Out Of State Salvage Title?

ScubaCinci

Anyone ever buy a bike from out of state with a salvage title? It sounds like the process may be to have the title signed over, get an OH salvage title, then get it inspected and get a Rebuilt Salvage title. Is this right? I've read elsewhere (unofficially) that you cannot x-fer a salvage title to OH at all, only rebuilt salvage.

my bike that i bought had a salvage title and i didn't know it because the state it came from didn't brand titles so when i got it here i just had it inspected like you would a car and took it into the title office and the transferred it over and thats when i discovered it had been stolen early on in its life.

Intrastate can be a crap shoot.

I sold a bike that was rebuilt salvage (it was an insurance recovery not even wrecked) that was already inspected by OSHP, registered, and plated in Ohio.  The guy that bought it lived in Maine.  Maine treated it like a salvage and wouldn't issue plates.  He had to jump though all kinds of hoops.  He had to get paperwork sent from OSHP and get it reinspected in Maine.  It took him like 3 months to get plates :( 

Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of.

It's a killer deal on a bike I've always wanted and the only damage on the bike is the frame has a small dent and scratch where a car bumped it in a parking lot. Looking at the Ohio salvage title info online, they want receipts for parts, etc and in this case, there are none so I'm afraid they'll disallow it and I'll end up either spending way more time than I want to on it or being stuck with a bike I can't legally ride on the road.

just tell them the situation, that you bought it as is....nothing to repair, nothing to have receipts for.....heck my dad got hit on his bike, and fixed it all out of pocket....somehow the system never caught on that it was salvage title because they kept renewing his plates and his insurance company didnt say anything....so he was riding around on a salvage title bike, no inspection or anything, for like 10 years....it wasnt until he passed away and i tried to put plates on the bike did i realize there was an issue....told them the situation, they inspected it, approved....easy as can be.....didnt have a single receipt for any repairs or anything, and the insurance company wrote it off as a total loss because it was pretty fucking mangled when the wreck happened....they dont care man, just pay the fee and thats all that matters to them

Edited by Steve Butters

It depends on the inspector you get.  Some will pass anything with two wheels and a motor.  Others will want to go over every little thing.

I think you'd be able to get it plated, but I would plan on some red tape.

It got totaled by insurance because of a dent/scratch on the frame, right?  You could take it to a shop to get the frame inspected, or better yet have the seller do it.  Either way you could get a receipt that says frame inspection 'Pass.'  That would help get it plated.

If the frame has any serious structural damage, you probably don't want it anyway. 

The damage is extremely minor and doesn't compromise the rigidity or safety of the frame at all according to the seller and you can barely see any damage in the pics.

The other thing I have to contend with is the wife who won't be ok with 2 street bikes in the garage so I'd have to sell my beloved Z which I'd hate to do.

True, the Z has been a kick ass bike. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I've test ridden the BMW back when there was still a dealer in Cinci. I remember it being a beast that was ultra-smooth (I had a gen 1 FZ1 at the time) and I so wanted one but the $15k price tag was a bit much.