why are supermotos so expensive?

redkow97

Or rather, why are supermoto wheels so damn expensive?

Dirt bikes seem somewhat overpriced for the on-road performance they offer, but I understand that they're built for use beyond that.  Plus if you hunt around enough, you can find older dirt bikes in good condition for reasonable amounts of money (definitely under $2k)

so with that said, the $700-$900 wheels become the major obstacle to building one.

I guess my ultimate goal is also important here:

I want EX250 top-speed (i.e. the ability to cruise at 75 mph if I ride to work), but I want a 275 lbs. (or less) package.  I guess I have a mild preference for a supermoto style frame as well, but just for wheelies :p

I have considered the following routes:

- try to make a cheap EX250 lose 100 lbs. (probably not possible, but definitely cheap)

- try to gear a 450 for highway speeds

- try to find a DRZ400 that is beat up, and not 6,000 goddamn dollars...

- Buy an older dirt chassis (or enduro) and attempt to stuff an EX250 (or some other) engine into it. (this idea is appealing because the older enduros already have streetable titles, signals, etc.)

This is all mental masturbation at this point.  I don't have funds set aside for this, but I'd probably trade the Katana (maybe plus cash) for something that fits my criteria.

I think i'm chasing a unicorn here, but anything is possible with enough money and engineering.  Are there other routes I'm not considering?

if you're ONLY going to use the bike on road, can't you ghetto rig some regular cheap sportbike wheels on a dirty bike and street title it?

I would want to play with it at the track too.  would probably have 2 sets of gearing; one for highway use, and one for hooligan kart track use.

But that does indeed cut down on the costs, and it is something I have considered.  using the EX250 wheels (maybe even the forks) was a thought, but at that point, i'm basically taking a dirt bike and just putting all the EX250 street parts onto that frame/engine.

If I didn't say it in my first post, a front disk brake is also (almost) a must-have.  I get nervous about stopping from highway speeds on drums alone.

I recently bought a beat up DRZ. Went through and changed all the fluids, put on new plastic, and a Clarke fuel tank. It is ready to go. I would like to buy a set of supermoto wheels to switch back and forth. However, the supermoto wheels do seem overpriced.

The ktm duke 390 is scheduled to be here in march.

300lbs

44hp

Dirtbike ergo's

4999.99 msrp.

Otherwise: you're looking for what all the kids on SMJ are looking for... The ultimate do-it-all non-existent motorcycle.

A 450 MX bike does not make for an easy street bike. And a highway comfortable supermoto doesn't make a good kart track bike. And drz's suck at life. They're great bikes, but just terds in every way.

Otherwise: you're looking for what all the kids on SMJ are looking for... The ultimate do-it-all non-existent motorcycle.

this is what i'm afraid of.  I want a 250 dirt frame with a CBR250 engine.  Maybe that's a viable project, but it won't be cheap :-/

building your own wheels is not a horrible project, but the spokes are very expensive for some reason.

Wheels are expensive.

DNA brand wheels are decent and affordable

From there warp9 is reasonable still. And proven

Excel/talon is the standard for racing

Marchesini makes mag wheels, pretty expensive at 2500ish, benefits: tubeless.

There's some other brands too, but I consider alpina to be cream of the crop. The carbon matrix rim set is 3300. That's without a brake setup.

Don't forget the front brake, a decent one will run $1000+

• Upvote 1

Owning and riding motorcycles in general can be expensive. :)

I was never into bikes as a kid.  I thought "crotch rockets" were really dumb, actually.  I became interested in bikes when I was 21.  I sublet my room to a guy who bought a Honda Hawk for $600.  I looked up the acceleration specs, and compared to cars, even a 20 yr old 650 twin is fast as fuck.

That is what I have always loved about bikes - they ARE cheap.  Relatively speaking.

Thank you, Aaron, for the wheel info though.  That is all stuff I did not know, and it's a solid starting point for any future projects.

I agree about bikes are cheap compared to cars.

A Hyundai elantra now runs 30,000 with a few options.

The sonata is a 40,000 car. And it's a Hyundai!

People scoff at me when I have to fess up to owning a Ducati... Like I'm rich or something. I paid more for my used 10 year old 180,000 mile truck than I did a brand new Ducati!

And those are slow/not good performing vehicles. I'd hate to know what msrp is on anything that handles/accelerates decent.

I agree about bikes are cheap compared to cars.

A Hyundai elantra now runs 30,000 with a few options.

The sonata is a 40,000 car. And it's a Hyundai!

