New toy..

Heagachongoose

So I sold the ttr225 I had for sale on here, used that cash to go pick up this beaut! It's a 98 WR426F, and it is mean. Runs like a top. These really are amazing bikes. I've got all the paperwork in order to get the street title for it and should have it on the road in less than a week. Only thing missing is wheels... I need a set of 17in wheels that will fit it so I can get these knobbies off of here. Until then, I'll just play in the dirt! 

wr426_zpsjavhaiwx.jpg

You're doing pretty much what I plan to do with a smaller bike.  Thinking 100-250cc 2-stroke.

Before you spend a ton on 17" wheels, the stock rear is 18"

do some research on if you can lace a rear rim to a front hub using the spoke setup from the rear wheel.  Then your build cost is only in the $150 range, rather than hundreds of dollars for a set of 17's.  Ending up with 18" front and rear certainly doesn't give you a ton of tire options, but it will improve the geometry of the bike a lot over 18/21. 

Edit** looks like Pirelli Sport Demon's or Bridgestone BT45's would fit.

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1

You can ride dirtbikes on the street legally? I never knew that. I would love to have a bike like that to just ride around for fun.

No.  You can take a bike with an offroad title and then ask to have it reclassified as a street-legal vehicle.  Depending on which BMV you go to, that may be as simple as signing a piece of paper asserting that you have added the necessary lights, horn, etc.  If the BMV worker is feeling bitchy, they will insist that you go through the procedures as if the bike were "rebuilt" after a salvage.  That means inspection by the OHP.

but once you get the street title, you can plate it just like anything else.

You're doing pretty much what I plan to do with a smaller bike.  Thinking 100-250cc 2-stroke.

Before you spend a ton on 17" wheels, the stock rear is 18"

do some research on if you can lace a rear rim to a front hub using the spoke setup from the rear wheel.  Then your build cost is only in the $150 range, rather than hundreds of dollars for a set of 17's.  Ending up with 18" front and rear certainly doesn't give you a ton of tire options, but it will improve the geometry of the bike a lot over 18/21. 

Edit** looks like Pirelli Sport Demon's or Bridgestone BT45's would fit.

Cool! +1'd! I was just thinking about that Earlier. Wheels are definitely the expensive part...