Lets debate oil!!

Tonik

nothing to do with this thread but my wifes full size car (Impala) takes less oil thank my bike. :nono: still blows my mind.

Motorcycle engines, even water cooled ones, still utilize the oil in some part or another to cool engine components. The motor also shares oil with the tranny whereas a car has separate tranny fluid (not that kind of tranny fluid mags, don't get excited). Hence the need for more volume. More volume = more cooling capacity.

How does that work....parked and engine off to check the oil? I want one of those buttons.

It is a digital read out dip stick that Harley sells for their bikes. Oil level needs to be checked engine off on side stand oil temp can be checked any time. It works great as long as the battery is not dead I need to replace mine I’m glad this came up I will do that today. It lasted 3 years. Edited by HeavyDuty

I learned something about changing the oil on my Z1000 that I had read online. I fill the oil filter with oil before installing it. This takes several iterations of filling because it soaks in. Then, I subtract this amount added from the overall capacity needed. I haven't tried it without doing this but I'm told that the oil light will come on for a few minutes on engine start if this isn't done and tends to freak people out. Works great.

My 1982 GS 850 has a sight glass. My garage floor is level. 

When checking the oil, I squat down next to the bike on the right side,  grab the front brake, stand the bike straight up, ( the side stand is on the left side ) while crouching down looking at the oil level in the sight glass. Engine cold. My biggest concern is not having the bike fall over on top of me, if i pull it over too much to the right side.

• Upvote 1

A few seconds, maybe. That's pretty normal until the pressure switch is triggered. I prefer to pre-fill the filters, so long as they're not horizontal mount.

I've been told the Z's stay on for a minute or more and varies by bike. Mine is just shy of horizontal and I have yet to spill a drop!

My 1982 GS 850 has a sight glass. My garage floor is level. 

When checking the oil, I squat down next to the bike on the right side,  grab the front brake, stand the bike straight up, ( the side stand is on the left side ) while crouching down looking at the oil level in the sight glass. Engine cold. My biggest concern is not having the bike fall over on top of me, if i pull it over too much to the right side.

If I don't have mine on the stands, this is how I do mine too. There's always that moment of panic...

• 2 months later...

They can't even make this simple on the aircraft I fly. "Check the oil within 10 minutes of shutdown"...wait, was that WITHIN or AFTER 10 minutes? It's changed a couple times in the last 10 years I've been flying these four different types. If it's after, how long after? Does the lack of a CAS message constitute a valid check, or do I have to open panels? What if the ramp isn't level? What if I motor the engine, turn the plane around and the message goes away? Never mind the fact that they warn us that in certain cases, an over-full condition can lead to scavenging ALL the oil overboard...or servicing both motors on the same leg can lead to engine failure. Some of the Rolls Royce motors maintain oil levels at -2 pints, some at -4. Servicing a motor above where it wants to run means having oil all over the cowl and a drippy mess on the ramp.

Yep...I'll take a motorcycle any day.

Ah yes...the wonders and fun of a dry sump lubrication system. I have one on my Tuono and it is a PITA to check the oil level.