Rider Injured - Sawmill Rd and Federated Blvd

BDBGoalie

Been a while since i posted anything but tonight makes me feel the need to do so

Walked out of work tonight just in time to watch someone on a sport bike pop up the front end heading East on Federated from Sawmill. Popped it up immediately after turning and accelerated hard on the rear wheel right into a car turning left. Impact was likely 50 mph - 70 mph directly into the front quarter.

I was first responder and didn't pay attention to the bike, but it looked to be a white 600. Rider was pretty rough off. I did what I could in the situation, but as soon as the EMS arrived and I gave a sit rep I cleared out.

He was helmeted with light gloves but that was about it. Hopefully he makes it through and heals up.

Just a reminder to make good choices and be careful out there.

Biker was turning from Sawmill headed east on Federated in the right lane.

Car was heading west on Federated turning left into the shopping center South of Federated right before Sawmill.

My POV was from the side but behind the rider. Bike was screened by another vehicle that turned just before him in the left lane. Bike was into a wheelie before he cleared the screen. The headlight was in the air before the bike would've been in sight so the car may have never really seen him before impact.

Person that turned could have been tight, but was likely clear. Bike ran into him because he picked it up and accelerated on the rear wheel at the same time the car had started turning. Bike couldn't even have slowed down cause he was on the rear.

When I make that turn I don't go if ppl are in front of me. But I'm safety conscience. I'd put the car at minor fault.

The bikes speed, choice of time to accelerate, and the inability to stop because of the wheelie puts him mainly at fault IMO.

Are you trying to tell me that it's not a good idea to take away your ability to brake and steer while there are other motorists around?

Next you're going to tell me that a headlight shining up in the air is less visible than one aimed down the road...

• Upvote 3

I wish I could take that high and mighty approach, but I attempt to wheelie the XR pretty much every time i'm on it...

Either in the pits on the way to the grid, or on the cool-down lap after the race, I'm going to try to pull the front wheel up.  I do make an attempt to only try such tomfoolery when my mistake is unlikely to affect others.

I wouldn't say it's high and mighty, more like conservative. I spent a lot of time and money getting my bikes the way I want them and I'll be damned if I'll jack 'em up screwing around. Not to say that my front wheel never leaves the ground, only briefly. I never was any good on unicycles :lol:

I went to Google Street View.  I didn't see a speed limit sign,

but I'm assuming it's 35 mph based on all the driveways.

It's dark.  I'm in my car.  I expect to see the headlights of

other vehicles on the street.  That tells me they are there.

I'm not expecting a dark object to be flying up the street

well over the speed limit, at night when it's hard enough to

see things.  I make a left turn when I see no other vehicles

coming towards me.  SLAM!!!  WTF was that?  It was

impossible to see.  I was focused on distant vehicles

approaching me.  They had headlights clearly visible.

I think the law may state that a headlight must be visible

from  a certain distance and must be turned on when dark.

Apparently his was not visible from  that distance on that

evening.  I would be very likely to kick him while he's down.

I'd be pissed.  Asshole!

If you are going to be stupid, at least be stupid in the daylight

so that we can all see it.  I'm not sympathetic to morons.

Edited by JackFlash
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...