1972 CB350 No Power.

dustyxbla

Yes, some fuel probably leaked into the crankcase. Usually it's the fuel tank petcock leaks. Or somebody didn't turn it off. It should be gone after an oil change or two. Plus when the engine heats up, the fuel will evaporate pretty quick. But a lot of fuel in the oil is rough on the engine. Thins the oil out too much. I've actually seen a fuel leak completely fill the crankcase. CB450s were bad about that. Saw one trash the rings and even one that trashed the valve seats (I know, how the heck did it do that.). Owner never shut the fuel off manually.

Yikes, glad we got it changed then. The lack of a filter was perplexing at first lol

Yikes, glad we got it changed then. The lack of a filter was perplexing at first lol

Fuel filter? The only fuel filter is a screen inside the tank at the fuel pickup and another small one inside the petcock valve. Some people add in-line fuel filters on old bikes. But again, the flow rate must be high enough for the max flow rate. The little tiny fuel filters don't do that, they are for lawnmowers or something...

Fuel filter? The only fuel filter is a screen inside the tank at the fuel pickup and another small one inside the petcock valve. Some people add in-line fuel filters on old bikes. But again, the flow rate must be high enough for the max flow rate. The little tiny fuel filters don't do that, they are for lawnmowers or something...

Nope! Oil filter. They don't have one. I spent and hour trying to find one online and turns out it doesn't even exist. Snipe hunting. This bike has added fuel filters that will be replaced with the hosing. Good point on the flow rate, I would have gone for small and discrete by default.

I don't remember what's on the 350, but Honda runs oil through a spinning chamber on the end of a shaft. That separates the gunk and chunks.

That's sounds right. I was too greasy for phone use, and don't have a manual to thumb through.

I must admit I've never seen an elementless oil filter before. I'll bet the last 30 years of owners haven't either. when you clean the drum I'd save what comes out of it and see how much metal is there.

As far as your gas in oil/gas in crank case/ gas on floor issue, the float valves in the carbs are shot or full of shit.

As far as the cone filters: recon is half right. The cheap black and silver or grey ones made by emgo hinder performance but it's not because they flow less air than stock through the element. It's because there is a ridge on the rubber that mounts to the carb throat that blocks off the air jets.

I must admit I've never seen an elementless oil filter before. I'll bet the last 30 years of owners haven't either. when you clean the drum I'd save what comes out of it and see how much metal is there.

As far as your gas in oil/gas in crank case/ gas on floor issue, the float valves in the carbs are shot or full of shit.

As far as the cone filters: recon is half right. The cheap black and silver or grey ones made by emgo hinder performance but it's not because they flow less air than stock through the element. It's because there is a ridge on the rubber that mounts to the carb throat that blocks off the air jets.

I figured by the time I broke everything free in the carbs something would be shit. Upon further inspection I've found its definitely coming from the puke tubes (which the previous owner plugged with screws). More work, I guess. At least I know carbs, so you guys won't have to answer any questions there lol

Never did find the centrifuge, thanks for the post. I'll have to clean it and dump the oil again. Oil's cheap and I'm sure it needs it.

...The cheap black and silver or grey ones made by emgo hinder performance but it's not because they flow less air than stock through the element. It's because there is a ridge on the rubber that mounts to the carb throat that blocks off the air jets...

I did not know that. That would be kinda a dumb design. Way back in the old bike era, I did check out some of the pod filters. Their published flow rates weren't good enough. If the newer ones do flow ok, that's good.

And that centrifuge filter? Don't goof the little metal part on the cover that rides on spring pressure. If it fails, there is no oil pressure at all. Make sure it's working nice and springy when it goes back on.

edit: Just read the part about carb overflow and screw plugs. Yes, definitely floats goofed up or the float cutoff seat failed. Might be able to just clean it up. If corroded, probably not. Will have to replace some bits. You'll find out soon enough, after cleaning the carbs.

Edited by ReconRat

Thanks, Recon Rat. I'll take pictures of it, judging by the POs workmanship I doubt he ever opened up the centrifuge. 40 years of sludge..

I don't necessarily WANT to do pods, because I don't want to spend MY time tuning HIS bike for free. If I can make pods fit under the covers though I might just do it and tell him what it means to the bikes performance. the sooner this bike is street legal, the sooner I have my garage space back lol

Don't get me wrong! I enjoy doing this, but its not my bike and I haven't even received any beer.

Thanks, Recon Rat. I'll take pictures of it, judging by the POs workmanship I doubt he ever opened up the centrifuge. 40 years of sludge..

I don't necessarily WANT to do pods, because I don't want to spend MY time tuning HIS bike for free. If I can make pods fit under the covers though I might just do it and tell him what it means to the bikes performance. the sooner this bike is street legal, the sooner I have my garage space back lol

Don't get me wrong! I enjoy doing this, but its not my bike and I haven't even received any beer.

That's why I charge $50/hr labor.

Alright, guys. The owner just came met me at work today and gave me $350 cash to get started on his bike. I'm thinking for startes, I'll replace the tires, cables, gas lines, and rebuild the carbs. That will take me to around $250-300. His brakes suck. Bad. Front and back are drum, I've never worked on drum brakes. Can these just be rebuild and adjusted, you think? I have a hard time believing this thing went into to storage years ago with braking power this bad.

Alright, much thanks CSC (see, I learn). I'll gut them and asses the damage. Just seemed like something you could adjust back to functionality, considering it went into storage in good condition

Every shitbag fuckup of a barn find bike I've resurrected 'ran great before we stored it'. Always assume that they threw hammers at it and pissed on it while they 'stored it'. If someone cared about the bike it would be in running condition.

Every shitbag fuckup of a barn find bike I've resurrected 'ran great before we stored it'. Always assume that they threw hammers at it and pissed on it while they 'stored it'. If someone cared about the bike it would be in running condition.

You make fair points lol new shoes and cables and petcock on the way

We should totally get together and drink beer and fix bikes....

I agree entirely. It's been one of my favorite combinations lately. Not to mention I'd get to leech all the vintage Honda info directly out of your brain that way lol