I now favor stricter gun control laws.

Tonik

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I'm thinking that we might want to step up the training process for OH CCL to be more rigorous again.  I'm not ever gonna claim to be a tournament marksman, nor will I ever be anything that remotely resembles a spec ops-grade shooter, but some of the people in my class tonight were TOTALLY CLUELESS when it came to understanding even the most fundamental basics of firearm safety and use.  After listening to and watching the lack of knowledge and experience among the participants, I'm not even sure I'll feel safe tomorrow night during the range testing.  The thought that they could be walking/driving around in public carrying a SA within the next couple of weeks makes me want to stay home and lock my doors.  Of the 12 people in the class, I'm not sure I'd trust more than 3-4 of 'em with anything more deadly than an air soft pistol.  Instructor is ex-Marine, retired LEO with many years in RENU (narcotics), and if I was him, I'd wave my hands and cry "Uncle!" rather than graduate more than half these folks.  If this is the norm for the average CCL holder, shit is gonna start to get wonky REAL QUICK!!!

Man, I'm thinking that we might want to step up the training process for OH CCL to be more rigorous again. I'm not ever gonna claim to be a tournament marksman, nor will I ever be anything that remotely resembles a spec ops-grade shooter, but some of the people in my class tonight were TOTALLY CLUELESS when it came to understanding even the most fundamental basics of firearm safety and use. After listening to and watching the lack of knowledge and experience among the participants, I'm not even sure I'll feel safe tomorrow night during the range testing. The thought that they could be walking/driving around in public carrying a SA within the next couple of weeks makes me want to stay home and lock my doors. Of the 12 people in the class, I'm not sure I'd trust more than 3-4 of 'em with anything more deadly than an air soft pistol. Instructor is ex-Marine, retired LEO with many years in RENU (narcotics), and if I was him, I'd wave my hands and cry "Uncle!" rather than graduate more than half these folks. If this is the norm for the average CCL holder, shit is gonna start to get wonky REAL QUICK!!!

I think instructors are supposed to fail students they feel don't meet the requirements.

• Upvote 1

Idiots with guns? No WAI!

Magz:  That was kind'a my point.  As I stated, I'm a relative newb when it comes to handguns, so when I decided to buy one, I did a lot of research online on what handgun would be appropriate for my use, what was reliable, what was easy to maintain.  Watched "How to" videos to learn the basics of handling, use, cleaning.  That was before I even walked into a store to look at models and price.  I've taken several basic handgun classes and shot 400-500 rounds thru at least 3 different caliber SAs just to get proficient with handling, aiming, safety.  When I decided to go for my CCL, I assumed the class would be made up of very experienced shooters with a real need for self-protection based on occupation or other critical need.  WRONG!!!

The great majority of attendees were complete newbs, half of whom neither currently own a gun (they had to pass out 5 of those cute orange "dummy" pistols for training) and the ones who had purchased have NEVER FIRED their handguns that they recently purchased!  The most basic concepts--how to load a round into the chamber, how to determine if the gun is in the RTF state, keeping the muzzle pointed down-range, keeping the trigger finger out of the trigger guard until target acquisition, clearing the chamber after dropping the magazine--were all totally unpracticed skills.  It's as if the only reason they're getting their CCL is for "fun"....and they'll be walking among us with loaded SAs.

Magz:  That was kind'a my point.  As I stated, I'm a relative newb when it comes to handguns, so when I decided to buy one, I did a lot of research online on what handgun would be appropriate for my use, what was reliable, what was easy to maintain.  Watched "How to" videos to learn the basics of handling, use, cleaning.  That was before I even walked into a store to look at models and price.  I've taken several basic handgun classes and shot 400-500 rounds thru at least 3 different caliber SAs just to get proficient with handling, aiming, safety.  When I decided to go for my CCL, I assumed the class would be made up of very experienced shooters with a real need for self-protection based on occupation or other critical need.  WRONG!!!

