2015 chevy colorado, gmc caynon

speedytriple

Average, I don't usually take the highway unless it's a long trip with the trailer. I run the 3.55 gears but honestly there shouldn't be a 4-5 mpg difference with gearing.

Alot of that can be attributed to topography and how the commute is, I have alot of hills in mine, everyone has different results.

I do wish I got better MPG towing the enclosed trailer, its just so tall it sucks up any mpg. But its also not mine and I can use it whenever so meh... 

This is all a meaningless debate unless we're all using our truck for the same thing...

I would like to see a true "light" truck that gets 25 mpg or better, burning gasoline.  If that means 2wd and somewhat strange looks for the sake of aerodynamics, then so be it...  A small diesel option would likely achieve the same economy in a 4x4 model, but at a premium price.

All that said, I am not one who needs or wants a full-sized truck.  They're extremely nice, but I wouldn't be able to rationalize the cost of owning one unless I were using it to plow a parking lot or tow something for work.

Alot of that can be attributed to topography and how the commute is, I have alot of hills in mine, everyone has different results.

I do wish I got better MPG towing the enclosed trailer, its just so tall it sucks up any mpg. But its also not mine and I can use it whenever so meh... 

I agree, I live in SE Ohio and it is hilly here. I also make sure to drive it normal and keep out of the turbos. The trip to putnam we had my 6x14 enclosed trailer with 3 bikes, gas, generator and all our crap and got 13.5. I was happy for as heavy as we were.

probably not the thread to bring it up, but I'm considering putting a hitch on the corolla.  I get a legitimate 36 mpg average under normal use conditions.  Even if my economy drops 50% with a small trailer and 1 real bike or 2 minis, that's acceptable for as infrequently as I actually do it...

Ryan tows his bike around with his saturn. There are very economical ways to get bikes to the track, but I find it nice to not need to unload/reload everything every track day. Also the ability to sleep in the trailer with a heater on it pretty legit as well. 

I have the ecoboost and normally average 16ish which seems to be the norm on the f150 forums. I didnt buy it for MPG though, I put a tow tune on and it makes crazy tq for a gas motor. Use it to tow the enclosed trailer or my car on an open trailer, would like to pick up a toy hauler in the next year or two as well. 

On the highway or average? I have never taken it on the highway without towing something.

I also have the max tow package with 3.73 gears. 

We have a '13 F150 w/ EB and max tow...we can get 17-18 with the performance tune.  Usually get about high 7's-8 towing on the tow tune with our Work and Play 21UL toy hauler on even terrain.

Everything I've read and seen says the max tow is worse mpg wise due to gearing.  I've seen non-max F150's pulling shit I know is over the stated rating but I didn't want to take a chance.

I am trying something new with my F250(not to thread jack but come on, it's winter).  Normally I run a tow tune with my summer wheels/tires and towing 1-2 weekends a month from April to Nov, then just keep the tow tune for the winter months after recalibrating for stock wheels/tires.

This month and possibly longer I am going to run a canned tune that was preloaded on my tuner vs. a custom tune.  I don't like to run a hot tune like my street or hott street during the cold months, but wanted just a tad more than my custom tow.

I was averaging right around 15-16 with my summer wheels/tires, lifted, and custom tow tune, really hoping to up that even with winter fuel blends.  Unless I am spending 30 minutes warming my truck up before work, so hopefully the block heater does it's job again this winter.

We have a '13 F150 w/ EB and max tow...we can get 17-18 with the performance tune.  Usually get about high 7's-8 towing on the tow tune with our Work and Play 21UL toy hauler on even terrain.

Everything I've read and seen says the max tow is worse mpg wise due to gearing.  I've seen non-max F150's pulling shit I know is over the stated rating but I didn't want to take a chance.

Way to void your warranty.

What tuner is that? 

I get roughly 9 towing an 18ft enclosed that it pretty freaking tall. I have a 5 star tune and leave it on most of the time.

Way to void your warranty.

Dealers have a hard time seeing that it was tuned if you throw your stock one back on before going to the dealer. The power difference is night and day.

Dealers have a hard time seeing that it was tuned if you throw your stock one back on before going to the dealer. The power difference is night and day.

They say that the dealer can tell if it has been flashed, it keep track of the number of times it has bees switched from one tune to another not just what tune is on it at the time you take it in. 

There was some procedure to go through I just can't remember what it was. A guy blew a head gasket running 25 lbs of boost and got his engine warrantied.

The tow tunes are pretty conservative/ low risk but I guess anything can happen.

Mid sized diesel with a split shifting rear end would be sweet. Or two speed rear end for any truck would be sweet. Since gearing makes the single most biggest difference for mpg and torque, I'm not sure why they don't do that. It wouldn't matter if it was stick or automatic.