My First Black Friday - Minor but I'm Happy

JohnG

So, I've never been shopping on Black Friday, ever.  But, I've got some time on my hands lately and there was a plan in my head.  Really only one thing that I was after so this is no warrior story like some of you I'm sure have.

I saw that Cabela's had a Nikon Prostaff scope for 22 lr that I've been wanting to hang on a new squirrel gun build.  $99 price tag and it came packaged with 333 rounds of hollow point ammo.  It was stupidly simple and took longer to drive there than make the purchase.  Walked in, found display, picked up item, paid and home by 10 a.m.  No crowd, no fuss.

Now to find that Ruger M77....   

So, what's your Black Friday Story?

When my first grandson was about 4 years old I took him to the mall alone for new shoes and boots on Black Friday.  Finally found a parking place in a far corner and we walked hand in hand in to a shoe store, it was very hard to walk thru the mall crowd with him.  After we got the shoes and boots we walked to the door and I then had to carry him back to the car.  That was the first and last time I've ever shopped on Black Friday, he is 41 now.

I bought so much stuff this year. Tea kettle for $7. Men's hair clipper kit for $8, two dog beds $8 each, fleece lined leggings <$3 each, misc clothing, yarn, a comforter/pillow set for $30, uhhh other stuff I can't remember lol. Everyone I encountered was SO nice with exception to one crazy person who flew around a blind corner in the parking lot and almost hit me. My cousin thought the lady was screaming at me from inside her car, but I'm sure she was just yelling "I'm so sorry for driving like an idiot, I suck! Sorry again!" (Denial bc I won't let that lady ruin my day :])

• Upvote 1

I always seem to end up going out in Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I've never had a problem with any of the crowds. The deals are always good. I think total I've saved somewhere like 70% combined on everything I've bought.

I worked Friday and went out on my way home, so the morning crowds out for the crazy deals were already gone.

I went to some department store with my mother when I was 20 or 21.  I agreed to go because I was afraid she would get hurt if I didn't.

We got there before the doors were unlocked, and there was a line 200 yards long that spanned across the front of the building, then curled around a 'corner' down along one edge of the parking lot. 

Everyone was relatively orderly ...until the doors unlocked, and the line collapsed into a stampede of assholes.  I've seen more common courtesy demonstrated in mosh pits.   We did get one of the stupid leather jackets my mom was trying to snag for my brother, and probably some other stuff I just don't remember, but I learned a valuable lesson that morning:  I don't want to be around people who need a deal that badly.

The key is getting there after the doors open... I planned all of my stores for about 45 minutes to an hour after they opened.  I didn't miss out on any deals that I was looking for and I didn't have to deal with the crazies who were there all night.

Here's more of my list that I remember now :) : crochet scarves for $4 each, couch pet cover for $8, plush fuzzy blanket for $6, nice phone gloves for $12 ... I had a good year :D