F4i overheated?

F4iBunny

So a couple weeks ago I was in traffic 270 and 23, barely moving. I stalled the bike when just letting off the clutch a little too much (not moving enough for throttle) then it wouldn't start. Fan had been running prior as is was 88 degrees out. When I tried to start the bike again, the dash lit up, temp said 136 but it wouldn't start. Bike started right up after being plugged into battery tender over night. So did the bike just shut down because of the temp? Battery is bad (it's about 5 years old)? Stator bad? Anyone have the equipment to test the battery/stator? I haven't ridden since then because I'm afraid to get stranded again. 

Just kidding, it was actually 236 temp. I've tested the battery and its at 12.5 with bike off and 14.5 with it running. Stays at 14.5 at 5000 revs. Read somewhere if number is higher when running, that means the alternator is good. Ugh! The stator is going to be the hard part. Replaced it on Bret's ZX-10 and I had to put it on because none of the man hands could fit into the tiny space.

Just kidding, it was actually 236 temp. I've tested the battery and its at 12.5 with bike off and 14.5 with it running. Stays at 14.5 at 5000 revs. Read somewhere if number is higher when running, that means the alternator is good. Ugh! The stator is going to be the hard part. Replaced it on Bret's ZX-10 and I had to put it on because none of the man hands could fit into the tiny space.

Replace the battery.

The meter reading from off and on tell me the stator and R/R are good.

14.5 is pretty normal for a charging system.  With the bike off it is 12.5....what does it drop to when you crank it to start it?

You have FI and all that stuff.....they won't start if the voltage drops too much while cranking.

how much juice does it take for the fuel pump to 'prime' for starting?  I would wager a LOT less than it takes to crank over the engine.

It's the ECU's that won't fire. I can't speak to this specific bike but on Kaw cruisers with FI if your battery voltage drops too low during cranking the ECU won't fire the spark plugs. Very very common, experienced it on my Nomad.

• 4 weeks later...

Typically you can do an overnite charge with a battery tender and get it load tested to see if its good, but 5 years old, screw it, replace it. 

If you have a multimeter (they are cheap) you can check the stator and R/R. Also, Honda's are notorious for frying the stator/RR connector, look at that.