The great majority of attendees were complete newbs, half of whom neither currently own a gun (they had to pass out 5 of those cute orange "dummy" pistols for training) and the ones who had purchased have NEVER FIRED their handguns that they recently purchased!  The most basic concepts--how to load a round into the chamber, how to determine if the gun is in the RTF state, keeping the muzzle pointed down-range, keeping the trigger finger out of the trigger guard until target acquisition, clearing the chamber after dropping the magazine--were all totally unpracticed skills.  It's as if the only reason they're getting their CCL is for "fun"....and they'll be walking among us with loaded SAs.

Based on what you are saying it sounds like this course can be done without ANY previous training or use.  A CCL should not be a beginner course.  It should only be available after passing stringent other courses. These are bloody firearms not toys! 

Based on what you are saying it sounds like this course can be done without ANY previous training or use.  A CCL should not be a beginner course.  It should only be available after passing stringent other courses. These are bloody firearms not toys! 

This is not how the law is set up, there is nothing required to sign up for the class.

As for passing or failing, I bet they all pass, they just have to hit the target on the shooting portion. If they are having issues the instructor should work with them to get them able to hit it.

Since abortion is a constitutional right and ends with a death should there be multiple stringent training courses and tests before you are allowed to have one? Also, someone please post up how many people have died or been seriously injured by CHL holders discharging accidentally or wrongly.

1.5 million babies are aborted each year due to accidental discharges.

Since abortion is a constitutional right and ends with a death should there be multiple stringent training courses and tests before you are allowed to have one? Also, someone please post up how many people have died or been seriously injured by CHL holders discharging accidentally or wrongly.

That is a completely separate issue.  But I believe you mean to say fetuses not babies.  They are not the same thing legally. 

Can we talk about religion next? :eatdrink:

Freedom of Religion, another constitutionally protected right that does not have mandatory training classes that has killed boatloads of people. The Catholics and their Crusades's, the Muslims and their Jihad or whatever they are doing? Religion has killed millions yet we don't require any training for that.

And I am still waiting for someone give me some statistics where licensed CHL holders have committed a statistically significant  number of accidental murders.

That's the problem with the anti-2nd amendment nuts. They spout out all this bullshit about unsafe gun owners but when you look at the numbers you find out they are full of shit. And that the gun show loophole accounts for pretty much none of the illegally used guns on the streets, further filling them up with shit.

And that the fucking homicide rate in the US is currently at a damn near ONE HUNDRED YEAR LOW.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tonik:  Point taken.  However, I'll be very surprised if the class doesn't have 100% pass rate.  Tonight is the written final exam and range test.  If I find out the pass-fail rate, I'll post up tomorrow.

Everyone passed in my class. Even though some of those people shouldn't be allowed to hold a gun let alone conceal carry one imo.

This is not how the law is set up, there is nothing required to sign up for the class.

As for passing or failing, I bet they all pass, they just have to hit the target on the shooting portion. If they are having issues the instructor should work with them to get them able to hit it.

I haven't taken the range exam yet, but it was described last night as having to put a minimum of 8-9 of 10 rounds into a full size torso target at distances of 3 and 5 yds, so a total of 20 rounds toward the target.  Even a rank newb should be able pass that with their eyes closed.  I realize that's supposed to mimic the most likely threat scenario in an encounter, but really...

Not gonna go anywhere near the abortion/religion button on a motorcycle forum, but my feeling is that CCL will become somewhat akin to the problem we all face as road users:  that the state requires such minimal level of training and  competency as far skills/knowledge/awareness for issuance of a driver's license, the "stupid quotient" behind the wheel of an automobile is increasing at an almost exponential rate.  Apply that same scenario to CCL and you can see where I'm going.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong!!!

I would be willing to bet that 99% of the people that have zero experience will quit conceal carrying within 3-6 months anyway.

We can only hope this is the case.

• Upvote 1