Sena 10U in a Shoei Neotec

JustinNck1

OK, first thing I want to say is thank you to Mike at Riders Discount. He gave me one heck of a deal on this system and I couldn't be happier. I wanted this headset due to my SMH10 has some age on it, and it has served me well. Nothing wrong with it, just thought it was time for an upgrade. So the 10U is build for the Neotec, everything is exact fit, which made install a breeze. I had the SMH10 removed and the 10U installed in less than 20 minutes. I charged everything up and started playing with all the settings. I will say, the remote will take some getting used to, but it makes it so much nicer by keeping your hands on the bars. If your someone who keeps your hands towards the inside of the grip, you might have issues. My pinkie fingers naturally rest on the bar ends, so I had no clearance issues. The clamp does come pretty close to the clutch lever when squeezed in though.  My phone paired right up no issues, connected to my dad's Sena 20s in intercom mode, no issues. My first ride out, i noticed how much quieter my helmet is without having the unit on the side. The speaker quality seems better than the SMH10 and plenty of loudness. I do not wear ear plugs, but it would be plenty loud enough even if you were. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. Once again, thanks to Mike at Riders Discount for giving an awesome discount, and using my 10U for the photo shoot. Here are some pictures of the unit installed on my helmet and the handlebar controller.

20150811_165734_zpsyet5yfy8.jpg20150811_165757_zps0c0xhgdf.jpg20150811_165907_zpsq0uxotdl.jpg20150811_165824_zpsyz06nd6w.jpg20150811_165837_zps1hrvojpk.jpg20150807_170502_zpsxuta5p79.jpg20150807_170455_zpsyu8gdo29.jpg20150807_170509_zpsmdow9tl2.jpg

Edited by JustinNck1

My first ride out, i noticed how much quieter my helmet is without having the unit on the side. The speaker quality seems better than the SMH10 and plenty of loudness. I do not wear ear plugs, but it would be plenty loud enough even if you were. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. Once again, thanks to Mike at Riders Discount for giving an awesome discount, and using my 10U for the photo shoot. Here are some pictures of the unit installed on my helmet and the handlebar controller.

Nice write up.

I researched this a few weeks ago and Sena claims the speakers on the the 10u are the exact same as on the SMH10. You should wear earplugs...it actually improves the sound quality as long as they don't block too much noise. I use Hearos silicone that are rated NRR21.

How well does the mic pick up?

Nice write up.

I researched this a few weeks ago and Sena claims the speakers on the the 10u are the exact same as on the SMH10. You should wear earplugs...it actually improves the sound quality as long as they don't block too much noise. I use Hearos silicone that are rated NRR21.

How well does the mic pick up?

The mic picks up really well. The only issue I had was the VOX system thinks I am saying a command when I open the chin bar. It picks up the mechanism moving, not the wind.

That is my dream set up, everything right down to the color. Just cant justify the price. but i would love to have a Neo. I currently have a Nolan N90 with the SMH10 in silver 

I thought the same thing, but the price you see online is alot different from the price Mike can get you. Idk why, but silver helmets is my niche thing. I always buy a solid light silver helmet.

Well idk if it's scientifically true, but I would imagine a silver helmet reflects sunlight better than a black helmet, which in theory shouldnot be as hot. That is why i bought my first helmet in silver, and its been silver helmets ever since.

Well idk if it's scientifically true, but I would imagine a silver helmet reflects sunlight better than a black helmet, which in theory shouldnot be as hot. That is why i bought my first helmet in silver, and its been silver helmets ever since.

Totally true. My black helmet is very warm...almost hot...to the touch when riding. My wifes white one or her silver one is not. The difference is huge.  Going to replace mine before next year with white.

One question on this...do you have to plug it in while on the helmet (as opposed to the SMH10 that you can pop off and charge it anywhere)?

Yes, the unit is hardwired to the speakers, so you have to charge the helmet. I think with the correct 90 degree usb cable about 6 inches long, and a battery pack, I can charge the unit while wearing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have hit my first issue with the 10U. While riding to work today, my unit just shut off. I charged it and nothing. I can't get any response. So, I took the unit back out of the helmet and tried some troubleshooting, and still nothing. Sent my email to Sena to see about a replacement.

Well, I have hit my first issue with the 10U. While riding to work today, my unit just shut off. I charged it and nothing. I can't get any response. So, I took the unit back out of the helmet and tried some troubleshooting, and still nothing. Sent my email to Sena to see about a replacement.

One of my Smh10 did that too. Sena sent me a new one before I even sent the defective one back because I had a trip coming up and they didn't want me to miss out having it. So it was easy working with them for replacment.

One of my Smh10 did that too. Sena sent me a new one before I even sent the defective one back because I had a trip coming up and they didn't want me to miss out having it. So it was easy working with them for replacment.

Yeah some friends of mine had their 20s go bad, and Sena sent one out to them real quick. I hope I can get a speedy replacement, riding season is getting thin.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've had mine for a few weeks, I thought I'd chime in. I have a Neotec as well.

