No more Indy MotoGP?

DAC

I'm not seeing any info on Indy having a MotoGP spot for 2016. Two new sites, Austria and Chile, have contracted for next year according to Wikipedia and there are now 18 slots filled. Same # as this and most other years.

Brno had meeting with Dorna during their race weekend and evidently came out with a contract. Indy had a similar meeting but didn't end up with a deal.

I'm new to the race scene, but it's been cool going the last couple years. Be a shame if they stopped.

I recall hearing that the infield repave bought Indy a few more years. Maybe 5 more, with 2 of those already gone now(?)

Five year, renewed yearly, and either side can walk away at any time. So, it's very possible one side or the other is walking. I'm very sad to say it, but I don't think Indy is going to be on the schedule next year. All other agreements are in place for next year.

Well, glad I went out this year then. That sucks...

Same. It was great professional motorsports inside a four hour drive of here. Oh well. Probably won't do COTA. Time and money and this move doesn't exactly make me a bigger fan of FIM/Dorna/MotoGP.

3 American rounds was never going to be a long-term sustainable arraingment, and COTA and Laguna Seca are simply better tracks.  more exciting anyway.  Indianapolis is historic, and the pavement is pretty awesome now, but the layout just isn't famous...  Honestly, if you showed me a track map graphic, I couldn't identify Indy.  I can definitely identify Laguna, and I think I'd be able to ID COTA.

I am a bit surprised that they're keeping 2 rounds that are both in the 'Western' US, but they're probably still far enough apart to draw different crowds.  That (in my mind) is the biggest obstacle "US Motorcycle Racing" faces - the sheer size of the country.  It's really financially straining for teams to race in Laguna, and New Jersey.  AMA Pro used to do that part right, IMHO.  They ran the supersport 600's in East and West regions, and then held 1 national event at the end of the year to determine the overall class champion. 

I'm not sure what the most 'central' track in the US is...  Road America, or COTA is my guess.

MOTOGP did not race at Laguna this year. And I really do not believe it will come back anytime soon. WSBK raced there this year, but I do not see that lasting.

It would be nice to have a world class road course in the east coast/mid-west! COTA is a 20 hour drive...if only they had given more thought to Barber and made it a little safer and larger, we would have seen MOTOGP and WSBK there over the years. They would also have to invest heavily in the facilities adding garages and such for either class to take Barber serious.

MotoGP hasn't been at Laguna since 2013. The new track in Argentina replaced Laguna on the schedule. WSBK used to race at Miller but left due to low attendance. Indy is a great venue to watch the race but it is too big a venue for the audience MotoGP or F1 (back in the day) attracts to be financially feasible and put a good product on TV. The last thing sponsors want to see if a bunch of empty seats on a TV screen. With no significant American presence in either series (no offense to Nicki) it's a hard product to sell in a NASCAR bubby nation. It will suck if Indy is indeed dropped. I have enjoyed the weekend each of the 8 years.

Edited by cmh_sprint

I have no idea about this place, is it close enough to civilization to have a show? Indy would still be great. Just a few hours from cbus, Chicago, St Louis etc..

I went to a WSB race there 3-4 years ago - great facility but not close to anything. The stands were completely empty and there was no real vendors area either. Kinda like indy in that it is extremely flat and a long track.

Laguna is a freakin' hole - have been to 3 races there and swore I'd never go back. The track itself is cool, but there are no facilities at all at the place. Single lane traffic getting in an out. I spent  4 hours trying to get out of my parking space so i could get in line to exit. Very few porta-shitters and limited food vendors as well. Sitting in dirt to watch the race. The place just sucks balls.

Did COTA last year for the MotoGP - great track and facility, but again. not many peeps there. It's kinda out in the boonies, too but not too bad. In downtown Austin, you had no idea a bike race was in town. Very few bikes around, nothing like Indy's blocked off streets or Monterrey's Cannery at all. The town needs to get behind the track and celebrate the event a bit.

Glad I made it this year. 

Road racing in america just isnt road racing in europe. I'm surprised They make the expensive trips over here twice a year.

Yeah. Good point. They can schedule Austria, Brno and Germany all in a row and save a ton o' money. I don't know tracks much, but Indy looks better than Brno at least. Maybe I'll go to Road America next year for MotoAmerica.