Abusing the Warm Winter Break - 150MPH Chase in Medina

Agent3012

I always enjoy reading the comments at the bottom of news stories like this. I wonder why they didn't go faster on I76. If you were doing over 150 on I71, why let off? It's not like you are going to get any leniency.

I always enjoy reading the comments at the bottom of news stories like this. I wonder why they didn't go faster on I76. If you were doing over 150 on I71, why let off? It's not like you are going to get any leniency.

That stretch of 76 is tore up due to construction

The comments of him killing someone is a little over dramatic I think. Physics 101 tells us that mass times velocity equals force. It has no where near the mass of a car. It is possible if he rearended someone and flew through the glass. No doubt he had skills though

The comments section after the article are pretty predictable but they all seem to agree the rider must have had some skillz to get away.

Interesting quote from the article:

The police department reached out to the Ohio Highway Patrol for their assistance, and troopers just happened to have a fixed wing airplane in the area at the time doing traffic enforcement.

Troopers continued to watch from the air as the motorcycle continued at high speeds south on Interstate 71, exiting on Interstate 76 eastbound toward Wadsworth.

“It’s sort of classified as a pursuit, but we were so far behind it our vehicles could not keep up with it — the only reason we were able to track it was because of the airplane,” said Arbogast.

Police said the plates and VIN # didn't match for whatever that is worth.

Not impressed... Obviously oshp has policies about excessive speed during pursuits that hindered them ... And he got away but had to leave the bike... Would be more impressed if police gave it their all and the dude managed to get away with the bike... Out here, police don't have have any pursuit restrictions on highways... They will run you down to 150+

Edited by Steve Butters

Physics 101 tells us that mass times velocity equals force. It has no where near the mass of a car.

Actually Force = mass x acceleration.  Momentum = mass x velocity.

At a constant speed with no change in direction, acceleration = 0.

But you're right that the car has far more force to transmit, due to its greater momentum.

I'll be generous with estimates here, and say that bike + rider = 800 lbs.  800lbs x 150mph = 120,000 (whatever unit that creates)

Again, we'll be generous with the comparison, and estimate the car's weight pretty low at 3500 lbs. with passengers.  3500 x 75mph = 262,000 (whatever unit that creates)

A car doing half the speed of the bike (and within a real-world margin of the posted limit) still has more than twice as much force when it acts upon another object. But frankly I think people being scared idiots is the greater danger than the motorcyclist actually hitting anyone.

I'll be generous with estimates here, and say that bike + rider = 800 lbs.  800lbs x 150mph = 120,000 (whatever unit that creates)

Your mystery units would reduce down to pound feet per second.  So with 5280 feet per mile and 3600 seconds per hour, the back-of-napkin equation will calculate out to...

(800 lbs * 150 * 5280 ft) / 3600 sec = 176,000 lb.ft./s

A car doing half the speed of the bike (and within a real-world margin of the posted limit) still has more than twice as much force when it acts upon another object. But frankly I think people being scared idiots is the greater danger than the motorcyclist actually hitting anyone.

So what you are saying is that rider would hit the car with the same force as a car traveling about 35mph...an no one is ever injured in those kind of accidents.

Another likely cause of fatality to someone not involved would be a car taking evasive maneuvers and losing control. 

Ofcourse police are also wary of doing something that would lead to the riders death even if the rider is unconcerned.

And 176,000 lb ft/sec is a pretty big number.

Craig

Cops should just not chase sport bikes. If the guy isn't gonna stop for one cop, he's not going to stop for 20 cops. Yes the rider is in the wrong for whatever he was doing in the first place plus running on top of it. Yes you should always pull over for the cops. But for a cop to chase a bike he has no chance of catching? It just spurs the rider to higher speeds and makes an already dangerous situation more so. Get the tag number and wait around his neighborhood if you want him that bad.

• Upvote 1