Taking stock of my 1st year riding - the accidents.

Phreon

Since your pointing out books to read - IMHO Nick Ienatch's book is the best in the biz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1893618072/ref=s9_simh_bw_p14_d2_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=1MBXT12JKKATYH17GVR4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1916116602&pf_rd_i=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884313469/ref=s9_simh_bw_p14_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=1MBXT12JKKATYH17GVR4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1916116602&pf_rd_i=283155

Phreon,

Metzler 880s are a cruiser tire, and not really a sporty tire. Probly not a good idea to go play sport riding on those donuts. Oversized? That will screw with handling big time to the negative. 

--4000 miles is like zero experience. Since you are a pilot, consider riding is like learning to fly, you need reps while riding with good technique so you can develop correct response by instinct when needed because its buried in your firmware in your brain. That takes lots of miles. 

Edited by mello dude

Agree. 1 oil change worth of riding is not much experience. I started in the dirt as a kid before i got on the street and I also didn't ride at all between age 18 and 26 while I was busy being an idiot. I might have 70k miles experience on the street between all the bikes I've owned and idk how many hours in the dirt before that and I'd only describe myself as an adept rider....

Oh, I don't think I'm experienced by any means, but I'm pretty happy with that start. I've been putting off getting to work on the the 750 since my garage is detached and horrible in the dead of summer. It has been sitting in there a while - I cranked her over the other day and despite the tumble, she sounded good.  

I just got a little shook by the accidents, but I just can't see quitting as an option. I think it has driven me to consider amping up the training, even if it's self training. I also should look more carefully at my gear. I think I have a good start with the Joe Rocket Comet Jacket, full face helmet, leather gloves, and leather (jump) boots, but I need to look at my legs better. I have a pair of sliders jeans, but they're damned hot in the summer and still offer no impact protection. My general motorcycling budget needs to include a bigger percentage for safety gear.  So far I've been lucky, neither exit rashed through my jeans, but this last one came really close to breaking my leg.  I'm still sore with a super bruised, possibly microfractured tibia and sore wrist. 

Thanks for the links, I'll check out those books. I don't see wanting to be a street racer, but yes, swooping through the bends is fantastic. Even on the Vulcan 500.  I'm not in a rush to get to the bigger bike; the Vulcan still has plenty to teach me.   Though I did sit on an FZ07 last week - yeah, OMG.

I can't imagine wasting my life staring at the boob toob, wondering "what if".  I'd rather be out there.

Doug

Edited by Phreon

Currently, I have the following on order:

Ride Hard, Ride Smart: Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists

The Upper Half of the Motorcycle: On the Unity of Rider and Machine - got that one from and ADV rider.

Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track

I might look at the other books later, but the above is plenty of reading.  Also re-watched most of Twist of the Wrist II last night. Yeah, I've experienced moments of smooth zen, but on the balance still make plenty of dumb mistakes like turning in too early, being lazy on the turn in, being too abrupt with the throttle.   My lane departure on the Nighthawk was pretty much a perfect example of what not to do. Need to get on the machine more and just do it.

Taking a dirt class has been on my bucket list too.

Doug

Taking a dirt class has been on my bucket list too.

Doug

Dirt is a great teacher - not for everything you need on the street, but it does some very very important things for you, and quite quickly - the first of which is removing your tendency to target-fixate. On the trails, it's something you'll break as a habit very quickly because if you look at the stuff you're trying to avoid, you'll be hitting trees and rocks all day long. The eye will start to learn to look where you want to be, not where you don't, and that's a live-saver when things go badly.

The other thing, the intangible that is seldom talked about but hyper-important to street riders and dirt riders know instinctively, is how to ride and save the bike on limited or no traction, and most importantly how to crash. Yes, that's a skill, and there is an art to coming off the bike smoothly and without going tense and fighting the crash. And, it teaches you how to get to the edge of that traction without freaking out.

All invaluable for an experienced rider.

I tell every new rider to spend a few months on a dirt bike before getting on the street, it's a forgiving place to learn and fun as hell. It's in fact, quite frustrating, that people don't take advantage of it more often because there's it's such a fun way to get your skill built up.

• Upvote 1