Best bike (Sport Touring?) for riding to Deal's Gap/Dragon's Tail (4-5 day trip)

8Rider6

Myself, brother in laws and maybe some of their friends are planning a trip to the Dragon's Tail. We'll be riding out of Columbus. I'll be sticking with my 919, although I'm considering getting a Corbin before the trip, or at the very least, a Roho Airhawk pad. I can put up with day long rides with the stock seat, but a multi-day trip I think I'll need something to help.

My older brother in law does not currently have a bike and wants me to hunt one down for him for the trip. He's ridden for years, probably about 90% Harleys except his earlier bikes.

The main things he's looking for are comfort and something he'll be able to sell for more, or at least the same as he bought it for after the trip. He had a Street Glide for years he rode quite long distances on. He is NOT opposed to going outside the Harley brand either.

In my mind, a 2006+ FJR 1300 would be among the top choices, and/or a BMW R1200RT.

Price isn't the biggest concern, but I'd say anywhere from $5,000-15,000, the main thing being he doesn't want to lose money on it. My guess is, a $5,000-9,000 bike is probably easier to sell than a more expensive one.

Edited by 8Rider6

My VFR would be perfect and could be sold for the same price I will sell it for at this point :D

I think the VFR is probably too aggressive/too much on the sport side comfort wise for him.

How about an immaculate and fastidiously maintained Aprilia Futura V-twin (just like a H-D!!!) set up for touring….and only $4200.

Not mine but a friend of a friend on LocalRider.com.  Bike is in Cinti.

Linky:  http://www.localriders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=167085#post167085

2004 Aprilia Futura RST

30k miles
Meticulously maintained

3M Paint Protectant Film
Corbin seat with passenger backrest
Power Commander
AF1 H-Pipe
Jet-Hot Coated exhaust
Staintunes dual exhaust
Laminar Lip windshield deflector
Evoluzion Intake System with K&N Filter
RSV Intake Boot
Throttlemeister cruise control
NWS hugger fender
High Performance rectifier

Oil changed around 4k miles with Honda Synthetic Blend
Parts upgraded/changed in the past couple thousand miles:
Clutch plates, bearings and springs
Clutch slave cylinder
Plugs
Coils
Battery
Tires
Chain

All stock parts stored (seat, exhaust)
Many extra tune up parts available
Complete set of Shop Maintenance Manuals
Only Sunoco or Shell Premium fuel used

1937233_1022305338319_3402150_n.jpg

Edited by Bubba

I think the VFR is probably too aggressive/too much on the sport side comfort wise for him.

The Frenchman we met at deals gap would disagree, am I right Pauly? :lol:

But in all seriousness With the upgraded seat and bar risers, it has more of a ST riding position. I'm not quite sure how the pegs would compare though.

Paulys Multistrada would also be a fantastic choice. That baby can haul the mail with ease

Edited by Bad324

I have riden my Triumph Sprint ST to the dragon, and to Ozark National Forest out in Arkansas.  Great Medium/long range bike but still sporty enough I ran a track day with it at Jennings this year.  I wouldn't try an Iron butt ride with it but a 500mile day is no problem.

Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas

IMG_1209.jpg

I have riden my Triumph Sprint ST to the dragon, and to Ozark National Forest out in Arkansas. Great Medium/long range bike but still sporty enough I ran a track day with it at Jennings this year. I wouldn't try an Iron butt ride with it but a 500mile day is no problem.

Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas

IMG_1209.jpg

Nice bike! I have the faster blue one.

How about an immaculate and fastidiously maintained Aprilia Futura V-twin (just like a H-D!!!) set up for touring….and only $4200.

Not mine but a friend of a friend on LocalRider.com.  Bike is in Cinti.

Linky:  http://www.localriders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=167085#post167085

2004 Aprilia Futura RST

30k miles

Meticulously maintained

3M Paint Protectant Film

Corbin seat with passenger backrest

Power Commander

AF1 H-Pipe

Jet-Hot Coated exhaust

Staintunes dual exhaust

Laminar Lip windshield deflector

Evoluzion Intake System with K&N Filter

RSV Intake Boot

Throttlemeister cruise control

NWS hugger fender

High Performance rectifier

Oil changed around 4k miles with Honda Synthetic Blend

Parts upgraded/changed in the past couple thousand miles:

Clutch plates, bearings and springs

Clutch slave cylinder

Plugs

Coils

Battery

Tires

Chain

All stock parts stored (seat, exhaust)

Many extra tune up parts available

Complete set of Shop Maintenance Manuals

Only Sunoco or Shell Premium fuel used

1937233_1022305338319_3402150_n.jpg

Oh goddddd I want this.

