Time to upgrade helmet. Need "oval" or "long oval" - what to look at?

Phreon

I have an LS2 full face helmet, my first. After having a minor "traction disability", I figure it's time to upgrade.  Not because the helmet took a hit, but because I'm pretty attached to my brain. Since I can't rely on good looks, I figure I need to keep the noggin working.

I have a "long oval" head and had a hard time finding anything that fits when I was looking. The LS2 is pretty good, but it shifts up and down too much. Also, since I wear hearing aids, wind noise is a real problem. Any idea what brands / models to look at?  Long oval, better than DOT, reasonably quiet, reasonable ventilation, mid range price?  I heard the ICONs are pretty good, but maybe noisy.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Phreon

This WebBikeWorld listing of helmet by shape might be helpful in choosing which ones to check out first:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

+1

That's where I started, but nothing beats first hand experience.

My oval head fits best with HJC, Scorpion, and Bell. Bell being my first choice in terms of quality.

• Upvote 1

I looked at the webbikeworld link a while back - it seemed a bit out of date.  I intend to try helmets on somewhere, but that doesn't tell me how noisy they are. Information seems sketchy in this regard.

Thanks

I can't comment on noise because I always use ear plugs. But one very general rule of thumb is if they say it has a lot of ventilation, that usually means noisy, and vice versa. It's kind of obvious if you think about it. More ventilation = more wind = more wind noise.

• Upvote 2

Arai Signet is the true Long Oval shape... I just went through this process earlier this year.  I must have tried on 15+ different helmets at the IMS show, was measured the the Arai guy, Shoei rep ect....  Arai dealer could spot my oval head from 20' away.  The Signet wasn't cheap but if you have the Long Oval head.. your options are limited.    I was really hoping to get a Scorpion helmet to fit properly. 

Sweet jumping Jehosephat! $550+ for the Signet-Q.  When I was trying helmets, they did have me try a Shoei - it felt like a Lay-Z-Boy for my head, but the sticker priced me out of it. I was hoping for sub $300.

I can mute my hearing aids (they have a remote), but even with them effectively off, I hear a constant woooooooo that changes to a full on blast/rumble if I lean my head forward at all in my LS2 (at speed). I attribute part of it to the mediocre fit - too much room around the sides/ears. I want quiet, but with swampy SW Ohio summers, ventilation is important.

All I want is a magnificent helmet that fits perfectly, is quiet, has great ventilation and is cheap. And it must make me irresistible to the ladies while filling my bank account. Is that too much to ask?

Riders Discount had mentioned they were going to post on how to measure and fit a helmet for online purchase.  I know that's not a direct answer to your question, but it might help open up some more model options.

I have never owned a helmet that I felt really fit me perfectly.  I'd like to find that, and just start stocking up on them...

My next helmet as of today will cost $626.99.

Based on a limit of seven good riding months

in our part of the country, it breaks down to

around $17.91 per month, over a five year

period.  I will probably actually wear the

helmet longer than that, considering the price

because I think it's partly marketing that tells

us to buy a new one every five years.

But, if I break it down to what it cost me each

time I go for a ride, it's not much money to

protect my priceless skull.  I know it's a big

price to pay, all at one time, but if you stretch

it out over the time you expect to use it, it

helps us to justify the expense.

It's like adding a buck or two to a gallon of

gas.  If gas was five-fifty USD, we would still

ride.  Maybe we would ride even more, and

drive our cars even less.  The more you ride,

the less expensive the helmet becomes per

ride.

My next helmet as of today will cost $626.99.

Based on a limit of seven good riding months

in our part of the country, it breaks down to

around $17.91 per month, over a five year

period.  I will probably actually wear the

helmet longer than that, considering the price

because I think it's partly marketing that tells

us to buy a new one every five years.

Plans are all well and good, but some of us go through helmets a lot quicker than that.

And the 5 year rule is not a joke.   I have two identical Bell Vortex helmets.  One I crashed the second day I wore it.  It went on a shelf in my closet, for use as target practice.  The second one I have worn for the last 2 years.  I put the "old" one on the other day, and the difference in fit is extremely significant.  The padding just breaks down in the helmet you wear more often.  And I am religious about washing out my helmet after a day of use.   I come home from the track, and bring the helmet into the shower with me, then dry it on a fan over night. 

With any significant use, I can't foresee a helmet really lasting more than 2-3 years tops...  I try to buy safe helmets without creature comforts. 

Plans are all well and good, but some of us go through helmets a lot quicker than that.

And the 5 year rule is not a joke.   I have two identical Bell Vortex helmets.  One I crashed the second day I wore it.  It went on a shelf in my closet, for use as target practice.  The second one I have worn for the last 2 years.  I put the "old" one on the other day, and the difference in fit is extremely significant.  The padding just breaks down in the helmet you wear more often.  And I am religious about washing out my helmet after a day of use.   I come home from the track, and bring the helmet into the shower with me, then dry it on a fan over night. 

With any significant use, I can't foresee a helmet really lasting more than 2-3 years tops...  I try to buy safe helmets without creature comforts. 

I was hoping that the difference in fit would be from the

padding continuing to adjust to my head shape.  I can

move it around on my head just a bit more than when I

first bought it plus, now it is more comfortable.

Do you wear the same helmet on the street as you do

on the track?  I want to ride comfortably, so I do want

some comfort features.

I've only done about 500 miles of street riding this season, and this is the first time I've had a plated bike since 2011, so right now I am wearing the same helmet for street and track.

I honestly think that expensive helmets are more necessary for street rides, where you're going to be wearing the lid for hours on end.  My track helmets are only worn for 30 minutes at a time or so, and I am so focused on riding that I don't notice any mild discomfort in the padding, etc.

I haven't done so recently, but a few years ago I did quite a bit of research on which helmets provided the best protection for the least amount of money.   Thus how I started buying Scorpions.  But now they've changed all their models so many times that I don't even know which one fits me any more... 

BTW, it's fair to say any helmet designed for a sport riding position won't work for me. With the neck issues I have, I only ride bikes that keep me close to "bolt upright" - My NightHawk 750 is almost too much w/o risers.  Forward tuck = massive migraine.   I have a feeling this would eliminate Scorpion, which otherwise has some interesting offereings. Don't know about Icon.  Or Bell.

Thx

Edited by Phreon

has anyone slummed it and bought an AFX helmet?

The only thing I'm reading that I really don't like is that they only have 1 shell size...  I wear a medium or a large, depending on the brand, and my dome looks HUGE in Bell helmets, and badass in Scorpions.   I much prefer the smaller shell...

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home

This is the best site I have found to date rating helmets and giving info on helmets. Their testing results is a perfect example of "just because it costs more does not necessarily mean it it a better as in more protective product".

So far, after reading up, I have the following on my list to check out:

Icon Airmada

Bell RS-1

Shark S700 / S900

Scorpion EXO-500/700

Arai Signet-Q (breaks my budget)

What else?

Edited by Phreon

Thanks for all the input. I'm just going to have to take a trip up to Iron Pony and try on a few helmets. That is unless any of you can recommend a shop with a wide selection in or near Cincinnati. I haven't found a place yet that carries all or most of the brands I've listed above.