If you don't have one, get one!

Tpoppa

I was riding 536 yesterday and my handling was going away quickly. By the end I was sliding all over the road.  I pulled over to inspect the bike and found a puncture in my rear tire.  Rear PSI was down to 12 lbs.

This 12v Slime mini compressor is bad ass.  It weighs about 2 lbs and fits in a tank or tail bag.  It will plug into a Battery Tender lead or clip onto battery terminals.  It inflates a tire in about 3 minutes.  

I always travel with this compressor and a tire plug kit.  I never had to use it until yesterday.  It came in really handy, especially since I was 200 miles from home.  

2009012717321931982_lrg.jpg

slime-pump-kit.jpg

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 2

is the sensation of a tire losing air at all similar to riding on pavement that's been ground down for resurfacing? 

I hate that floating feeling as the tires wander with the grooves...

Yes, exactly.  The pavement on 536 is pretty chewed up.  There are lots of rough, gravely looking patches that cover the outside of the lane.  At first I thought I was 'wandering' over the patches.  By the end I was bouncing and sliding all over.  I was kind of expecting to see a cracked swing arm, so the flat tire didn't seem so bad. 

I have the Harbor Freight compressor.  It fits under the seat of my ST1100 and rides in the saddlebag of the Norge.  I have used them on multiple occasions and they work fine.  I you haven't plugged a tire, ask to borrow an old tire from a dealer and practice.  It is more fun learning in your garage with a cold adult beverage that on the side of the road in the rain, in the dark.

My slime compressor and plug kit stays under my seat. Came in damn handy once in Savannah. Finished class, back to hotel to jump on the mighty FJR and head north towards a weekend in the mountains...only to find the rear tire totally flat. Pulled offending nail, plugged tire, applied pump - on my way in 15 minutes. Could have ruined the whole day.