Headed to IP Saturday

ScubaCinci

I think I'm going to make a run up to the Iron Pony on Saturday. I don't really need anything but I always manage to find something I *need*. I also want to look at the Kendon trailers. I haven't decided to ride the bike or take the car. Anyone from the Cinci area interested in going and anyone from the Cbus area interested in a lunch meetup?

I live just 2 miles north of IP but will be at my kiddo's HS graduation on Saturday.  Enjoy the trip, and check out those Indians and new Ducati section they're building out.  They had a couple FJ-09s there a few days ago too (not that you'd be looking - that '14 S10 should keep you happy a while!).

Little from column A and a little from column B please.

I'm torn, one one hand there's a Hypestrada to drool over, then there's the 20-somethings behind the checkout counter. I just never know what to focus my creepy rape stare at.

Wojo72, why don't you just do it? I promise it'd be worth it. :)

Shit, if you're going to do that Wojo72, oogle an FJ-09 and then go ADV riding with us!

I've sat on IP's DR-Z400S several times but can't bring myself to pull the trigger.  Moreso wanting a used DR650, which they don't have, not even new.  Someone sell me theirs.

Shit, if you're going to do that Wojo72, oogle an FJ-09 and then go ADV riding with us!

I've sat on IP's DR-Z400S several times but can't bring myself to pull the trigger.  Moreso wanting a used DR650, which they don't have, not even new.  Someone sell me theirs.

Hmm, they must have sold the DR650 they had in there when I bought my bike. I sat on it.

You're wise to go for it rather than a dizzer, the 400 does nothing well. Well, that's not true, it tortures your asshole with that 2x4 seat better than any bike ever made.

Hmm, they must have sold the DR650 they had in there when I bought my bike. I sat on it.

You're wise to go for it rather than a dizzer, the 400 does nothing well. Well, that's not true, it tortures your asshole with that 2x4 seat better than any bike ever made.

If you're going to stay mostly on the road (paved, dirt, gravel, etc) then the 650 is awesome. Don't try to do any heavy lifting with it though. Not a good time. If I learned anything from the DR650, it's that I want a 250 or 400. 

Hmm, they must have sold the DR650 they had in there when I bought my bike. I sat on it. You're wise to go for it rather than a dizzer, the 400 does nothing well. Well, that's not true, it tortures your asshole with that 2x4 seat better than any bike ever made.

Yea, just within the last week - it disappeared before I got there. There are a surprisingly few used DR650, DR-Z400 and WR250Rs available right now.

If you're going to stay mostly on the road (paved, dirt, gravel, etc) then the 650 is awesome. Don't try to do any heavy lifting with it though. Not a good time. If I learned anything from the DR650, it's that I want a 250 or 400.

I have a CRF230L and I think it perfect for Wayne and Danville, but there's the uncomfortable challenge of getting it there with friends. It's either hitch it or ride back roads on a hard seat.

I love the idea of a 400 with a better seat but they're so tall. I want to ride a DR and see if that would be a better all-around beater and sled to get there and back.

I'm going to head out of here about 9am which should get me there a little before 11am. I open to suggestions for lunch. I don't know the area restaurants but a sit down place (i.e. Applebees, O'Charley's. etc vs fast food joint) would be my preferred option where a beer can be had and we can hang out for a bit.

At the moment I'm leaning towards riding the bike since the weather is going to be so damn nice...just hoping I don't find something I "need" that I can't carry back.

Is there still a bunch of construction up there where 270 is closed and stuff? That really fucked me up last year.

Edited by ScubaCinci

I love the idea of a 400 with a better seat but they're so tall. I want to ride a DR and see if that would be a better all-around beater and sled to get there and back.

I've owned the DRZ400 and 650, and a bunch of other mid-sizers. I never wanted to like a bike more than the DRZ, but I hated it. It's just a poor execution in a number of ways. It desperately needs a better transmission, it carries its weight up high and forward, making it feel much heavier than it is, and the geometry and wheelbase (and slushy suspension) makes it plow offroad. Doesn't turn well, and it's heavy as hell. The S is so choked up it takes a grand to get it where it should be.

On the road, it's buzzy and the narrow MX-sized saddle (even the aftermarkets are thing) make it tiring.

For an "all arounder" it just seems to suck at everything.

The WRR is a vastly better bike, or a Beta400, or a 525exc, or a plated WR450, or....whatever.

I don't mind the tall part, that's more technique than anything else...you get used to it, but I'd love it if the DRZ gets a makeover. It's a great idea, it just doesn't work very well for what it's supposed to do, IMHO.

270 is good to go on the north side.  There is a little bit of construction on 3 right by IP but it's not a big deal.  I'll park away from the building towards the auto zone.  I'm guessing that IP will be busy.  There are quite a few restaurants within a few miles.  We can play it by ear depending on who shows up.

I'm going to head out of here about 9am which should get me there a little before 11am. I open to suggestions for lunch. I don't know the area restaurants but a sit down place (i.e. Applebees, O'Charley's. etc vs fast food joint) would be my preferred option where a beer can be had and we can hang out for a bit.

At the moment I'm leaning towards riding the bike since the weather is going to be so damn nice...just hoping I don't find something I "need" that I can't carry back.

Is there still a bunch of construction up there where 270 is closed and stuff? That really fucked me up last year.

And made it home OK. Hooked up with Wojo at IP bought a pair if gloves and had some lunch. I have to say, I'm loving the cruise control on the Tenere but the seat, not so much...my ass is sore.

If you are out and about, cops are out in force. Two sports cars passed me doing 100+ on 71 south. One was a supra, not sure about the other one. About 20 mins later I came upon them on the side of the road, pulled over by the state police.