Buick powered El Camino

kenny

That is baller as fuck! Has anyone put an LC2 in an El Camino before? Props on being original, that is a badass project.

I know plans change all the time as shit comes up, but when do you envision the swap being done and the car being driveable? How much power are you expecting it to make?

Spring. Power, dunno yet. Depends on how much I want to spend on it, really. I want to get 18s on it, C5 (or C6) front brakes, disc conversion on the rear, tubular trailing arms on the rear and a solid set of swaybars.

If I do all that, that will be quite a bit of cash, so then it would probably still be on the stock turbo. Assuming I keep the stock turbo and add a camshaft, hopefully a low 12/high 11 car. When I put a real turbo on it... deep into the 10s.

It will be a while before I'm 100% done with it though, a lot of little things I've been wanting to do for years now.

The actual swap won't take any time at all. Everything bolts directly up. Honestly if I spent a whole weekend on it I could probably have it alive... I want to do it slowly and cleanly, though.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keep it black. But should be cool when you are done

I'm not planning on having it painted anytime soon, the paint is in great shape. The body shit I'm talking about is like three different spots that need a little touch up. When it was painted originally it looks like they had poor prep in a few areas and it's starting to show. One spot that had some minor rust when I sold it to Marc has since shown itself, so that needs taken care of before it gets worse.

I pulled some of the chrome off already. The chrome on the wheel wells is gone, the chrome along the bottom of the doors will be gone - but how it attaches it will require body work (one of the other minor things I want done). One piece hid some rust on the rear fender, so that sucks, but it still isn't too bad. Kinda to be expected with a 23 year old car(k)...

The front bumper has the small spot it had when I sold it, probably needs re-chromed but it isn't a show car, so whatever.

Plate idea? EL NINO. It means "the Nino".

Funny thing is those Elky pics are from a fan club in Japan. Gotta love international admiration!

Also...to load up a bike, how will you do that? Detach the tailgate?...the weight of a bike is too much, right?

Bike only weighs 400lbs. Ramp, strap, roll.

Plus I'll have air bags in the rear coils... air those up, should be good to go.

I talked to guy at the next couple of lights and sure enough the guy (you) said it was a built 355 backed by a TH350 haha must of been you and I remember thinking this guy is a creep thinking this el camino is sweet, the cobra was decently modded long tubes full exhuast gears tune intake etc and it was quick, so i thought until i lost to the el camino haha

ahahaha, fucking awesome. I honestly don't remember said race because that type of encounter happened far more than I can count.

That's actually how I got into turbo Regals... I got wore out HARD by a GN that the guy told me ran 10.50s afterward (it was on Riverside Dr. as well).

It will be even more fun to do that to people when it doesn't have a cowl hood and loud exhaust. I can't wait to see the reaction to loud ass compressor surge coming from it.

ahahaha, fucking awesome. I honestly don't remember said race because that type of encounter happened far more than I can count.

That's actually how I got into turbo Regals... I got wore out HARD by a GN that the guy told me ran 10.50s afterward (it was on Riverside Dr. as well).

It will be even more fun to do that to people when it doesn't have a cowl hood and loud exhaust. I can't wait to see the reaction to loud ass compressor surge coming from it.

haha nice im looking foward to seeing it

http://images.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0604htp_1984_el_camino_01_z.jpg

http://images.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0604htp_1984_el_camino_07_z.jpg

http://images.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0604htp_1984_el_camino_03_z.jpg

DO IT!!!