And one more Dragon raid, along with….

Bubba

….the Devil's Triangle, the BRP, Roan Mountain, the Snake, and the Back of the Dragon.

Wherein two naive boys from the midwest head into the mountains of Tennessee, North Carolina and West Virginia to meet a couple of complete strangers from CraigsList….only to be greeted by the sound of banjos from the shadows of the hollers. :eek:

DAY 1

Dice and I rolled south Sunday morning toward Lenoir City, TN, outside of Knoxville, to meet up with Bob Summers (BackRoadBob) from somewhere in Arizona and Randall Slone (TexRideStrong) from Dallas, both members of the CraigsList motorcycle forum.  They were on a discovery adventure to experience the twisties of the Blue Ridge mountains, as they had heard we easterners had a few curves we were keeping secret from the rest of the riding community.  Dice and I slabbed it down 75 to Corbin then jogged west across 90 and 700 to 27 south to Wartburg.  Our first stop was at Brushy Mountain State Penitentary (closed in 2009) where the infamous James Earl Ray was incarcerated.

Brushy-Mountain.jpg

IMGP2021.jpg

We rode the switchbacks of Frozen Head SP and Devil's Triangle (TN116)…

IMGP2022.jpg

IMGP2027.jpg

I even did a bit of gravel slinging on Walden's Ridge Rd, leaving Dice to fend for himself on 330.

IMGP2034.jpg

IMGP2038.jpg

…and then on to Lenoir City to meet up with Bob and Randall, reassured that we were staying at the Kings Inn….not the Queens Inn!  (Wink, wink, nod, nod)

IMGP2049.jpg

We rode over to a nice upscale boutique bar/bistro called Aubrey's--I rode bitch/squid with Tex--and then sat around on the motel porch later and had a few cold ones to break the ice.   :cheers:

IMGP2056.jpg

IMGP2058.jpg

MoFo Road Show:  Day 2 (cont)

Took 28 south (Hellbender), with a stop at the Iron Horse Lodge in Stecoah to check out the facilities…

IMGP2070.jpg

...to Franklin, then across Elijay Rd to 107, then 281/Canada Rd and Charley's Creek and 215 to the BRP, then back down 276 thru Brevard and across the mountain to Caesar's Head SP and on into Lyman, SC, near Spartanburg to meet up with another MoFo, Kyle (Cowboy).

IMGP2072.jpg

IMGP2078.jpg

IMGP2079.jpg

IMGP2080.jpg

View from Caesar's Head SP:

IMGP2082.jpg

IMGP2086.jpg

Cowboy's ranch in Lyman, SC:

IMGP2087.jpg
Edited by Bubba

2015 MoFo Road Show:  Day 3

Apparently I suck at photo-documentation, as there are no pics from Day 3, presumably meaning that it really didn't happen.  Here's a few screen shots of the route we rode….IF we actually rode it. 

From Lyman, SC, we rode north on 9 to Lake Lure and then west on 74/Alt 74 past Chimney Rock Sp toward Asheville:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-02%20at%201.46.4

We picked up the BRP north to 80, and followed 80 all the way to Bakersville:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-02%20at%201.44.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-02%20at%201.43.4

…and from there across Roan Mountain and on to 421/Shady Valley (Back of the Dragon) to Denton Valley Rd into Abingdon and on to Marion, VA:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-02%20at%201.42.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-02%20at%201.48.1

MoFo Road SHow:  Day 4

From Marion, VA, we rode 16 north thru Hungry Mother SP (The Back of the Dragon) to Tazwell and then more back roads to Hamlin, WV.  Last pic is my first and only attempt at a selfie, taken at the Moose Lodge in Hamlin, where I split up from Bob and Randall.  They continued north to Athens, OH, and I rolled west on 3 and 10 to the AA Hwy and home.  Apparently, the Boomer generation is unable to grasp the simple steps to put together a good selfie that the Gen Xers and Gen Y's are so adept at.  Notice that there are no duck lips, no ominous sneer, just a scary old guy concentrating on pushing down a little button on a camera….

IMGP2091.jpg

:lol   :lol   :lol   :bang

Rode for 4 days and 1450 miles and didn't experience any rain at all.  Great ride with great friends!!!

Oops.  Screwed up the order of the post.  This is the beginning of Day 2 leaving from Lenoir City, TN.

MoFo Road Show:  Day 2

Bob apparently lives on his motorcycle, because he carries everything he owns with him, including the kitchen sink.
"Dammit!  I know I left that stainless-steel double-bowl Elgin in here somewhere…"

IMGP2059.jpg

Left Lenoir City and rode to the Dragon via back roads (presumably why Bob's handle is what it is….)

IMGP2060.jpg

IMGP2062.jpg

IMGP2063.jpg

IMGP2064.jpg

Obligatory Calderwood Dam overlook pic:

IMGP2067.jpg

Obligatory stop at DGR:

IMGP2069.jpg
Edited by Bubba