Unit in helmet -

Overall easy to install though fitment could be better. Because of the extra thickness in the rear from the flange inserted to hold the main unit, the plastic behind the liner in the back bulges out in one spot on mine. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to lay flat with the Sena unit installed. I don't feel it while wearing the helmet so in the end, not a big deal. The liner snap near where the mike/volume unit is wants to come unsnapped easily because of the thickness of the flange that fits around the snap. If there's any lateral pressure put on the mike, it comes unsnapped. Again, not really a huge deal but a little annoying. At least I can use the mike on here unlike the SM10H which required snaking the boom up under and around the skirt which doesn't quite reach and not ideal for raising and lowering the chin bar. My snaps are not worn, I've only unsnapped them a few times since I've had the helmet.

On me, the mike rests lightly against my mouth. Could be my fat face. Since this is not adjustable, there's not much I can do. It's not too much of an issue but if I haven't shaved for a day or so the stubble catches on the foam cover so I have to contort my mouth a bit to talk.

The sound is just like my SM10H and works great with my phone. I like the sleek style but since I have a large windscreen, didn't notice a difference in wind noise without the protruding housing of the SM10H.

I fit the foam pieces on the speaks as one side seemed to rub my ear...I have the soft velcro piece still in the helmet leftover from the SM10H so they sit closer to my ears. With the foam on it works great and I like the way the speakers mount in the helmet.

The Remote:

I'm not a fan of the remote. When mounted on the inside of my grip, it restricts movement of my clutch handle (I have shorty levers) unless I have it positioned just right. The joystick knob gets in my way when reaching for the horn/signal. The buttons are difficult, if not impossible to find with gloves on...the top one you can at least see to get at but I can never find the bottom one. For me, it simply can't stay on the inside part of the grip and I have been using it on the outside which is out of the way but much more awkward to use and at that point, I might as well be reaching for the controls on the helmet.

The joystick knob is way too sensitive. It's very easy to accidentally bump and change the volume or pause music. I like the idea of the remote but for me, it doesn't help its intent which is to make things safer and easier.

Other thoughts:

Overall, it works well so far (have not used it as an intercom) but I liked the functionality of the SM10H better except for the microphone which has better (but not perfect) placement in the helmet on the 10U. I really prefer the wheel button control on the SM10H. It's easier to use with gloves and not prone to being accidentally activated.

The other thing I noticed is that when wearing the helmet, you can't see the LED of the unit to make sure it's still on, etc. On the SM10H I could look in the mirror and see it blinking blue and double check. I was rare that I need to do this but it's something I noticed.

I also liked the fact that on the SM10H I could remove the unit and charge it or if I left the helmet on the bike (rare for me), I could take the unit with me to prevent theft. Having to lug the helmet in is more of a pain and the position of the charge port is not optimal.

Since I've had mine for a few weeks, I thought I'd chime in. I have a Neotec as well.

Unit in helmet -

Overall easy to install though fitment could be better. Because of the extra thickness in the rear from the flange inserted to hold the main unit, the plastic behind the liner in the back bulges out in one spot on mine. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to lay flat with the Sena unit installed. I don't feel it while wearing the helmet so in the end, not a big deal. The liner snap near where the mike/volume unit is wants to come unsnapped easily because of the thickness of the flange that fits around the snap. If there's any lateral pressure put on the mike, it comes unsnapped. Again, not really a huge deal but a little annoying. At least I can use the mike on here unlike the SM10H which required snaking the boom up under and around the skirt which doesn't quite reach and not ideal for raising and lowering the chin bar. My snaps are not worn, I've only unsnapped them a few times since I've had the helmet.

On me, the mike rests lightly against my mouth. Could be my fat face. Since this is not adjustable, there's not much I can do. It's not too much of an issue but if I haven't shaved for a day or so the stubble catches on the foam cover so I have to contort my mouth a bit to talk.

The sound is just like my SM10H and works great with my phone. I like the sleek style but since I have a large windscreen, didn't notice a difference in wind noise without the protruding housing of the SM10H.

I fit the foam pieces on the speaks as one side seemed to rub my ear...I have the soft velcro piece still in the helmet leftover from the SM10H so they sit closer to my ears. With the foam on it works great and I like the way the speakers mount in the helmet.

The Remote:

I'm not a fan of the remote. When mounted on the inside of my grip, it restricts movement of my clutch handle (I have shorty levers) unless I have it positioned just right. The joystick knob gets in my way when reaching for the horn/signal. The buttons are difficult, if not impossible to find with gloves on...the top one you can at least see to get at but I can never find the bottom one. For me, it simply can't stay on the inside part of the grip and I have been using it on the outside which is out of the way but much more awkward to use and at that point, I might as well be reaching for the controls on the helmet.

The joystick knob is way too sensitive. It's very easy to accidentally bump and change the volume or pause music. I like the idea of the remote but for me, it doesn't help its intent which is to make things safer and easier.

Other thoughts:

Overall, it works well so far (have not used it as an intercom) but I liked the functionality of the SM10H better except for the microphone which has better (but not perfect) placement in the helmet on the 10U. I really prefer the wheel button control on the SM10H. It's easier to use with gloves and not prone to being accidentally activated.

The other thing I noticed is that when wearing the helmet, you can't see the LED of the unit to make sure it's still on, etc. On the SM10H I could look in the mirror and see it blinking blue and double check. I was rare that I need to do this but it's something I noticed.

I also liked the fact that on the SM10H I could remove the unit and charge it or if I left the helmet on the bike (rare for me), I could take the unit with me to prevent theft. Having to lug the helmet in is more of a pain and the position of the charge port is not optimal.

I would agree with all of these statements except for the unsnapping issue. I haven't had this issue. The remote is definitely too sensitive.