Binay from Oxford

Binay

Hello all:

My name is Binay. Currently I am in Alabama. But I will move to Oxford, Ohio in July. I own a Vstar 1300 (a picture is attached). I recently rode from Alabama to Oxford  and back. It was a fun 9 hour ride each way. In Alabama, we have the luxury of riding pretty much all year around. However, I wonder how much I can ride in Ohio. I would appreciate your opinions on how many months are fairly comfortable for riding in Oxford/Cincinnati area. I love my bike but I can't see it just sit in the garage all the time.  This information may affect my decision to keep or sell my bike.

Thank you for having me in the forum.

post-18098-0-44284600-1432486277_thumb.j

Hi Binay,

Welcome to the area, and to the forum. 

If you like riding your bike, by all means, keep it!  At worst you'll still get to ride eight or nine months out of the year. That depends on your tolerance for cold and heat. You can extend your riding calendar if you get good cold weather gear. Some people, particularly those from down south - and this might be you, tend to buy some heated gear so they can ride at lower temps. My wife says I'm not sensitive to temperatures. 

I keep my bike in the garage where I can get it out easily if the morning temp is above 30F. My ride to work is only 6 miles each way so it's not hard to deal with 30's & 40's. I get warmed up and then smile all day long looking forward to the ride home. I usually get a few days even in Jan and Feb and ride many days in December and March - if the roads are clear. 

Chris

Some people ride all year. I do not. Typically I put my bike up after thanksgiving and get it out in march.

This is pretty much standard OP for me as well but I would definitely suggest investing in heated gear as opposed to selling the bike. There is plenty of time in the rising season in Ohio especially in Southern Ohio

We have road salt. I won't ride in it. Late November to mid December it hits, and will be around till a variable March to April.

January and February can be quite cold. Ice and snow and wind. Even then, I've been out on bikes in the Winter on nice days, and I quite enjoyed it. The trick is to get a beater bike that you don't care if it gets rusty.

edit: coming from Alabama, you won't be outside much that first Winter....

Edited by ReconRat

:welcomeor:

I make trips out to Oxford on occasion and there are some awesome roads out that way. I'm a year round rider but currently I'm borrowing a bike from a friend so I doubt that I will be riding this cold season. 

Oxford is an awesome city especially in the summer months when all the college kids are gone. When classes start back up prepare for idiot pedestrians that think they are invincible.

I'll ride easily from March through November provided the roads are clear. Once the salt starts I will garage her, but the riding season is definitely longer than you'd think if you invest in the proper gear for it.

Heated gear would be a must below 40, in my experience -- that, or at the very least some layers with very good-quality insulation like goretex.

• 2 months later...