Opinions needed on weird wood project

max power

Our larger lasercutter has an area of 18" x 32", so I could engrave this piece for you, if you still need it done. I'm not extremely proficient in creating drawings in CAD or Corel (the two programs we use on our machine), but I've managed it before when creating a wood engraved plaque/card.  

• Upvote 1

Our larger lasercutter has an area of 18" x 32", so I could engrave this piece for you, if you still need it done. I'm not extremely proficient in creating drawings in CAD or Corel (the two programs we use on our machine), but I've managed it before when creating a wood engraved plaque/card.

That would be awesome! Are you in Columbus?

Also, are you saying you can engrave the wood itself, or the aluminum plates that I can lay over the wood and burn the letters in? Engraving the wood itself would be very cool. Excuse my stupidity, but how do these laser cutters work on wood?

Edited by max power

That would be awesome! Are you in Columbus?

Also, are you saying you can engrave the wood itself, or the aluminum plates that I can lay over the wood and burn the letters in? Engraving the wood itself would be very cool. Excuse my stupidity, but how do these laser cutters work on wood?

I live in Pataskala; work in Lewis Center. 

This would be to engrave the wood itself. I don't believe our machines can cut/engrave metal. 

It uses a high power laser that runs through optic lenses, focused on the material, it'll burn it away. You can adjust the settings of the laser (speed, power and pulses per inch- PPI), to cut or engrave different materials. For wood, you'd want to have a decreased power with increased speed so you don't set it on fire.  

This would be to engrave the wood itself. I don't believe our machines can cut/engrave metal.

It uses a high power laser that runs through optic lenses, focused on the material, it'll burn it away. You can adjust the settings of the laser (speed, power and pulses per inch- PPI), to cut or engrave different materials. For wood, you'd want to have a decreased power with increased speed so you don't set it on fire.

Is that class 3 or class 4?

PM incoming.

KZ Kari is taking this project to the next level.

And her KZ is badass!

Will post pics as soon as she's done. Can't wait to see the wife's face when it's finished.

Need to figure out what to seal it with when it's done. Any suggestions?

I used spray polyurethane on boa enclosure... It's a consistent 80 percent humidity and temp from 70-90 degrees in there, along with spraying it down twice a day with a spray bottle... No warping or damage of any kind... Just regular untreated birch wood and spray on polyurethane... I don't imagine you needing anything else.. Stuff is less than 10 bucks a can.. Way better than $60 for a gallon

Edited by Steve Butters

KZ Kari did a fantastic job engraving this and I can't thank her enough!

I picked up some Arm-R-Seal on the suggestion of a good friend who refinishes lots of furniture and wood projects, then, Bowdog offered to seal it in bartop epoxy.

What to do?

The guys at the woodworking store on Bethel said to seal it well or it will continue to dry and crack.

Think I'm gonna go with the epoxy unless someone has a compelling reason I shouldnt.

post-9745-0-07413100-1408494409_thumb.jp

post-9745-0-11752600-1408494666_thumb.jp