Mechanic Needed - Suspension Install on FZ-09

ninjagirl219

Howdy folks. So someone recommended someone on this forum to me about a year ago and I can't for the life of me remember who that someone was. He was great and fixed my front fork issue. 

I bought the FZ-09 and planning to buy the AK-20 front stuff and a Penske rear shock. I'm a dunce in the mechanical department so hoping this guy, if he still works on bikes, is around to install it (when I get it hopefully in the next couple weeks before an upcoming track day). 

Anyone remember his name? He lived out in Hilliard but was moving to a bigger place some place with a bigger garage. Any help would be great.

Or if you or someone you know does work in this department, lemme know! :D

Sounds like Ryan. But really, suspension install should be a breeze if you have the proper means of holding the bike up without the suspension bearing any load.

I would go to Ryan to have a baseline sag set up once it's all on the bike, but even I would feel pretty confident installing the items mentioned.

That said, I have a steering head stand, and a home made bike hoist (daily use is a pull-up bar). If you have woodcraft or vortex rearsets, you can rest the pegs on jack stands to do the shock. It's really pretty simple.

I'm pretty excited by it. This bike is probably the most fun bike I have ever owned (second only to my supermoto) even with the crappy suspension and throttle twitchiness. I need to learn more about the ECU thing. Heard about what it can do and would looooove to get the throttle smoother responding. 

You could have saved a bunch of time and money if you'd just bought the Ohlins suspended Monster. :p

Paul, I'm pretty sure I'll never own a Ducati. Pretty bike, but nah! :p

And I keep forgetting about you being all motor mechanic guy. :D I could always bring my baby boy up to you! Looks like I won't have my rear suspension before the track day though. :( The front stuff should be here soon. I think they're shipping today.

Steph/Ryan,

Do you need a tech rider to give feedback on the suspension setup :)

Haha!!! Got it covered man! ;) 

Thanks Ryan for replying. I'll get with you on more details soon. Just ordered the front today. Hoping to have that soon. Doesn't look like I'll have the shock until after the track day though. :(

if you have all the right tools, then its not terrible.

if you don't, plan on spending a couple hundred for the correct tools before you even get started.

you need a fork spring compresser, fork catdridge holding tool, fork oil level gauge, long allen key for the bottom bolt that holds the cartridge in, and some other odds and end tools as well.  and a head lift stand if you don't have one

its cheaper to pay me to do it than buying all the tools  :)