suspension (Vstrom) but thats not going to help much at 100mph.

Frustrating hearing accidents like this that are completely avoidable by using your brain for something besides an air bag. :(

Craig 

Squid is a newb rider with no gear, not as to how a person rides.

I am far from a squid and my group hits those speeds everytime we ride. Can happen to anyone, don't be a hypocrite. You've done it too.

Clearly we disagree about what a squid is.  I was always taught that a squid is anyone who doesnt wear gear and rides in an unsafe manner.

• Upvote 2

I would have fled the scene too... You know what happens when 2 bikes are riding over 100mph and someone dies? The other rider is charged with manslaughter and goes to prison for a long fucking time... I love my friends, but dead is dead, if I can avoid prison I'm going to... Plenty of witnesses to call this incident in, nothing the second rider could even do, and no reason to get locked up for it

I can understand that logic, I just dont know if I could leave my buddy behind, dying in a ditch.  At that point, youve made your choices and maybe you deserve some prison time.

Clearly we disagree about what a squid is.  I was always taught that a squid is anyone who doesnt wear gear and rides in an unsafe manner.

Squids often wear helmets on the freeway because the wind hurts their face. Its the reason they leave them on the helmet lock when riding around town :)

I always thought o a squid as you do unsafe rider, usually wearing no gear. Newbie doesn't have much to do with it though most either get injured and stop riding or grow up so there are not too many veteran squids. 

Craig

Squids often wear helmets on the freeway because the wind hurts their face. Its the reason they leave them on the helmet lock when riding around town :)

I always thought o a squid as you do unsafe rider, usually wearing no gear. Newbie doesn't have much to do with it though most either get injured and stop riding or grow up so there are not too many veteran squids. 

Craig

What does that make Harley riders who never wear a helmet and wear Harley shirts with the sleeves cut off then? LOL

Sucks to hear, but shit can happen in a split second at triple digit speeds. What's the deal with posting his employer? Afterall, what's his job got to do with it? Coworkers at my job know me by name. I just see no need to drag 3M into it :nono:

RIP rider :rip:

I am no lawyer, but how does someone riding with another at triple digit speeds contribute to their demise?  I get if it could be proven there was reckless riding (excessive speed), but the charge would be reckless op, not manslaughter?  Or if you had a passenger on the back and they were killed....

I am no lawyer, but how does someone riding with another at triple digit speeds contribute to their demise? I get if it could be proven there was reckless riding (excessive speed), but the charge would be reckless op, not manslaughter? Or if you had a passenger on the back and they were killed....

The state will fight that you were racing, therefore you contributed to the other riders death.

If you're in the middle of nowhere, definitely stop and call a squad... But on a freeway with a ton of witnesses, somebody else is already dialing and I don't think it wise to hang around and go to prison.

Sounds like maybe the now departed rider wasn't going fast enough. Higher speed would have kept the tires from dropping as far into the chuckhole & would have added more gyroscopic stability. RIP rider.

Sounds like maybe the now departed rider wasn't going fast enough. Higher speed would have kept the tires from dropping as far into the chuckhole & would have added more gyroscopic stability. RIP rider.

This is what I was thinking... I've hit pot holes on the freeway at triple digits and barely felt them.

Witnesses simply aren't a reliable or accurate source for speed. They can say 'I was going 65 and they passed me going faster' but unless the witness caught up and paced them or happened to have a radar gun handy it's not credible in court.

Forensic estimates of speed based on vehicle weight and distance from initial impact to resting point however are.