Parts washers - Worth getting?

imagineer

Since most every mechanical part on the 1978 MGB I'm working on is protected with a thick layer of leaked oil, grease, grit, etc; I'm thinking of picking up a small parts washer (probably the 6.5 gallon HF unit).

I'd like to hear from those folks out there that have a parts washer in their garage and get their opinions if having one proved to be worth the cost and space?

What I find more useful then a parts washer is a ultrasonic cleaner, especially for carburetors. I have a Kendal commercial unit available on Amazon for $170 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4468J0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DGPV9NRMX3SU&coliid=I29Q8ISDQT9L31 

For big stuff (engine cases & such) I just use gas and a paint brush.

Parts washers just give you a place to do the scrubbing. The safety clean chemical is an oil base and doesn't hardly do anything... It's the scrubbing action that takes care of the grit.

You can get one, but we all use it as basically a station to brake clean the crap out of things. Brake clean is a miracle drug in automotive shops.

If you find a used one, a hot tank is the best. Just set it and forget it!

Had one on the shop I worked at. They came and got the chemical, then replaced with new chemical. Big metal tub sat on the drum and recycled the juice. You can make your own degreaser juice with some jshop. I can get you gallons of it near cost.

Kinda like this used one for $150. I never knew new ones were over $600.

50 gallon R&D Parts Washer $150

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/5107870901.html

Edited by Gump

Im working on a '77 MG Midget.  Thank god i have access to all i need at work. Parts washer, bead blaster, bigger oven to PC parts than i have at home and a full machine/fab shop at my disposal. 

Parts washer are nice to knock most of the heavy loose grim off before blasting but i dont think i would want to deal with one at home.  At home i just shoot brake cleaner on the part over a bucket and scrub a little with a brush. I have a hard enough time getting rid of used motor oil in a timely fashion and thats just running it up to the parts store. 

My father in law had one he was going to give me. It was old as hell and if i remember right you could hook it up to an air line and the basket inside would move up and down to kinda wash the parts for you.  I do remember it weighted a fuck ton and i didnt want to move it.