Can't imagine how hard it is to find parts for and I barely care at this point.

Update - He ended up getting a 2010 FJR 1300 today. It was listed at $8,500 and he talked the guy down to $7,000. I rode it a bit and it IS nice. I could definitely see one in my future at some point. I don't think it's nice enough for me to want to drop $6,000-7,000 on one anytime soon vs my 919 though. Maybe I'd change my mind after a very long trip and/or cold when the heated grip would come into play =p

I will say, for weighing ~150lbs more than my 919, I would not guess it. It's very well balanced and center of gravity seems relatively low (compared to my 919). The seat is also lower and easier to flat/foot and deal with low speeds/stopping, etc vs my 919.

Edited by 8Rider6

VStrom. :lol:

Bring it on bub, bet I can ride coast to coast and still hang with you in the twisty stuff. ;) You Ducati snob......... :) By the way.......have you ridden the new 1000 model? My old 1000 is set up so well it is crazy, I can ride 500 plus mile days no problem, slay twisty roads, AND hit gravel and hardpack as well.

Edited by Pokey
  • Upvote 1

I can't edit my post, Pokey.

I haven't ridden the new model. I imagine it's better than the last, which isn't bad as it is. Seems to be the way it goes and that's the main reason I haven't ridden the 2010+ Multistradas, either. I KNOW they're leaps and bounds better than my bike.

I just like busting on you because you love that thing so much. I get it, man. My bike is ugly as sin and just turns all the right knobs for me. I do love this bike, and the fact that it's a Ducati is the least of its attributes. Truth be told, while I do enjoy riding this machine, I should have just kept my FZ6 and upgraded the suspension. It was also an awesome bike. No frills. No whistles or bells. Just simple reliability, comfort and go, go, go. My Multistrada is the same way, just with more expensive shit to service. It really has never let me down, mechanically. The only failure it's had thus far is a leaky fork at 15k miles. Meh... at least it isn't a VFR. Great bikes, so long as you don't care about charging your battery while you're riding.

:lol:

Oh I hear ya and I agree with ya, and yeah I do love those damn V-Stroms. :) I just installed a new modified clutch basket and all new rear bearings, and this bike is so smooth now it is unreal. I love the model Multistrada you have, and the current version is just unreal "rode Hoblicks when he had one". What makes bikes like the Multis and the V-Stroms such capable bikes for sport touring, is how flexible they can be for what type/style of riding you want to do. Even the 650 can "easily" run 80 to 90 MPH all day and be extremely comfortable while  doing so, but of course the 1000 does it even better. ;) The latest 1000 is quite a machine, if you ever get a chance to ride one you should give it a whirl. Now with that all being said.........my NEXT machine to likely join the Strom is gonna be a new FJ-09, talk about a sport touring machine with quite an engine.

Let's not kid ourselves gentleman. Itis widely known and agreed the silver ones are faster.

Not sure what color is faster but I know mine will do 127mph down the back straight at Jennings GP and that's about all the speed I think my self preservation gland will allow. :)
  • Upvote 1

I can't edit my post, Pokey.

I haven't ridden the new model. I imagine it's better than the last, which isn't bad as it is. Seems to be the way it goes and that's the main reason I haven't ridden the 2010+ Multistradas, either. I KNOW they're leaps and bounds better than my bike.

I just like busting on you because you love that thing so much. I get it, man. My bike is ugly as sin and just turns all the right knobs for me. I do love this bike, and the fact that it's a Ducati is the least of its attributes. Truth be told, while I do enjoy riding this machine, I should have just kept my FZ6 and upgraded the suspension. It was also an awesome bike. No frills. No whistles or bells. Just simple reliability, comfort and go, go, go. My Multistrada is the same way, just with more expensive shit to service. It really has never let me down, mechanically. The only failure it's had thus far is a leaky fork at 15k miles. Meh... at least it isn't a VFR. Great bikes, so long as you don't care about charging your battery while you're riding.

:lol:

Agreed on the FZ6. They are fantastic do-alls. Wish I would have kept it and had 2 bikes.

Of all the bikes I've owned(more than a dozen), I miss my 2005 V-Strom 1000 the most. Thanks to Pokey, the bike ran flawlessly! From Maine to the north Georgia mountains, and everywhere in between, that bike never missed a beat. I was stupid thinking I wanted something different, and I've regretted selling it since.

CIMG0620.jpg

CIMG0669.jpg

MaineTrip049.jpg

• Upvote 2