Running natural gas into attached garage?

madcat6183

Okay, so some things are changing and I believe I'm going to be going to work for myself starting after the twins are born.  Oh yeah, I'll start a new post on that but most probably know, we're having twins in June/July. 

With that said, the new profession will have me doing some work in the garage which is a 2 car, normal sized, attached, insulated style garage. 

I've been running an electric heater out there 1500w but it along with my F250's block heater on a timer keeps tripping breakers about every 2-3 days, and can't keep up with the cold temps to a temp I desire.  Better than 32deg but not 55deg like I want. 

I plan to add more insulation in the cieling, and probably getting the walls drywalled(Bowdog cough cough) this summer while we're off with the newbies.

Anyways, I want to add natural gas heat out there, a vent free heater that is.  We only park 1 car in there, and then the 5th wheel hitch and golfcart in the winter months and my summer wheels/tires. 

Our current natural gas setup is on the other side of the house, and has a cap and switch already on the end that I would be tapping into, it's all iron pipe, no flex pipe.  Is there anything specifically I need to do in order to run some pipe to the crawlspace then through the wall to the garage and then feed to where I want the heater?

Is this something I just should pay someone to do next fall?  I'm trying to stay within a decent budget, but also be safe about things.  We will eventually run another 10 feet of line into the fireplace, possibly at the same time depending on cost.

Anyone around Cbus done any gas line work?  Willing to make some cash on the side but have it done right?  Recommendations, friends, family, etc?

I don't need a huge heater out there, just something to keep it about 55deg would be nice and not trip the breaker so often/at all.  Been looking at the Menards vent free heaters and the sqft sounds fine for the larger ones.

Thanks

Bigger than what you need/want but just for pricing references....I purchased a new garage style hang up heater today for one of my cabinet shops that is 220,000BTU running off propane (they do propane or natural gas). Heater and all components for under $2k with installation. Heaters can be had for $600-$1,500 depending on the size. Mine is the top of the line Modine model PDP200 with stainless steel heat exchange and was $1,484 shipped directly to my shop.

Congratulations on the twins!!

Let me know on the drywall and we will get you taken care of bud!

Thanks Bowdog, yeah I'm looking 20-30K BTU only, slightly smaller LOL!  You got all that for under $2K installed with all parts?  Dang, this has me rethinking and calling whoever did that for you for the labor and parts minus heater, unless they deal with small units too.  That had to be uber cheap for labor and parts. 

Just throwing out another option for you.  There was a discussion somewhere here on OR about this exact topic recently--heating a garage.  If you plan on using the heater more or less full-time, i.e., 6-8 hrs a day, I'd highly recommend NOT going ventless, mostly due to the amount of water vapor you'll be dumping into your sealed space.  If I was gonna do an install like you're talking, my choice would be a vented gas forced-air.  Healthier and you won't end up with damp walls and floor.  Ventless are really only meant for occasional or part-time heat sources.

Something like this:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577749_200577749

Edited by Bubba

Congratulations on the twins. I am a proud father of triplet boy's. Also wanting a wall hung gas ventless heater. Wife's cousins has one, some day he may bring it up. I plan on running hard pipe all the way to heater. And installing a shut off valve there, and then use flex line to the heater.

Just throwing out another option for you.  There was a discussion somewhere here on OR about this exact topic recently--heating a garage.  If you plan on using the heater more or less full-time, i.e., 6-8 hrs a day, I'd highly recommend NOT going ventless, mostly due to the amount of water vapor you'll be dumping into your sealed space.  If I was gonna do an install like you're talking, my choice would be a vented gas forced-air.  Healthier and you won't end up with damp walls and floor.  Ventless are really only meant for occasional or part-time heat sources.

Something like this:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577749_200577749

I remember that thread but I read it and didn't really find what I wanted.  Vented isn't really an issue, it can be hung close to the outside wall, so may look into that too.  Install looks straight forward and I was actually buying hole saws this weekend to add a deadbolt to the door in from garage so guess I'll just get multi use of them, or my dremmel. 