People scoff at me when I have to fess up to owning a Ducati... Like I'm rich or something. I paid more for my used 10 year old 180,000 mile truck than I did a brand new Ducati!

And those are slow/not good performing vehicles. I'd hate to know what msrp is on anything that handles/accelerates decent.

I agree in principle but those hyundai prices are off a little.

A $30K Elentra? Try $25k for best model with the big option pack.

Sonata is $34K for the best non hybrid one.

Both of which are great cars. Especially the Sonata.

I agree in principle but those hyundai prices are off a little.

A $30K Elentra? Try $25k for best model with the big option pack.

Sonata is $34K for the best non hybrid one.

Both of which are great cars. Especially the Sonata.

I was rounding those numbers, but yes same difference. It's still an economy car from a lower end brand (and I know Hyundai is doing better, I currently work for a Hyundai dealer and a Kia dealer for 7 years before here) for twice the price of a luxury motorcycle. It's insane!

A little SM wheel advise: I ran Warp 9 my first year and my cr500 would eat the rear bearings out every 4-5 weekend races. A strong cr500 is stronger/faster than most SM put higher loads on bearings. Excel/talon wheels have been working out great....I paid 500.00 for the pair because some dummy didn't tighten up brake rotor bolts and broke the ears off, but it was a fairly easy fix welding/fab. Once you had both Excel and Warp9 bearings out you'll see why they hold up better and are worth the extra 800.00 if running on a higher HP Motard but Warp9 wheel may work great on a slower Motard's.......

The new Husky 710. If you need more raw power in a supermoto than what it delivers you are insane

AKA KTM lol. and yes those are nasty.  Aprilia has some sick new ones coming out.  I believe Team USA rode the prototypes in the the Supermoto Des Nations this year.

AKA KTM lol. and yes those are nasty. Aprilia has some sick new ones coming out. I believe Team USA rode the prototypes in the the Supermoto Des Nations this year.

They did, but I havnt heard anymore news about them. The prototypes they had were very similar to the last generation. No specs were released. I'm hopeful though.

I wouldn't buy an aprilia SXV as a street bike though.

The new husky 701 isn't supposed to be out till 2016 or so and may not make it to the states (emissions reasons.) besides, it is just a 690smc and I'm not sure it's even an smc-r model.

Pulled from the WR forum. What I love about this bike is the maint intervals. 26k valve checks, 3k oil changes. Engine is based on the 08 r1 engine.

Removal of passenger footpegs($0): -27.1oz

Replacement of muffler, header, factory heatsheilds, EXUP valve/servo/wiring with FMF muffler, header, and one of the fuel programmers($800-$1000): -71oz

Removal of airbox flapper($0): -9.2oz

Replacement of stock battery with www.voltphreaks.com/ssl/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=56&osCsid=ca44e0d49ab5f75fdbb665ac71934582" class="postlink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">VoltPhreaks lightweight battery($480) or Gybe SuperB 230($??): -36oz(voltphreaks)to -56oz(Gybe)

Removal of kickstand saftey switch and wiring($0): -4oz

Removal of Air Injection System($0): -17oz

Replacement of rear tail light/blinkers with DRZ setup ($100): -27.9oz

Replacement of rear sprocket with Renthal Ultralight sprocket ($70): -19.0oz

Replacement of factory US spec headlight and shroud with Japanese spec headlight and shroud ($110): -7.6oz

Removal of front reflectors ($0): -3.2oz

Replacement of stock front tire with Michelin Cross AC10 80/120-21: -15.0oz

Replacement of stock rear tire with Michelin Cross AC10 100/100-18: -16.0oz

Total weight loss possible is 253.0oz to 273.0oz (15.8lbs to 17.1lbs), however if typical protective items are added, the weight savings are significantly less.

Flatland Racing Skidplate(includes removal of white plastic guards[-3.0oz]): +51.6oz

Zeta Armored handguards with XC flashers(includes weight savings of removal of stock front flashers[-12.7oz]): +17.4oz

Bulletproof Designs Radiator guard(includes removal of factory fins[-3.7oz]): +10.1oz

Therefor this adds 79.1oz, reducing weight savings to 173.9oz to 193.9oz (10.8lbs to 12.1lbs)

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

that's a lot of lost stuff (and money) for 15 lbs.  I'd be better off not topping off the tank.

Still, it looks like the closest thing to what I consider ideal.   I would see about running a much smaller battery and not relying on electric start.  If the fuel pump has enough power to prime the engine, bump-starting a fuel-injected 250 single should not be difficult...