Demo bike

jhawk

I have been drolling over a BMW S 1000 R since they came out and came across a 2015 fully loaded with 770 miles on it for $2500 off the cost of new. I assume this is the dealerships demo unit, but haven't heard back from them yet. My thoughts are that it has probably had it's first service due at 600 miles and is broken in. It is how it was broken in that concerns me. 

Also, the bike is located out of state so should any issues come up, the place is 8 hours away. Which leads me to my next question of buying an out of state bike, will there be any issues registering it here and how is sales tax done?

Thanks for opinions!

If it is sold to you as new you may have to pay sales tax in the state you buy it, but Ohio will give you credit for that amount towards Ohio's sales tax I say may have to pay because some states won't collect if you live in Ohio. But either way you are covered.

I am unsure how sales tax will work if it is sold as used.

i wouldn't worry too much about the break in, just if it has any existing issues and if they did the service.

that said, use that pricing as leverage against a local dealer, i'm sure someone will play ball.  good luck, those are cool bikes!

Ad says factory covered warranty thru Jan 2018

BMW has a three year warranty from date of sale, that is transferable to the new owner. That makes me think this is technically a used bike, that it was titled in January of 2015.

also note that demo bikes being sold are sold as new.  warranty starts when you buy it.  i bought my 11 multistrada that was a corporate demo.  i had no issues with it, it was dealer service, and warranty started at my time of purchase.  it was a great bike.

sales tax works as follows.  you pay the sales tax for the county where you buy it.  so if bought lets say in PA and the sales tax is 5% there.  and the sales tax in your county in ohio is 7.5%  (this is considering you finance)  you would pay the 5% during the deal in PA, then the other 2.5% when you do the title stuff back in ohio.

otherwise, if you buy the bike outright, and bring the title back to ohio, you would pay the entire 7.5% at the title office in ohio, since you would not be doing any title work in PA