Honda grom

rawlins87

At the same time Honda released the Grom I owned a CBR250R. I found the 23 hp of the 250 to be lacking in day to day commuting situations. It was fun some of the time but the lack of power was basically why I sold it. I realize that the Grom is considerably lighter but 9 hp is sort of low. You could fit a supercharger & have the fastest Grom ever maybe, but why.

• Upvote 1

At the same time Honda released the Grom I owned a CBR250R. I found the 23 hp of the 250 to be lacking in day to day commuting situations. It was fun some of the time but the lack of power was basically why I sold it. I realize that the Grom is considerably lighter but 9 hp is sort of low. You could fit a supercharger & have the fastest Grom ever maybe, but why.

It's a scooter can't really expect a whole lot of speed.

People claim 60-70mph modded. I'm happy with crusing 45-50.

If you're happy at 45-50 mph... The grom is perfect.

I sold mine for 2 reasons: 1. Was to pay cash for another bike rather than financing. 2. A little disappointed it wouldn't hold 55mph comfortably (motor was screaming and struggling), most roads around my house are 55mph speed limit.

I miss my grom everyday. I'm sure I'll have another at some point.

When my CBR, sells I am seriously considering picking up a scooter in the 125-250cc range.  It'll be for under 55 running around town and perhaps teaching a teenager how to ride. 

I need to test ride a Zuma 125 and an Smax.

who uses their scooter gently?

There's a cool XL250 up on the buy/sell/trade Facebook group.   The guy is asking too much for it, but I kind of want it.  17" rear wheel is stock, so if you can swap in a CR80 front fork setup, you get 17" wheels on both ends and a disk front brake. 

...maybe I should make an offer

To elaborate my next purchase will be either a ruckus, ttr125 to street sumo, zuma125 ot grom.

Ruckus=variator/rollers and CDI cruising speeding spd mid 40s

Zuma125 lowered cruising spd 50-55

Ttr125 sumo 17" wheels Baja designs kit cruising spd 45-50

Grom= lowered maybe pipe, cold air and efi controller crushing speed 45-50.

I saw a Grom in rush hour today on I-71 South just before it gets to 480. He looked like he was topped out at 65-70 mph. I gave him the thumbs up when I passed cause he's definitely got bigger balls than me.

I have no experience riding a Grom, but it seems like most small bikes are capable of hitting the rev limiter in top gear.

I really want to see what an XR can hit with 15/46 gearing, or even shorter if I can find smaller rear sprockets.