AT&T picks Cleveland over Columbus for new high speed internet?

Casper

Cleveland is a shithole if there ever was one (the Burb's are nice, to an extent) and C-Bus isn't much better even though I lived on the north side which is still decent.  

As for U-Verse, I had their service when I lived in Toledo back in 2010 and it wasn't all that great at the time.  

And some of us work from home so we need fast interwebz.

That's the pretty side....if there actually is one....but the places I have to go for work in Cleveland will not leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling.  

East Cleveland is a whole different animal. But that's like saying Cincinnati is shit because OTR exists too. It's more of a pocket than the whole story

Edited by Bad324

Though I'm living in Columbus at the moment, I'm siding with Bad here.

Cleveland and Cincinnati are the only real cities in Ohio. Columbus is a nice enough place to raise a family, but it's basically a cow - town that would fall apart without the tax dollars flowing in from the rest of the state to support our giant state government apparatus and OSU.

Cleveland and Cincinnati are the only real cities in Ohio. Columbus is a nice enough place to raise a family, but it's basically a cow - town that would fall apart without the tax dollars flowing in from the rest of the state to support our giant state government apparatus and OSU.

Ummm, you are aware that 20,000 JPMorgan Chase employees work in and around Columbus, right? And AEP. And BMW Financial. And Scott's, and The Limited Brands, and Cardinal Health, and Nationwide and Citi and Quickcrete and Honda and multiple telecoms and hundreds more medium and large-sized companies that have nothing to do with OSU or the capital.

You need to visit some career fairs, or consult.

• Upvote 1

:lol:

My issue with Columbus is it feels like one giant suburb. It doesn't feel like a city. I don't hate it, but don't really care if I go there.

I agree about the suburb point. For me, that's a great feature because it translated into a profitable, low crime and genteel place to raise a family. But it's not where I'd go to vacation or spend a wreckless youth - I'd save NYC, Seattle or San Fran for that.

To me, parts of Cleveland have their charm, but I like Pittsburgh better. Cinci doesn't give me anything Columbus can't, since I'm not much of a sports fan.

• Upvote 1

I agree about the suburb point. For me, that's a great feature because it translated into a profitable, low crime and genteel place to raise a family. But it's not where I'd go to vacation or spend a wreckless youth - I'd save NYC, Seattle or San Fran for that.

To me, parts of Cleveland have their charm, but I like Pittsburgh better. Cinci doesn't give me anything Columbus can't, since I'm not much of a sports fan.

I prefer Pittsburgh over all of the above also. Freaking amazing how they turned that city around.  The crime thing is a bit misleading. If you look at columbus metor it is ranked 271st in the country, Cleveland is 294. Not that far apart really. City limits, 6000 violent crimes in CBus, 5400 in Cleveland. But Cleveland's population is lower so violent crime per 1000 Cleveland is higher. But no matter how you slice it they are very similar.

My issue with Columbus is it feels like one giant suburb. It doesn't feel like a city. I don't hate it, but don't really care if I go there.

Right. There just isn't any central business or nightlife district in columbus holding the place together. Our downtown is government and Nationwide, and lunch only eateries to support those workers.

There is a bit of nightlife in the arena/park street/short north corridor, but most of the metro area is going out around whatever burb they life closest to.

The draw of Cbus is basically the sprawl -- lots of available land on which to build affordable corporate campuses and homes. Economically prosperous and some nice areas to raise kids, but it's all a bit anathema to my idea of a "city."

Right. There just isn't any central business or nightlife district in columbus holding the place together. Our downtown is government and Nationwide, and lunch only eateries to support those workers.

There is a bit of nightlife in the arena/park street/short north corridor, but most of the metro area is going out around whatever burb they life closest to.

The draw of Cbus is basically the sprawl -- lots of available land on which to build affordable corporate campuses and homes. Economically prosperous and some nice areas to raise kids, but it's all a bit anathema to my idea of a "city."

I'm not sure where you go downtown but there's a lot more to it than what you think. I worked downtown for ten years (until about two years ago). I really miss all of the places to eat and drink after work.

I'm not sure where you go downtown but there's a lot more to it than what you think. I worked downtown for ten years (until about two years ago). I really miss all of the places to eat and drink after work.

I think both of those points are fair (coming from a Columbus suburb resident of 20+ years).  But, I don't think bloodninja is seeking out the fun.  Just within a couple miles of downtown, there's the North Market for fresh produce and ethnic meals, alternative bars and nightclubs on Wall Street and Gay Street, the artsy district of the Short North (Gallery Hop is great for people watching after consuming free wine and cheese), swanky meals at places like Mitchel's, M and Milestone 229.  Skully's is a hoot for live music, so is the Rhumba Cafe (seek out Spikedrivers for a swampy folk mashup).  The Doodah parade is a total gas, and Comfest is a hippie's dream.  There are bars for every age group in the now-well-developed Arena District, including microbreweries and a dueling piano bar.

Seriously, if you visited 4 different places every weekend without repeat visits, it would take you well over a year to cover the majority of them.  And that doesn't even include the Jazz and Rib Fest, the Columbus Arts festival, Blue Jackets hockey, motorcycle, car and fitness shows, the Ohio State Fair...

just because i need something to entertain me while i sit at my moms for this Dish install

Don't click on that link gang, CoolCleveland has been infected for some time with malware.

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.coolcleveland.com

Maybe edit the link Bad.

Edited by Tonik

The only thing that sucks more than Cleveland is Windows. :lol:

You mean the windows that told me that site was infected as compared to whatever hipster OS you are running that didn't? :mittens:

You mean the windows that told me that site was infected as compared to whatever hipster OS you are running that didn't? :mittens:

I'm not entirely sure it's infected. Click on the blacklist tab. It only shows Yandex as having it blacklisted, and all of the others show it as clean. And the Sucuri site is trying to sell a cleanup service. So.... 

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=coolcleveland.com

Looks to me that your Windows warning is a little outdated. 

Of the 18 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-04-23, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2014-02-14.