Guess which bike 2.0: Redemption

NinjaDoc

thx  guys. I just got couple of days to ride it. Since buying the bike its been raining. (i know its my fault :( )

Hopefully can try out some minor mods i did to it, plus have to hit more interstate to get used to the weird glide feel. So far i am getting used to it on the back roads. Its really is a fun machine. Did some short distance two up as well. Little guy struggled a bit in some steep sections. But otherwise very easy to handle despite the load and very comfortable for the passenger as well.

Bubba, I was really torn between the versys and strom. But mainly the older design which i like much better. But int he end more cards stacked for the strom. I would also echo the opinion from others. If more performance u want its better to step up to the big players, pound to pound and bang for buck and cluster bomb proof reliability wise i think the newer stroms are better choice.

Did some short distance two up as well. Little guy struggled a bit in some steep sections.

One word: Downshift. Redline is 10k and peak power is above 7500, so don't be afraid to rev it and long as you're not seriously bogging things for the first few hundred miles. You'll probably also find that there's not a lot of engine braking in higher gears, so enter tight turns one gear lower than you'd expect for better speed control with just the throttle.

If price is no object, there's no reason to get a V-Strom. The Tiger 800, FJ, several BMW models, Tenere and others all excel in paper and in the field if you're really wringing ADV bikes out to the max.

However, if you'd rather save the $4-10k difference for accessories, fuel, camping equipment and the like, and still get a bike that does everything pretty damned well for less up front and lower ongoing costs, it's hard to do better than the value of a DL650.

And as you already know and realize, what's good better or best on paper....is not always factual.

• Upvote 1

Still keeping it clean around 4-7 rpm till 1K :D plus I am coming from a zx, so the difference slaps me in the face. But I am more happy :)

You'll be even happier when you pass your mileage limit and rev the engine out.  :D

Out of curiosity, since this is touching on some "adventure bike" stuff... Did you compare the nc700x to the weestrom and versys?  

yes fun bike, even though heavy it has low cog compared to the others.  But to me it feels like it excels in city commute situation with mighty MPG and ease of handling etc.Power to weight is still bad,  But for longer and fun stuff the others are better. i kinda formed an impression like this

Nc700 - High MPG, good storage best for commute and urban

Versys -Most reving Fun in twisty single day road warrior

Vstrom-  Most reliable middle weight tourer multi day multi purpose soldier

yes fun bike, even though heavy it has low cog compared to the others.  But to me it feels like it excels in city commute situation with mighty MPG and ease of handling etc.Power to weight is still bad,  But for longer and fun stuff the others are better. i kinda formed an impression like this

Nc700 - High MPG, good storage best for commute and urban

Versys -Most reving Fun in twisty single day road warrior

Vstrom-  Most reliable middle weight tourer multi day multi purpose soldier

That's exactly what I concluded in December 2013.  I also looked at the CB500X but wanted something a more offroad-capable with a proven lineage and better two-up comfort.  Also at the time, the Versys didn't have ABS, so that was a deal breaker for me - there's no way I was going to buy a brand new bike without ABS.  Both the Versys and NC700 are available today with ABS.

Excellent article; maybe the best comparison I've seen.  In fairness, the Versys edged out the V-Strom in a few other reviews based on subjective criteria like flickability and curve fun-factor, and the last ride I was on showed a Versys 650 perfectly capable of gravel and packed dirt in stock form.  That said, I'd rather be on a DL650 for multi-day rides and especially 2-up touring than the shorter and lower Versys.  There are more luggage, bash plate, engine guard, seating and farkle options for the Strom too.

There are things I didn't like about my 2013 DL650ABS:  The stock seat was OK, but I added a heated Corbin for 10x the comfort.  I have to add mirror extenders for every bike I own, this one included.  I wish it had more adjustable suspension, but honestly that's probably just me being fussy because I think the stock suspension is pretty competent.  It's heavy - 475 lbs wet, and I'm not a big guy, so she's an adrenaline-dumping handful in anything resembling mud.  I had to add new handlebars and risers to bring the bars back enough to ffully de-stress my spine, but there's only so far you can go with stock cables and lines.  Access to the airbox and valves requires a whole bunch of plastic removal.  There is wind buffeting with the stock screen, and that drives some people batty; it doesn't bother me that much.  The FI can be a bit abrupt, so I feather the clutch at very low speeds to soften the response.  I mentioned light engine braking - the individual jugs just aren't very big, so you need to downshift while entering turns to maintain optimal control.

On the upsides, the FI, engine and clutch are SO, so smooth at every RPM and every speed.  There's plenty of torque in the low RPMs which really helps with off-road maneuvers.  Normal maintenance is cheap and easy to do yourself.  All-day two-up comfort is excellent, especially with a top box and a back cushion for an sense of security.  Useful load is excellent; I have no problems keeping up with 1-up bikes while 2-up or loaded down with camping gear.  I love the looks of the 2012+ models.  The gauges are well-laid-out and easy to use.  They're easy to accessorize - perhaps too easy.  The bike feels planted in every situation I've put it in and it performs as well as a carburated 750cc sport bike of days gone by.