2016 Scion iA

redkow97

I saw one of these in the parking lot Monday and it caught my attention.   Looked like a nice little 4-door that might almost be called "sporty" if you opted for a manual transmission.  Based on its size, I assumed it will put up good economy numbers.

The internet says this "scion" isn't really a toyota, but rather a re-badged Mazda 2 with a chassis option (4-door) that Mazda doesn't offer in America.  Okay.  No problem.  It's a 1.5 liter putting out 106hp in a 2400 lbs. car.   Still okay with that.  And it starts at $16,000, with moer standard features than I expected.

I may have to look at this when the 'rolla bites it.  Unfortunately I think I would have to go with the 6-speed automatic, but (somehow) the EPA estimates that will increase the fuel economy by a tick, so I'll get over it.

Anyone own a scion?  I have always liked the TC (despite how girly it comes across), but they get horrible mileage for the class...

I'd go with a fiesta over the ia.

I'd actually like the utility of a hatchback, but I think my wife would hate the look.  That's what intrigued me about the iA - it's the smallest and best proportioned 4-door I've seen on the market in a long time.  The Hyundai Elantra might come close, but at that point I may as well buy another corolla.

I'm not really looking for a car, but the check engine light on the rolla came on a week ago, so i window-shop.  I was pretty convinced I would just end up buying a newer corolla when this one expired, but now they're switching to a CVT, and unless it's getting amazing economy, for some reason CVT's are red-flags for me...  I would like to be able to tow a few hundred lbs., and the CVT certainly isn't designed for that.   I wouldn't be towing all the time, but it would be nice to be able to use MY car (instead of taking my wife's and swappign the car seat) to drop the XR off at the shop, or drive it down to GA to race at Herrin's.

How are they barely a Mazda?  My Mazda 6 is rock solid so far.

Ford and Mazda have shared platforms for decades.  I presume that's what he was alluding to.

The Mazda MX-6 and Ford Probe were cousins, as are the modern Mazda 3 and Ford Focus.  The Fiesta and Mazda 2 are even more closely aligned.

I have a 2010 Scion xB and my wife had a 2009 tC. We bought them both new. She upgraded to the 2014 Mazda6 when they came out. But we both love/d the scions. Not 1 issue between the two of them other than crappy mpg. Mainly because they only had 4-speeds. The newer tC's have a 5-speed.

I use the xB to tow my track bike around, some of you may have seen it. I have 63,000 miles so far. Only cost so far is brakes, oil and tires. 

But both of our scions used the corolla 2.4 engine. I doubt they used a mazda chassis for the iA as scion is a toyota sub-brand. But they may have. 

Ford and Mazda have shared platforms for decades.  I presume that's what he was alluding to.

The Mazda MX-6 and Ford Probe were cousins, as are the modern Mazda 3 and Ford Focus.  The Fiesta and Mazda 2 are even more closely aligned.

As of the 2013 model year for the 3 and the 2014 model year for the 6 they are 100% Mazda.

But both of our scions used the corolla 2.4 engine. I doubt they used a mazda chassis for the iA as scion is a toyota sub-brand. But they may have. 

I believe that's the Camry engine. 

I considered buying my coworker's xB with a 5-speed manual, but she wanted way too much for it.  It was higher mileage, so I wasn't going to drop $6500 on it.  I think she still has it and plans to drive that in the winter to keep her Jeep nicer.  Because that makes sense...

boring to drive sucks.  Boring to own is awesome. 

I got a set of 4 tires for the 'rolla for like $230 installed...  I run it to 4,000 miles or so between oil changes, and although the check engine light is on right now (i'm suspecting something w/ teh thermostat), it's still getting 33+ mpg.

I may buy a new front seat for it when this one hits 150,000 miles...