Car recycle or scrap metal options

mojocho

My parents have a beat up old '95 mustang.  It runs and drives fine, but it is pretty ugly with paint peeling and some body damage.  I am going to get rid of it for since it is a second car and they don't need it anymore.  I don't want them spending the money on tags and insurance.

Anyone know the easiest option to get rid of it? I was thinking of trying a scrap metal yard/junk yard.  The car is in north side of Columbus.  I found one but they were offering $175 includes picking it up. Found another place in Mansfield that offered $300, but I'd have to drive it there.

I was hoping to get at least $500 but maybe I should take it to Mansfield.  I don't want the hassle of selling it since the title is in my parents name and the car is a couple hours away from me.  I don't really want to take the car back with me either and sell it myself.

Anyone have experiences on scrap prices or other quick and easy options.  

I know you don't want to sell it but For $500 I could be very interested depending on some details about it. I've got a car trailer I can borrow to get it etc..

Edited by Bad324

OK sounds like the place in Mansfield is about average. My parents have the title so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bad, I'll be at my parents on Monday. I'll send you pictures and get the mileage. Believe me though it's in rough shape cosmetically. I'll drive it and let you know how it runs too. It's a basic v6 auto in black. Custom stripes and dents from what looks like a yellow pole. Told my mom she should stick to making sandwiches.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Edited by mojocho
  • Upvote 1

If it's cut into a few pieces, they'll take it without title. Not that you want to mess with it.

I'd just have the owner sign the title and put it for sale for $500. Be a good son, broker the calls. Forget that sign in front of a notary biz. No one does that anymore unless we're talking real value or the buyer doesn't know anyone..

Edited by Gump

Yeah man, you have a running and driving car, doesn't matter what the hell it looks like, people are always looking for super cheap transportation. I'd throw it on craigslist or your front yard for $600 and bet it'd be gone in a couple days max.

You could really help someone out in need selling it for well under 1K...

Thanks for the comments. My parents are old, not internet savvy, and don't speak fluent English. So I don't want them to deal with all the hassle that you and I take as normal course of life in dealing with schmucks tire kickers. Second, I'm in the midst of selling their house from 2 hours away and selling ours as well. Plus I work 70 hours a week and have two kids with active lives. Also I need to get their house cleaned up from the over 40 years of hording. That's why I don't have time to deal with it. I have less time than money at this point. If someone here wants to take for $400 and flip it, coolio.

Bubba, got your PM. I'll contact them once I for pictures and details on Monday. The!