Wife looking for first bike, suggestions?

jacobhawkins

Nope still have it, it's turned into a loaner bike - one friend had a minor accident and is waiting on insurance; and my roommate broke some bolts replacing the clutch - so they've used it so they can still go riding. Not the same as their R1's but it's a bike... ;)

I started out on a ninja500 and did the same thing.  I lent it out for a few years.

Nice thing about it, it was super cheap and when I had my inevitable beginner drops, it was like $50 to repair.

Hey I'm willing to learn, I'll try to find one for her to sit on nearby.

Just want you to get her a bike that's right for her.

I made the mistake of buying an 04 Ninja 250 for the wife before letting her sit on one.

It sat for 3 years cuz she hated the seat and riding position.

On the other hand,she sat and rode her Blast and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always liked the Ninja 500 and GS500's for beginners. Plenty of low end power and while rough around the edges they run forever.

I'm not going to try to pretend the 500 was a torque monster, but for someone 115 lbs., it might actually be a bit much for a true beginner.  If she's thrown a leg over a dirt bike, then different story.

The OP stopped by CRP on Saturday, right?  Bring the wife by next Saturday, and she can crash my 100 in the grass all she wants.  I can bring her full leathers, and I always have spare gloves.  If she has boots and a helmet, she's good to go.   There is space behind the paddock off in the grass - just have her keep it straight.  the street tires are shitty in the grass.

FWIW, I'm 220 and a took my Ninja 500 on the highway for a 30-minute commute each way to work and back for three months straight.  I routinely had it at 100 mph easily.  For a lighter rider, it'll be more than enough power AND torque.  It's a VERY comfortable riding position (at 6'2, I found it impossible to tuck my thighs into the tank crease, but a shorter rider wouldn't have that problem, of course).

After riding it for three months and 1300 miles, I sold it for more than I paid for it.  I can also speak to the Buell Blast, which is a fine starter bike, but less applicable if she favors sportbikes.  The Ninja 500 will teach her that power comes from RPMs, and encourage leaning forward a bit, instead of the Blast, which will only teach her to ride like a cruiser (all IMHO).  Either would be fine on power.

I don't know why people buy Ninja 250s instead of a Ninja 500.... It seems like the ONLY thing a 250 can do better is look like a fully-faired modern sportbike.  The largest downside of the 500, of course, is looks.  

I'd suggest Ninja 500.  She might keep it, and if not, it's easy to sell them for what you paid for them.  Twice the displacement of a Ninja 250, and the same price.  

As long as your wife has had some time on a dirt bike I recommend a 500 for all the points listed above. If not then the 250 is a solid choice but even then assuming your wife is sensible, I still would not rule out a 500. Compared to a 250 sure a 500 has more torque but it is predictable and easily controlled. Even for a beginner.

Regarding the blast. Any bike will be dependable if it is taken care of. As long as you find a blast that is not abused I doubt you will have trouble with it. Honestly I enjoy the blast. They're well.... a blast :D

That said. I would not recommend them for any new rider. They are entirely too squirrely. Fit and finish is sub par and is all over just a cheesy bike IMO. Dependable and capable for what it is? Yes. Something I would have my wife ride on? No.

The new KTM 390 :D

"KTM" stands for "know three mechanics." 

...I have nothing against KTMs, but I just made that up, and I think it's funny.  Also, search youtube before buying one.  There is a head-to-head drag race between the EX300 and KTM 390.  Neither rider appears to be doing clutchless up-shifts, but the KTM wins by a depressingly small margin for a bike that should be a lot better.  I would hope the KTM chassis and suspension allow it to carry more corner-speed, but for a new(er) rider, that's probably a non-issue.

How about a 2006 Honda 599? 

Metallic Black, Liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder, DOHC; 4 valves per cylinder cc, 8800ishmiles, 404 lbs.

WatsenDesign micro alloy led Blinkers. Lifetime warranty on the led.

Artfibras fender eliminator

Clear Alternatives smoke lens LED Tail light with integrated turns

Micron Exhaust Titanium

Rizoma sliders

Givi windscreen smoke

CRG Hindsight bar end mirrors

It'sagreatdayto ride seat upgrade

Dunlop Pilot power 2's

I have the original exhaust, mirrors, taillight, and blinkers

$4000

Edited by Gump

How about a 2006 Honda 599?

Metallic Black, Liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder, DOHC; 4 valves per cylinder cc, 8800ishmiles, 404 lbs.

WatsenDesign micro alloy led Blinkers. Lifetime warranty on the led.

Artfibras fender eliminator

Clear Alternatives smoke lens LED Tail light with integrated turns

Micron Exhaust Titanium

Rizoma sliders

Givi windscreen smoke

CRG Hindsight bar end mirrors

It'sagreatdayto ride seat upgrade

Dunlop Pilot power 2's

I have the original exhaust, mirrors, taillight, and blinkers

$4000

A 599 is a lot of bike

I started out on a CBR600RR for my first bike. I loved the power but was pretty uncomfortable while riding. Some people have no problems with the position, while others can't stand it. I rode the bike for a year and a half and just traded it in earlier this year for a KTM 690 Duke. I absolutely love that bike because it's light, agile, and powerful. I won't win any straight line races with a big 600 bike but that bike was built for carving corners. My best advice for her is to go to a few dealers that sit on the bikes she's interested in. Feel what is like to pick it up off the kick stand and let her put her feet on the pegs. Make sure you try different riding positions. She'll know what feels right to her. Only problem is that you really can't tell how comfortable a bike is until you ride it. One last suggestion... Pick up a cheap dirt bike that has a low seat height and low power for her to mess around on in a parking lot. It'll help with her confidence on a bigger bike.

Edited by Georgia

I think the approach of buying something she will 'grow into' could work against you...

The focus should be on buying something utterly forgiving, that produces the least amount of anxiety to ride. Eliminate any negative emotions around riding so she sticks with it.

To that end, even a 500 has quite a bit more power than a 250, and weighs about 100 lbs more.

Get one of the new Kawi or Honda 300s or 250s. They are the perfect beginner bikes and there is little reason to get anything else unless she's ridden some dirt bike.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't joking when I said his wife could ride my 100 all she wants during lunch at CRP.

Hell, then the OP can buy his own 100 to race next year, and the wife can practice on it.  Then she does the MSF course on a 200 or 250 (their bike), and goes out and buys a 500, 650, or whatever else she wants.

I don't think it's any harder to ride a more powerful bike, you just have to be past the point of making major throttle control mistakes.  Enough time on a dirt bike will teach that.  Disk brakes will feel like hitting a brick wall after riding an XR100 though!

I wasn't joking when I said his wife could ride my 100 all she wants during lunch at CRP.

Hell, then the OP can buy his own 100 to race next year, and the wife can practice on it. Then she does the MSF course on a 200 or 250 (their bike), and goes out and buys a 500, 650, or whatever else she wants.

I don't think it's any harder to ride a more powerful bike, you just have to be past the point of making major throttle control mistakes. Enough time on a dirt bike will teach that. Disk brakes will feel like hitting a brick wall after riding an XR100 though!

This....kinda

I know plenty of guys and girls who started out on a 600 supersport. It can be done...but not advisable. A 250 or 500 is a lot more forgiving in terms of mistakes....it's nearly impossible to loop a ninja 250, you have to do it almost on purpose. Vs a 600 supersport where you can loop it accidentally just by getting throttle happy in 1st or 2nd. The braking seems to be more forgiving too....not saying it's night and day but if you panic brake a ninja 500 it won't immediately throw you over the bars.