Wife looking for first bike, suggestions?

jacobhawkins

It's really hard to fault the EX500 as a first bike that could be your forever bike. 

The biggest issue they face these days is that some people have pristine examples from 2007 and expect $3000 for them.  To me, that's completely nuts.  There are just so many better bikes to be had at that price.  So that's not really a criticism of the EX500, as much as a fluctuation in the market that makes them less valuable (IMHO).

You can't (cheaply) do much to fix the noodle chassis, but beyond that, they can be made to handle quite well for what they are.  Great comfortable street bikes for a smaller rider.

Check out www.ex-500.com if you need parts (or buyers).  The site has a LOT of new riders who don't know what they're talking about, but there are also a few crusty veterans who know their stuff inside and out.

That's a clean un-molested bike.  No aftermarket signals or any of that stuff (I'm guilty of blinging mine up a bit with that garbage...)

also, what year is hers?  I know the black grab-rail denotes that it's post 2001(?), but I'm not confident on that year.  Mine was a '97, and they had body-colored grab-rails back then.

Edited by redkow97