Fork Stands

imagineer

Reluctantly, I’m preparing to put the toys away for their winter naps and would like to store the Bandit on stands.   

I picked up two HF steel cheapies; and the one for the swing arm fits and works just fine. 

I’ll have to fabricate some sort of adapters to use the same basic stand for the front end of the bike.

In looking around the interweb, I’ve seen basically two approaches for lifting at the bottom of the forks.  

One uses two horizontal pins that ‘cradle’ the bottom of the fork slider.   The mounting plate for these pins can rotate freely.  

The other approach used a single (fixed) pin that engages a hole in the bottom surface of the slider.  

Which is the preferred method?    Does anyone use spool style stands and lift via the front axle?

What is the common wisdom about leaving the front suspension in full droop for an extended time (as it would be by use of the triple tree clamp)?    I recall hearing somewhere that it's not good to leave the forks at full extension and carrying the weight of the front wheel assembly.

I have a lift table and home made fixtures for raising the front or rear (or both) for wheel service when needed.    What I'm going for here is just a means of storing the bike, off the tires, for the winter.

What is the common wisdom about leaving the front suspension in full droop for an extended time (as it would be by use of the triple tree clamp)?    I recall hearing somewhere that it's not good to leave the forks at full extension and carrying the weight of the front wheel assembly.

you could either remove the front wheel, or put a small car jack under the wheel to hold a portion of the weight - i have never been concerned enough to do either.  If i removed the wheel, it would be to keep my tires indoors for the winter.

I find it laughable when people over think winter storage of a few months.

I give mine a bath put on the centerstand stand plug it into the tender. DONE

Its the echo chamber effect. One guy comes up with the idea, convinces a few people and it just echo's across the internet forever.

I find it laughable when people over think winter storage of a few months.

I give mine a bath put on the centerstand stand plug it into the tender. DONE

This ^^^^

Edited by flick311