school me on the 99-04 mustang GT's

oldschoolsdime92

Pre 02 had plastic intake manifolds known to crack. Updated ford racing model available.

Gas tank grommets go bad occasionally.

Fuel pumps aren't overly reliable

Interior feels kinda cheap

Can't use front cup holder unless you get a short throw shifter

Most important: if you change plugs, make sure to use a torque wrench... If the plugs aren't perfectly torqued, they can break... I had one shoot out while I was driving down the road, and it's a very common issue

Overall, they're pretty unreliable cars... But I bought it as a toy, drove the piss out of it, and fixed it any time I broke it (I destroyed the spider gears in rear diff at the track)

My next fun purchase will be a 03/04 cobra. Loved the car, despite any issues.

Spent hundreds of hours on Mustang forums for this model, so if you have specific questions feel free to ask and maybe I'll have an answer for you.

And just to post whore it up, here was mine... I miss this car. I converted it to a drag car and lost interest... Can't wait to pick up a cobra... Probably 2 more years sadly... My best advice: GTs are slow. Don't bother hacking it up in the pursuit of power, because it's just not worth it... Better off getting an ls1 car if that's the goal... Once I swapped the motor, she saw the streets 3 more times then went up for sale

Fognowords.jpgCIMG1439.jpg

Edited by Steve Butters

The Mach 1 still has cast internals and still blows up at 450rwhp just like the GT. If your goal is power, go with the cobra, it's also 4v but has forged internals rather than cast... I never understood the Mach 1... They put upgraded heads on it but stuck with the same junk internals

Edited by Steve Butters

I had a GT for a few years, and quickly realized it wasn't fast.  It was however, a convertible, 5 speed, V8 that was fun to drive.  Especially in the twisties.

post-13259-0-46418600-1436389154_thumb.j

Edited by Ron505

What mods have been made from a stock gt to a saleen? Besides suspension and body mods? Any different engine? I know tht they have an option with a supercharger, but did they beef up the block and intake at all to accommodate that?

The Mach 1 still has cast internals and still blows up at 450rwhp just like the GT. If your goal is power, go with the cobra, it's also 4v but has forged internals rather than cast... I never understood the Mach 1... They put upgraded heads on it but stuck with the same junk internals

450 is still a good amount.

And who cares when it's just a fun car. Put a different filter in it, full exhaust and tune. Nothing crazy but a good car.

Nothing wrong with 450, all I was saying is both the GT and the Mach 1 have the same limitations, so there's nothing making the Mach 1 stand out over a GT other than price and styling. If a fun cruising around car is the goal, the GT does it just as well as the Mach 1, and for cheaper (and without the ugly rear pillars, matte rocker/hood/wing stripe, and wheels)....The shaker hood is kinda cool though

Edited by Steve Butters

Thats nuts! The only plans for this is suspension stuff. Keeping engine stock, to help maintain reliability. I just want a decent handling car thats fun to drive. Are there any big things I need to keep an eye out for that these cars have issues with?

...get a 350Z instead of a mustang.

Thats nuts! The only plans for this is suspension stuff. Keeping engine stock, to help maintain reliability. I just want a decent handling car thats fun to drive. Are there any big things I need to keep an eye out for that these cars have issues with?

03/04 cobra has IRS.. Much more $$ though than GT

no major problems... I listed most... Steering rack bushings are prone to rot because of oil filter location, swap with poly and good to go

Aside from heads shooting plugs, they're prone for timing chain tensioner and guides wearing... Cheap and easy job though if you're even semi mechanically inclined... And the intake manifold... If yours leaks though, replacement was like $200 when I got mine, it's not bad and it's updated design from 02+

My boss picked up a "fun" car 09 vette just to toy around with. Next thing he new he had over 100k into it and 1200hp to the wheels. So much for a cheap toy. Lol.

Corvette and "cheap toy" cannot be mentioned in the same sentence without hilarity.