CAC with Valkyrie Defense Group - Full Review

madcat6183

Well, as I stated earlier, everyone has their own style of shooting and likes and dislikes on stances, positions, weapons, and their systems. There is NO perfect answer for any of those. What fits my hand nicely might be too large or small for yours. What helps me keep my group tight may make your look like a shotgun blast. I had no issue with the fit of either LC9 or the s. Are there things that Ruger could improve on in their design...sure. But for an EDC piece, it works for me very nicely. All my holsters for it have a spare mag pouch and I have an additional mag in its own belt pouch. Someone mentioned that they would like the grip to be larger and have adapters like the XDs has and at first I thought yeah...that would be great. But then I realized that the LC9s is a very thin and easy concealable gun and to do that would make it fatter than it needs to be. Is it a gun that I would use to daily target shoot with....NO....it is a gun that I use to protect my life with.  I shoot it often enough to stay proficient with. I did feel that they could eliminate the external safety and add a backstrap safety, but it would also add weight to the gun.  So, again, nothing is perfect. Just have to find the one that works for you and that you can live with.

Good glad it works for ya.  Just making an observation of my feelings on it, not every gun is for everyone that's for sure. 

Back strap safety?  No, those shouldn't even be allowed on guns, especially not ones you trust your life to.  But that's just my feelings. 

• Upvote 1

Good glad it works for ya.  Just making an observation of my feelings on it, not every gun is for everyone that's for sure. 

Back strap safety?  No, those shouldn't even be allowed on guns, especially not ones you trust your life to.  But that's just my feelings. 

Not sure why you would say that...Colt 1911 45 has it and many many versions and re-makes of it have it. Like the crimson trace, if you grab the gun to shoot it, it is already activated unlike the LC9 & s & the M&P Shield which have a physical safety which one must switch on or off. In a panic situation it could be easily forgotten and the delay in having to turn it off might make the difference in you coming out alive. One of the things I do like about the XDs45. I am waiting for TruGlo to make the brite sights for the XDs and the S&W M&P 9 Shield. They are fantastic.

XDs45

Speaking of, I've had a fascination with that pistol since it came out. I owned a series of 1911s 20 years ago and got pretty good with my Colt Mk IV Combat Elite, until I traded out of the .45 round for more capacity. But I still enjoy that round and wouldn't mind a target/home defense pistol that'll also conceal in cooler clothes. What are your impressions of the XDs45? Much overlap with a 92FS or an LCP?

3/8" longer and about 4.5 oz. heaver than the LC9s and 2 rounds fewer capacity with a lot more recoil than the LC9s....but i like a 45 !  Doesn't matter as much as to shot placement when you are putting that big 230 grain black talon out the end. Anything in the center mass area is going to wreck havac on that body. As I remember hearing a women once saying….it is hard not to bleed a lot out of a almost ½” hole.

I keep the Xds mostly at home with an occaisional concealed carry. If and when I can get the truglo brite sights on it, I might carry it more.  I keep the S&W M&P Shield 9 at my place of work for protection on the premises.  The XDs comes with a fiber optic front and plain white dot rear. Not real effective in low light situtations.  I do have the crimison trace in it.

I actually find it a pleasure to shoot and find that my groups are sometimes much better than I would have thought possible with that big of a caliber and that short of a barrel (3.3”).  Overall, I like it and the LC9s much better than the S&W M&P Shield 9

I just dont believe I would actively carry a gun with a backstrap safety, due to possibly being in a position where I may not have full control and need the gun to fire.  That's why my 1911 is simply a safe gun just to own and shoot with here and there.  Granted it's loaded with HP's and ready to go it would still be one of my last guns to choose from.

As for the shield and other guns with a manual safety, I agree, I hate it.  If it was my choice I wouldn't own a shield with one, but they didn't have them at the time I bought it.  Granted that will change after the holidays and I get one without it and sell mine or move it to another safe in the house.

• 2 months later...

Stopping Power.....Yeah, I guess everyone has bought into that philosophy at some point and I will even admit that I find myself falling back into that thought process once in awhile.  It isn’t the size of the gun/ammo that puts the perp down, but the shot placement.  You can put 6-7 rounds of 45 talons into a persons midsection and they can still end up killing you. Unless you hit the vital organs or major arteries/veins  it don’t matter what caliber pistol you have.  Perfect example is a State Patrol officer putting six  357 Magnums point blank into a heavy set fellow (fat) and the guy shooting one 22 magnum at the officer hitting him in the shoulder patch which then went into him between his armor and severed a major artery and the cop bleed out at the scene . 22 won over 357 Magnum.  

Been working on the Home Defense Concepts Course for a little while now. I'm liking the look of things so far.

Too early for me to commit to anything, but I'll be watching as these classes form and dates are being decided. I had a great time at CAC and still go over the material in my head all the time.

Been working on the Home Defense Concepts Course for a little while now. I'm liking the look of things so far.

Can you call/text me? Have some questions on courses, but am not on FB anymore. Can't PM on here either.

Dayton area code

"I miss America"