Wife looking for first bike, suggestions?

jacobhawkins

Get a cheap first bike. Once she is comfortable on it, then she can get a bigger, sportier bike.  I started on a KZ305 and it was not pretty and I was embarrassed but whatever, it was a good decision.  We bought one from a friend for like $300 and then turned around and sold it for $300.  I like the the 250s/300s but I can definitely see wanting more bike in under 2 years but they do hold their resale value. 

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll be showing her this thread so she can start to form her opinion. Just got her permit about 30 minutes ago and we are hoping she gets into the MSF course tomorrow as a walk-in... A guy at work has a gs500 that she could sit on and there are both a ninja 300 and blast at iron pony.

Redkow, I'll bring her to the race on the 4th, she may be in class this weekend on one of their 250s.

Woo hoo! I don't know who's more excited!

I'll argue the best bike to start on would be a ninja 650 or sv650. Both have enough engine to never get old but won't get you into much trouble even pinning the throttle. Great handling bikes and good gas mileage.

I'd disagree. For a 115lb woman, no.

Edited by rawlins87
  • Upvote 1

If you want to try a 300, I will let you rip it down Logan main street on the fall epic ride.

I will be selling it between now and next spring...due to a move.  Bike is perfect with  a intake, full exhaust, and dyno tune and a few other things.

I'd love to pick your brain about your 300.  I've given up riding other peoples bikes, just ask Iassc's Pappa or Hoblick what happens...  

I started on a Nighthawk 250 at the age of 35. I'd never even sat on a bike before. Bought it, learned to ride it, passed my endorsement test first try on it, sold it for what I paid three months later. I'd do just about the exact same today. I was able to gain confidence, learn basics, all while looking super cool. The only thing i would do differently is take the MSF course.

A great starter bike is a 250.  The wife did the state riders class and they had little 250's, all different kinds.  I bought her a 250 Rebel to ride around the house to help her get a handle on dealing with the controls while keeping it up on the rubber, stopping, turning, all that.  As soon as she got her bike license I sold the 250 and got her the V Star she has now.  It was an easy transition from a light weight bike to the heavier Star.  She is 4'10 so I lowered it about 3 inches so she could reach properly.  Smaller women normally need a lighter weight bike, lower to ground so they can reach at stops without being on their tiptoes.   I'd sure consider that when getting your wife  started.

I'll have to agree with the 250/300 as the best starter, only because that's what I started on (2011 CBR250).  Sure, I wanted to buy a more powerful and faster bike but I had never ridden a street bike before.  I applied some common sense to what the possible outcome would be on the street if I panicked  and got myself into trouble.  I figured a 250 is lighter, more manageable and more forgiving.

I had 3900 miles of fun that year and one of the best summer's I've had in a long time.   I never felt overwhelmed or out of control; it truly was a perfect starter bike in my eyes.  I still have it and have wanted to sell it after getting my Ninja 650, then I'd go for a ride and change my mind.  I've gone back and forth several times.

I wasn't joking when I said his wife could ride my 100 all she wants during lunch at CRP.

Hell, then the OP can buy his own 100 to race next year, and the wife can practice on it.  Then she does the MSF course on a 200 or 250 (their bike), and goes out and buys a 500, 650, or whatever else she wants.

I don't think it's any harder to ride a more powerful bike, you just have to be past the point of making major throttle control mistakes.  Enough time on a dirt bike will teach that.  Disk brakes will feel like hitting a brick wall after riding an XR100 though!

Trying to get her down this weekend...  Seems like a great opportunity for her to get on something with two wheels in a low stress environment.  She has jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, no leathers if you think that'd be necessary.  I'll let you know for sure if she will come before Saturday.  Thank you for the offer to get her a chance on something.

Shoot...

and the offer to ride it stands.

You're experience when you bought it?  Riding style/what you do with it?  Your approximate size?  What appealed to you about it and what are you leaning away from now?  Do you think it would be reasonable for a person with zero experience to start on?

Trying to get her down this weekend...  Seems like a great opportunity for her to get on something with two wheels in a low stress environment.  She has jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, no leathers if you think that'd be necessary.  I'll let you know for sure if she will come before Saturday.  Thank you for the offer to get her a chance on something.

Low stress environment?

Maybe your girls idea of low stress is completely different than any girl Ive ever known in my lifes idea of low stress? Bringing her to the track to hop on a bike shes never seen in front of 60+ guys dressed in race gear shes never met that will all be staring.......if that doesnt say stress I dont know what does.  

• Upvote 1

She can ride in th field where no one is watching, or spin some laps during lunch.

I have an old 2-piece suit she can borrow. My sister-in-law can't be more than 120, and she has worn it.

This brings back the memories of my wife falling a few times on her old Rebel....but it was at such a low speed and in the grass she never as much as got a bruise.  A couple were almost like that old guy on Laugh-In who was riding that little tricycle, slowly falling over.