Allergies

OsuMj

How do you deal with them? I've been having sneeze attacks that sometimes go 10 sneezes in a row. I can't imagine how ridiculous I look when sneezing in my helmet as my reflex to cover my mouth kicks in lol. I've had no luck with allergy meds bc they either put me right to sleep or give me insomnia. Anyone else struggle with this toward the end of riding season? What do you do to control your allergies in general or just for rides?

Mine have been brutal this season. If I even look at a dog or cat my face just explodes, which really sucks because I love dogs and cats.  It seems allergy meds to little to help but I haven't tried the shots yet. I'm thinking about just saying fuck it and having my sinuses burned out. My mom had it done years ago and she hasn't had an issue since. 

Mine are not that bad. I just use OTC meds.

I have wild swings in my sleep patterns with OTC meds.  Last night I didn't fall asleep until 6:30am, so this morning.  Other meds I've tried make me fall asleep instantly, which isn't conducive to having a job, or a life in general.  I don't know if its every med that does this or just happens to be the ones I tried

I've found all my environmental allergies can be kept at bay by limiting sugar and drinking plenty of water. I keep a can of sailen spray with me at all times to flush my nose out and that all I do.

I think I need to try the flushing the nose thing. 

Mine have been brutal this season. If I even look at a dog or cat my face just explodes, which really sucks because I love dogs and cats.  It seems allergy meds to little to help but I haven't tried the shots yet. I'm thinking about just saying fuck it and having my sinuses burned out. My mom had it done years ago and she hasn't had an issue since. 

That sounds crazy and unpleasant!!

Fluticisone is what my physician ordered for me. My allergies were so bad that I'd have to leave work, because I couldn't see through my watery eyes. It's a steroid nasal spray that I would use twice a day for as long as the symptoms persisted. About 30 days in, I didn't need to use it anymore. Every now and then I need a "booster", so I just keep a bottle in the medicine cabinet.

Easy. :)

^ That's what my doctor gave me too.  I've been symptom treating for a while with nasal decongestant, but my sinus irritation lead to an uncontrollable cough, so I ended up with the nose spray and an inhaler - woo. Anyway, the spray helped for about 10 days then that was it.

Write this down and then ask your doctor.....QNASL....

I went through the battery of tests....allergic to tree pollen, dogs (have two), cats (satan's spawn), ragweed, and some other crap I can't remember. Spring and fall were miserable to the point of my eyes swelling shut after a lovely spring ride. I was given the choice of shots for the rest of my life, some accelerated shot deal, or this nasil mist. Chose the QNASL mist. You don't suck it in like a line of coke, just spray it and it does the job each morning. It isn't cheap....like $80/month, but I was given a coupon for $50 lifetime/month (my insurance sucks, ymmv). I swear baby Jesus makes this stuff himself. 100% cured. I feel like I haven't really even had a cold since I started it two years ago.

QNASL FTW!!

Edit: no side effects...no drowsy, no accelerated heart rate, no nose bleeds....

Edited by C-bus

Write this down and then ask your doctor.....QNASL....

I went through the battery of tests....allergic to tree pollen, dogs (have two), cats (satan's spawn), ragweed, and some other crap I can't remember. Spring and fall were miserable to the point of my eyes swelling shut after a lovely spring ride. I was given the choice of shots for the rest of my life, some accelerated shot deal, or this nasil mist. Chose the QNASL mist. You don't suck it in like a line of coke, just spray it and it does the job each morning. It isn't cheap....like $80/month, but I was given a coupon for $50 lifetime/month (my insurance sucks, ymmv). I swear baby Jesus makes this stuff himself. 100% cured. I feel like I haven't really even had a cold since I started it two years ago.

QNASL FTW!!

Edit: no side effects...no drowsy, no accelerated heart rate, no nose bleeds....

Qnasl doesn't seem to be doing ANYTHING for me, beyond spraying 134a up my nose (That's the propellant in it, the same as refrigerant!)

I miss my Omnaris.  I'm going to have to pay what they want for it, now that their "copay card" won't take any off the price of it anymore.

Have you been able to ID the allergy? I did shots and it really helped - I guess it was the "accelerated" kind C-bus mentioned. Kept it up for a few years and now all gone. I used to have a few bad days a season and the meds would knock that out. Now I don't even have that.

If you take up a coke habit and really devote your life to it you'll become a junkie clearly, however rehab will cure that..... Anyhow in the course of becoming a junkie you will also destroy all the allergen receptors, likely a diveated septum too but really who needs that? No allergen receptors or septum equals no more allergic reactions, ever. Plus the coke habit will likely lead to new friendships, non stop energy, incredibly freaky sex and weight loss. Win win really

Ive tried a bunch of allergy medicines, and the nasal sprays work the best for me. I always run a chin curtain in my helmet now, and have noticed it helps me a bunch especially when passing people mowing their lawn. The more air tight the helmet, the better imo.

I think I'm just going to shove tissues in my nose while i ride :D

Have you been able to ID the allergy? I did shots and it really helped - I guess it was the "accelerated" kind C-bus mentioned. Kept it up for a few years and now all gone. I used to have a few bad days a season and the meds would knock that out. Now I don't even have that.

I haven't had the allergies officially identified, but I know that I have some reaction during the month in the fall when everyone has allergy problems, dust from shredding paper, and contact with cats all get me.  I don't personally own cats, but there are some cats in my living spac, but I don't touch them and that helps.  I also run a hepa filter and a high micro-particle rated filter on the furnace.

I think I'm just going to shove tissues in my nose while i ride :D

I haven't had the allergies officially identified, but I know that I have some reaction during the month in the fall when everyone has allergy problems, dust from shredding paper, and contact with cats all get me.  I don't personally own cats, but there are some cats in my living spac, but I don't touch them and that helps.  I also run a hepa filter and a high micro-particle rated filter on the furnace.

Tampons might work better. :)

Tests show I have no allergies. But I don't know what the heck was outside this morning, but I couldn't stop sneezing. No clue...

btw, supposedly we can get allergies that we didn't have before, as we grow older. Dunno about that one either.

Tests show I have no allergies. But I don't know what the heck was outside this morning, but I couldn't stop sneezing. No clue...

btw, supposedly we can get allergies that we didn't have before, as we grow older. Dunno about that one either.

This is definitely true.  I didn't have allergies to anything until I moved to the city.  I developed the cat and seasonal allergies sometime after I turned 19.

This is definitely true.  I didn't have allergies to anything until I moved to the city.  I developed the cat and seasonal allergies sometime after I turned 19.

I have amazingly had most my allergies go away as I have gotten older, I was the absolute worst in late Summer/Fall as a kid and young adult. Now I am a bit allergic to the city overall, but the Wifey says I need to get over it. :(