New EXACTO projectile

owndjoo

Wow!  I figured it was only a matter of time.  What worries me is when they tout this stuff you know our enemies can see this too and are going to do anything to get there hands on it!

DARPA handed out this project in the late 80s, to anyone that could come up with something. I worked on it a bit, got nothing... but did realize that guidance could go in the first round, and simple infra-red seekers could get the next 4 to 6 rounds to follow the exact same path. Cheaper that way. We were more interested in guidance for aircraft air-to-air cannon projectiles.

The DARPA project that blew our minds was to design guidance in a one inch square ablative projectile that could be dropped/launched from orbit to a target on the ground. Wut?

ablative = won't burn up on re-entry in the atmosphere

Edited by ReconRat

DARPA handed out this project in the late 80s, to anyone that could come up with something. I worked on it a bit, got nothing... but did realize that guidance could go in the first round, and simple infra-red seekers could get the next 4 to 6 rounds to follow the exact same path. Cheaper that way. We were more interested in guidance for aircraft air-to-air cannon projectiles.

The DARPA project that blew our minds was to design guidance in a one inch square ablative projectile that could be dropped/launched from orbit to a target on the ground. Wut?

ablative = won't burn up on re-entry in the atmosphere

Ala, Rod of God?