1 thing, definitely don't need 50,000 BTU tho lol.  I'll look much smaller than that. 

Woah, prices for direct vent heaters are WAY up there, whats up with that? 

Im curious if the vent free would be fine since I would run it off a thermostat and if I wasn't in the garage using it, which during the cold months I don't plan to be often, I would have it set about 50, maybe lower actually so wonder how much it would run and if that would still be an issue? 

I know my old neighbors had one installed in their garage for winters and that thing was always nice and toasty.

I just installed a L.B. White Guardian 100 in my garage about a month ago. My garage is 24X30 detached.  So far i love it compared to my 100K BTU propane convection heater i was using.  Just set the thermostat and forget it.  Its an option to look into anyway.  

Change in plans, going electric.  Found one that is 89.00 shipped brand new, and exactly 1/2 the size of my dads that he uses to heat his 6 car attached with 12 foot cielings.  Called him this AM to confirm and it's actually got more options than his.

5000Watt, 4000watt, 3000watt options

18,750btu

240volt, 60hz, 1 phase with fan and thermostat

89.00 shipped from some random farm and fleet store

Going to get a sub panel installed as I wanted to add outlets in the garage anyways, so just going to have this done along with it.  Pretty stoked, may actually look at getting it done sooner than later after finding this so cheap. 

That was also an invite for anyone who has/knows how to do this correctly/professionally/permit/legal to let me know if they want some side work.  PM or post up contact so we can discuss.

I don't do electrical except for small stuff, but am more than willing to help run the wire into the garage and the manual labor stuff. 

Edited by madcat6183

You may with to make 220VAC available for an air compressor,

either for yourself or as a selling feature for a potential buyer

sometime in the future.

Plenty of outlets around a workbench area is never a bad idea.

How about that overhead lighting?  Many garages are severely

underlighted when the door is closed.  Can you see as well as

you wish you could? 

Don't overlook the area directly above the

garage door, when it is open.  With the door closed, that whole

ceiling area is available to cast light upon some of your darkest,

shadowy places.  Vehicles parked in a garage block a lot of light

by shadowing areas you may wish were better lighted.

Edited by JackFlash

You may with to make 220VAC available for an air compressor,

either for yourself or as a selling feature for a potential buyer

sometime in the future.

Plenty of outlets around a workbench area is never a bad idea.

How about that overhead lighting?  Many garages are severely

underlighted when the door is closed.  Can you see as well as

you wish you could? 

Don't overlook the area directly above the

garage door, when it is open.  With the door closed, that whole

ceiling area is available to cast light upon some of your darkest,

shadowy places.  Vehicles parked in a garage block a lot of light

by shadowing areas you may wish were better lighted.

I like where your head is at, already drew up what I want run out there.  Especially for the business I plan to be doing, lots of attention to detail. 

But yeah, I am planning sub panel in the basement running to several sets of plugs, at least 1 #10 for the heater, and then space in the sub panel to add another for a bigger compressor.  I have a small one and won't need a big one for business.  But I will want plug and/or the option to add more of those and lights.  Just talked to a guy to come out Wednesday of next week to quote.

I believe Bowdog sent me an electrician too going to double check and contact Bowdog if not.

Something to think about. You can get 80k btu home units for less than $500. You can hang them too. We've been doing it in greenhouses for spares. And one for a main. They work great and best part is the ten year warranty. 80-85% efficiency and to keep at 60 degrees shouldn't cost but 20-30 a month.

I had thought that, but for 89.99 shipped and now looks like running 240 won't be much I couldn't pass up the deal.  Now if I had a big garage like my parents and was on NG I would probably do that.  Especially because we have an old 80% in the house now and want a 95-96% variable 2 stage soon, but with twins on the way, have to really crunch $$.

Plus I don't plan on needing the garage over 50deg anytime and really 45 in the winter, so not sure I would want/need that much heat.  Granted can never have too much lol.

Now I need to get in the attic this weekend and check the insulation, or lack there of, over the 6 feet of uncovered garage roof.  I am guessing it has close to none.  Probably rake some in there Sunday to help keep the heat in.